Sweden says NO to no classics! Ullevi still not even close to sold out

snake plissken said:
if Maiden get a bad turn out a Ullevi he'll be fully justified to have made this thread
snake plissken said:
Let's just wait and see if they sell it out or not. If the stadium is half filled, PC will have been right.

Nope, think again.  If Ullevi (or Helsinki, or insert any other venue) fails to sell out, it doesn't mean that it's because of the set list.  The set list may be a contributing factor, but not the only reason and I would say not even the main reason; see my earlier post for other possible reasons.  Sonisphere Pori failed to sell out immediately when it came on sale.  No one was pointing fingers at the SBIT setlist then.  I remember there were several members of this forum (no names mentioned) who were disappointed with the set list (eg. Fear of the Dark, RTTH), and that didn't affect them seeing Maiden again. 

I have several friends who love Maiden and loved last gig, but who didn't buy tickets; they didn't feel like forking out 70 euros for Maiden so soon after the last show, or felt that they had already seen Maiden several times so didn't have a huge need to see them again.

Play Classics! said:
Insecure little persons finds differering views threatening and responds angrily, what's new?

My problem with you is that you treat your opinion as the Gospel truth. I don't believe in that Gospel, I sure as hell don't believe in yours.

Invader said:
Nope, think again.  If Ullevi (or Helsinki, or insert any other venue) fails to sell out, it doesn't mean that it's because of the set list.  The set list may be a contributing factor, but not the only reason and I would say not even the main reason; see my earlier post for other possible reasons.  Sonisphere Pori failed to sell out immediately when it came on sale.  No one was pointing fingers at the SBIT setlist then.   I remember there were several members of this forum (no names mentioned) who were disappointed with the set list (eg. Fear of the Dark, RTTH), and that didn't affect them seeing Maiden again. 

I have several friends who love Maiden and loved last gig, but who didn't buy tickets; they didn't feel like forking out 70 euros for Maiden so soon after the last show, or felt that they had already seen Maiden several times so didn't have a huge need to see them again.

I take your point. The new album is the whole reason for this tour and it will be a vastly different set list as a result. If there is little interest in seeing it, the crowd will be poor and PC will be correct. If however fans want to see The Final Frontier fully supported live by the band, they will buy tickets and the crowd will be great. Simple as that really. There's nowhere to hide in this thread and that's why I like it. I fully expect Maiden to pull a healthy crowd. If that happens I'll be happy to shove it down PC's throat. If the crowd is poor though I will concede he is right and take it on the chin.

snake plissken said:
I take your point. The new album is the whole reason for this tour and it will be a vastly different set list as a result. If there is little interest in seeing it, the crowd will be poor and PC will be correct. If however fans want to see The Final Frontier fully supported live by the band, they will buy tickets and the crowd will be great. Simple as that really. There's nowhere to hide in this thread and that's why I like it. I fully expect Maiden to pull a healthy crowd. If that happens I'll be happy to shove it down PC's throat. If the crowd is poor though I will concede he is right and take it on the chin.

I think you misunderstood me a bit, so I'll say it again.  If enough crowd does not show up, it does not mean that they didn't show up because of the set list, and it does not mean that PC is right.  Last summer's tour might have a lot to do with it, and other reasons I listed earlier in the thread.

I'll certainly want to see Maiden live whenever they come here in support of TFF. I love the album and I haven't seen them live this year.  As for PC, the little I gather of him, he is always complaining about Maiden not playing enough "classics".  The classics usually include the old staples, but not the old gems.  Invader has made a good point, and I expect Maiden to fill those Nordic venues.  I respect Plissken's opinion too.

Seriously, who here does not give the new album 4/5 or better?

Invader said:
I think you misunderstood me a bit, so I'll say it again.  If enough crowd does not show up, it does not mean that they didn't show up because of the set list, and it does not mean that PC is right.  Last summer's tour might have a lot to do with it, and other reasons I listed earlier in the thread.

I understood you perfectly. I just don't necessarily agree with you. Maiden booked this gig on the back of a new record, if people don't go it will have been a massive miscalculation by management. In my opinion they will get a very healthy turn out but we shall see.

snake plissken said:
if people don't go it will have been a massive miscalculation by management. In my opinion they will get a very healthy turn out but we shall see.

I'd say that perhaps last summer gigs were more of a miscalculation than this tour; if the Nordics would have had to wait 3 years for Maiden, the stadiums would probably have sold out on the first day.  They probably make more money with stadium gigs than festivals anyway.  On the other hand, I think it's a good thing that the management are taking some risks; Maiden can afford not selling out a few stadiums.  If Maiden and their management took no risks (in touring or otherwise), we'd have less tours, smaller venues, probably wouldn't have heard the whole of AMOLAD live, and Maiden wouldn't be where they are now.  

People are so ungreatfull.

Maiden are coming for a second time in a short time and they whine about the set list.
I'd go see Maiden if they played the entire VXI with TAATG played three times.

LooseCannon said:
My problem with you is that you treat your opinion as the Gospel truth. I don't believe in that Gospel, I sure as hell don't believe in yours.

Testify, brother LC, TES-TI-FY!

Can I hear an Amen?

Mega said:
PC is so ungreatfull.

Maiden are coming for a second time in a short time and they whine about the set list.
I'd go see Maiden if they played the entire VXI with TAATG played three times.
Fixed.

Forostar said:
Not a chance.

I agree with you but we'll have to wait for them to sell a lot of tickets before we can finally tell PC how wrong he is. In the mean time I'm just gonna listen to The Final Frontier....a lot.

And PC hasn't responded yet.  I'm guessing, he's only trolling with this one.  How many are surprized?  I'll take Plissken's lead and go listen to some TFF.

Play Classics! said:
So, one's a troll for not liking the same Maiden songs as you?  Wow, you're bright...
No, but stirring up trouble while ignoring people's counter arguments like that of LC's and generally behave the way you do could very well point to it. You sure as hell don't come off as resonable, regardless of what songs you may like or dislike.

So to sum it all up: A lot of people like Maiden's old songs. I do too. A lot.

A lot of people like Maiden's newer songs. I do too. A lot.

A lot of people bought The Final Frontier. I did too.

A lot of people go to Maiden's shows when they play classics. I do.

A lot of people go to Maiden's shows when they don't play a lot of classics. I do.

People bitch and moan every single time they don't just play older material instead of being grateful for them playing anything at all. You do and I don't. You can't always please the fans who only likes the old songs. For fuck's sake dude, we've had Ed Huntour, Early Days, Powerslave tour revisited and give me Ed tour - In the last 10 years, focusing on classics. And then there was of course 10 years in the 80's where they only played that material (because they didn't have anything else). Seriously, there's no reason to whine. Let us other fans have our share of the cake too, without moaning.

Back