Sweden says NO to no classics! Ullevi still not even close to sold out

Perhaps we are finally seeing people vote with their feet, after being shocked by the setlists of the last tours.

I for one would welcome such a move, as it might force Maiden to drop the ego ball and get their act together when putting down the setlists.
I know a lot of people who were as upset as me with the AMOLAD tour, and even more so with the Sonisphere gig this summer.

Maiden have played Ullevi - Sweden's biggest outdoor arena - twice before, and those gigs sold out in hours. Now, there are still plenty of tickets for the gig even though they went on sale three days ago.

I sense a change coming. Time for Harris & crew to stop overlooking the best part of their works, and start digging out the treasures even for the new album tours.
People know by now that a new album Maiden tour = BOREDOM, so sorry Steve, but you can't expect people to show up in such numbers anymore.
Fix your setlists, or move to smaller venues.

Why don't we wait more than three days? It couldn't have something to do with Maiden JUST touring, it has everything to do with the setlist.

What a fucking tool.

I'm expecting his user rating to be - infinity before soon.

But seriously, I think the fact TFF was no. 1 in Sweden for 3 weeks (right?) shows that it isn't the fact it's not exactly like Sweden hates The Final Frontier or new Maiden. The financial crisis and the fact they were over there 2 months ago are more likely causes for the low(er) sales. Also, I'll be surprised if it doesn't sell out.

I remember standing in the arena in Chicago on AMOLAD, and Bruce saying "we'd rather play this album to 6,000 of our closest friends that appreciate what we are doing, than to 20,000 people that don't understand our work." (Or words to that affect). They don't care if you don't like their setlist.

The Finnish stadium hasn't even sold out the field, though I've understood that was partly due to technical problems which showed the field as sold out when it wasn't, causing people to buy seats instead.  I highly doubt that the primary reason is the setlist, since TFF sold platinum here and went to no. 1 almost everywhere.  

One guy on a Finnish forum called it "Maiden hangover"; Maiden just toured here (and got an excellent response, by the way), so there's less anticipation and waiting.  Also, they played these same stadiums in Finland and Sweden two years ago, which also lowers the excitement.  In addition, there's been loads of "big bands"  who sell out stadiums in Finland lately, which raises the threshold for the mainstream people to buy tickets.  Everyone at those stadium gigs isn't a huge Maiden fan, there's loads of people who listen to what you'd call mainstream music (which includes Maiden) and don't automatically buy Maiden tickets.  I think some people also have a feeling of already having seen this tour, since it's still named the TFF tour.  And finally, the announcement came pretty much out of the blue; no one was expecting it so soon, whereas the SBIT tour was basically anticipated since the Early Days tour.  

Sure, SBIT was special and caused some people to buy tickets which they would not have bought if the theme was something else.  Despite this, I don't think people "voted with their feet"; it wasn't a negative reaction, rather, the lack of a positive one.  SBIT was anticipated already before it was announced, and came well after the AMOLAD tour.  It was also marketed well (Ed Force One, etc.).  This announcement wasn't well planned, and I think it would have been smarter for Maiden to choose smaller venues this time round.  It'll sell out eventually; the same with Sonisphere, which took over half a year to sell out.

Let's just wait and see if they sell it out or not. If the stadium is half filled, PC will have been right. If there's a good turn out he'll be full of shit. Let's just wait and see.

I reckon July 1st is ages away so there's no rush to buy tickets just now. As has also been pointed out, the new album sold by the truck load in the Nordics so Maiden seem to have the numbers on their side. The lack of "classics" didn't stop them selling out in my country. The set list was known and the place was still full. In fact the crowd increased by nearly 50% from the last time they played here because the venue was made much bigger...

and start digging out the treasures even for the new album tours.

I agree. If that means digging up Still Life, To Tame A Land, Caught Somewhere In Time, Sea Of Madness, Infinite Dreams, No Prayer For The Dying...and replacing overplayed worn-out Run To The Hills, Fear Of The Dark, Trooper, et cetera.

Zare said:
I agree. If that means digging up Still Life, To Tame A Land, Caught Somewhere In Time, Sea Of Madness, Infinite Dreams, No Prayer For The Dying...and replacing overplayed worn-out Run To The Hills, Fear Of The Dark, Trooper, et cetera.
But that's not what PC wants. He wants songs from the reunion albums to be replaced by older stuff since he pretty much hates the reunion stuff.

Re: Sweden says NO to Play Classics!

Out of curiosity how many times have you listened to the new material PC? It took me years to like DOD and BNW

I almost forgot this:
bzic1.gif

Have a praise, Travis. I feel that way about both the sentiment and the poster.

Thanks. He used to do the same thing and start similar threads on the official free forum stating his opinions which just ended up pissing everyone off.

You're the one on here thinking Maiden will change their ways just because YOU don't like the new stuff. Well, guess what? They don't cater to fans like you. It's the fans that truly love and appreciate what they're currently doing that they like the best. Look at how well the new album sold and how highly rated it was. I highly doubt people will be bored hearing the new stuff based on that.

Relax lads. PC has always been a wind up merchant. But on this point he's actually put his opinion on the line and I actually respect that. As I previously stated, if Maiden get a bad turn out a Ullevi he'll be fully justified to have made this thread, if they get a good turn out we can all finally tell him just how wrong he is. Let's just wait and see who is right us or him. It's gonna be interesting watching those ticket sales in the coming months.

Maiden played to a sold out Sonisphere this summer. I was there and it was awesome and they got a great response. Ullevi will be sold out, anything less is highly unlikely.

Back