Sun and Steel

How good is Sun and Steel on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A fun, catchy chorus. Nothing special, but something very good. Overall...

7/10

6/10. My least favorite song on Piece Of Mind. I'm actually pretty surprised they actually allowed this song on the album lol. That being said, it's not a bad song or anything, just super cheesy backup vocals on the chorus. The song may have been pretty good without the backup vocals on the chorus since it has some very good guitar and the vocals themselves are superb.

7/10, lowest on this album for me. I'm not inflating my ratings; Piece of Mind is that strong from cover to cover. Listening to this song now, I think Bruce's vocal here presages his "raspy" 90s. It's why this song falls short for me.

7/10. Very underrated, a funny little song which livens up the second half of the album (among the brooding Still Life and Tame and the weird Quest) and actually make Piece easier to digest. Always loved the chorus, nothing changed.

5/10

Sun and Steel is fun, but simply too cheery. By the time Bruce shouts, “rollin’ on and on,” however, I’m on board and fist pumping to the absurdity. The chorus is far too chirpy, but the earnest delivery sells it. Not great, but listenable. It’s worth noting that this is the first Maiden song about sword-fighting, a field where Bruce Dickinson also excels: he’s a world-class fencer.

Love this song. I consider it the under appreciated cousin to FOI. It's mind boggling that this isn't a classic like the others. It has the gallop, it has a great Bruce performance, an awesome chorus. It's all there. Cool lyrical content too. I also love how the song resets itself during the solo. They're mixing up the instrumental sections a bit to keep it from getting repetitive.

Not sure why people are upset by the brightness of the song. Not everything has to be dark and powerful! It's good fun and I like the catchy chorus. But admittedly it's pretty limited otherwise.

Last edited:
Love the bass playing on this song and the verses. Again the chorus might be a bit to cheery, but anyways it's a good track.

7/10

Love this song, one of my favorites on the album. It's short but sweet, literally. That chorus is one of the best in their discography. Vastly underrated and far from one of their worst 'classic era' songs. 9/10

Quite a catchy and fun song but I'm usually really tired of it when they take the chorus a second time in the end and skip it.

7/10
The chorus is really strange to me, it's catchy but it still feels odd. ~Lifeee is like a wheeeeEEl~
Pretty much everything else about this song is great though

I was really debating between 9 and 10. I'll go with 9/10 for now, but it can rise. It's such an unassuming song, but it's awesome. The chorus is incredible.

I agree with Mosh - not sure how this song never became a classic as it has all of the parts.

Aside from ATG, I'd love for this one to be the one of the rarities that they attempt live before they retire (it'll never happen...but one can hope).

An uptempo galloping riff carries us through a solid verse before breaking into a big, bright, insanely catchy chorus with some great harmonized vocals and bass fills.

Another round of verse through chorus and then we get an excellent harmonized section and a decent solo before returning to the great chorus and a big rock ending.

This song is simple, and the verse is merely solid, but that chorus is awesome once you surrender to the cheese. A robust 8/10.

Back