Sweden says NO to no classics! Ullevi still not even close to sold out

Our newspaper took a special GigaPan (huge, zoomable 180° panorama) photo at the Gothenburg concert, and added a layer that makes it possible to tag yourself using Facebook. Close to 1 000 people have already tagged themselves! :edmetal:

http://ironmaiden.fantag.eu

Markus
Göteborgs-Posten

Play Classics has a point about
"When the wild wind blows" , it simply doesn't work live. I was at their gig in Athens and i noticed the same thing about this song even though the live version is MUCH heavier and better than the studio one.

johnglen said:
"When the wild wind blows" , it simply doesn't work live. I was at their gig in Athens and i noticed the same thing about this song even though the live version is MUCH heavier and better than the studio one.

I agree, I would prefer Avalon, think it would work better live .. I am going by clips, have not seen this leg of the tour in person

Seems that Metal Hammer's bullcrap had some result after all.Thank god I was there and I know it was nowhere near as bad as they described it.

I don't know what was going on on the back but on the front there was a real mess - YES during WTWWB as well.It was an awesome night and I don't care if some Slipknot-Mastodon-Gojira-whatever-other-shitty-band fans got bored because they only listen to Trooper and Fear Of The Dark.F*** them.
I suggest that Maiden should never play again on a festival in Greece.Oh and never give the honour of an interview or whatever to the local joke that holds the MH logo.No matter how hostile those asses are, there are still fans that love the band(including Janick  B)) and not just a few songs from the 80s.

bearfan said:
I agree, I would prefer Avalon, think it would work better live .. I am going by clips, have not seen this leg of the tour in person

Disagree entirely. Saw aforementioned spoiler at
Soundwave in Brisbane
and thought it was awesome, powerful, and well done... made me like the song even more (and it was already a 10 in my book). I'd love to hear it from now on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEMo6KKfwbo

I'm just going to wait for the DVD and then decide what I think of the songs live.
but I'm still very disapointed in the lack of Starblind and Isle Of Avalon

johnglen said:

Maybe the "problem" is that the song has no chorus at all? There are hardly any repeated lyrics either. That doesn't make for a sing-along-friendly song. However, I can't understand why it should be hard to sing along to the intro of the song. It's not more complex than Fear of the Dark ...

You know what some classic Maiden songs are hard for a live crowd to participate with?

- Revelations
- Rime of the Ancient Mariner
- The Clairvoyant
- Iron Maiden
- 22 Acacia Avenue
- Children of the Damned
- Where Eagles Dare
- Infinite Dreams

...among others

But all of those "classics" are around 6 minutes or less. It is difficult in a live setting to play a stream of 7+ minute songs, no less several in a row that are unfamiliar or unliked by many in the crowd. Metallica complained about the reception they got on the Justice tour which was mainly due to the length of the songs. I saw Maiden at the infamous "Play Classics" show, and as much as I love Maiden, that was a tough show to sit through. I think they could have played all of AMOLAD and the reception of that tour would have been much better if they intermixed older songs throughout the set, and maybe even rotated a few songs in and out of the set once in a while. They had the same problem in the US with the first leg of the TFF tour, starting with 11 songs in a row from the past decade.

But I loved that show. Out of the three I've seen, it was the best. And partly due to the reason you just explained. I was so used to a set full of classics (the same ones in fact) that I was very pleasantly surprised when they did something different. Now I wouldn't have a problem with classic tours if they would do more than just the normal TETMD, Trooper, NOTB, RTTH type thing. Like in 2005 when they dug deep a bit. More of that and you have a good classics tour. I could do without a Somewhere Back In Time tour, except for Rime of course.

MaidenCanada said:
You know what some classic Maiden songs are hard for a live crowd to participate with?

- Revelations
- Rime of the Ancient Mariner
- The Clairvoyant
- Iron Maiden
- 22 Acacia Avenue
- Children of the Damned
- Where Eagles Dare
- Infinite Dreams

...among others

I agree about Revelations, Rime, and Infinite Dreams, and to a certain degree 22 and Where Eagles Dare. But The Clairvoyant? Seriously? That chorus works great live. Children of the Damned is also great for singing along to. And the signature song? I think it works really well, because every fan knows it in and out.

Eddies Wingman said:
I agree about Revelations, Rime, and Infinite Dreams, and to a certain degree 22 and Where Eagles Dare. But The Clairvoyant? Seriously? That chorus works great live. Children of the Damned is also great for singing along to. And the signature song? I think it works really well, because every fan knows it in and out.

Yep, Clairvoyant is probably one of the greatest real live ones. Time to live, and a time to

DIE!

Oh, those songs all rule. No question.  My point is that a lot of those (widely-considered) classic songs still don't have the "sing-along" quality that some of more recent songs have, such as Blood Brothers, Brave New World, These Colors Don't Run, No More Lies, or The Wicker Man.  In other words, it's the song itself that gets the crowd into it, not the age of the song.

But that isn't why people complain that there aren't any classics. They just want to hear those songs. It isn't about which ones are best to sing along to.

Mosh said:
I could do without a Somewhere Back In Time tour, except for Rime of course.

And Powerslave, of course.

And Moonchild, of course.

And songs like Heaven Can Wait or Can I Play With Madness that haven't been played in Denver in well over a decade.

Plus the amazing show, stage, and mindblowing pyro...

You say you could do without it, but it was an absolutely amazing tour. You have no idea what you missed. :p

I forgot about PS and Moonchild. I think HCW is a bit overrated and I despise CIPWM being played live.

I meant setlist wise, not stageshow. If they did SBIT with a setlist that was more in line with the Early Days tour then it would be great.

SinisterMinisterX said:
And Powerslave, of course.

And Moonchild, of course.

And songs like Heaven Can Wait or Can I Play With Madness that haven't been played in Denver in well over a decade.

Needs more of the forgotten songs, like Still Life and Stranger in a Strange Land (or even Powerslave!). I mean if they do another "classics" tour in the next few years, they really should pull out some rarely heard songs from their discography instead of just playing the regular songs like they normally do.

Somewhere Back in Time was the best concertI have ever attended.  The set list is unmatched, ever.  As much as I love ALL the reunion stuff, that was unreal and the electricity in the crowd was overwhelming.  This being said, a tour with rarely played classics would be even better in my book.
   I would love a set list that would include Still Life, the Prisoner, Losfer Words, Back in the Village, Purgatory, The duelists and to tame a land, among others.  I still believe a tour with the entire Piece of mind or entire NOTB as 1/2 the set list

Back