Sun and Steel

How good is Sun and Steel on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Sun and Steel

I have always enjoyed the chorus, one of the finest of the album, but the opening and verse riffs have the same level of complexity and creativity as the first song I ever wrote when I started learning guitar...ie, not very interesting or impressive and probably best confined to the bedroom.

Still, I love the chorus and the solos.

A short and fairly interesting rocker. I like this just slightly more than Icarus, but it's still in the 6/10 range for me.

I wonder why Piece Of Mind is winning the poll of best Maiden album, again. There's something pretty wrong with the fans voting there or with most that are voting here.

I think fans generally ignore that QFF and SaS are on the album :p which is why they think PoM is the best (in which case it actually would be).

I’m going to paraphrase an observation from elsewhere on this site: if this was track four on Killers or No Prayer, it would get way more love. It’s just kind of tucked away, a lesser son of a strong album. The chorus is great and the instrumental part solid. The lyrics and the verses are weaker. Seven.

Jeffmetal said:
I wonder why Piece Of Mind is winning the poll of best Maiden album, again. There's something pretty wrong with the fans voting there or with most that are voting here.

Was thinking simular. When broken down PoM aint that good an album. This song gets a 6, it sounds too jovial. It is a catchy chorus though that does stick in your head.

7.  It should be a concert staple, with a good singalong chorus, and catchy riffing.

Jeffmetal said:
How do you figure it's going to win when we're not nearly half way through the entire discography?

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
How do you figure it's going to win when we're not nearly half way through the entire discography?

Dude, you're missing something in what I wrote.

4/10, nothing special, it's got a "happy" feeling which really doesn't suit the lyrics.

7/10. Quite a good song is this. I personally don't think it matters that it follows Quest for Fire or not, on it's own it stands as a decent song.

I used to like this song more, probably with a 6.  Now it is a 5.  What's changed is that I'm not wearing out PoM like I used to when I first got into Maiden, and this song had no less than four 10s (Still Life, Revelations, The Trooper, Die with Your Boots on).  It is amazing how some songs age, and albums.  This one feels to repetitive, and the riff is decent but not good enough to handle such repetition.

Maiden put on Manowar's clothes and well, it doesn't suit. Easily the weakest song from the album, although that is not saying all too much. Good thing Maiden gave up their flirtation with the swordfight theme after the only hit appeared to be a lucky shot. Although this one is still not all that bad, it certainly has a nice and catchy chorus. Seeing how it still has Piece of Mind stamped all over it, 6/10.

5 out of 10... This one takes the honour, along with Quest For Fire, of being the only two studio cuts in a row that I always skip over... Left me cold from the first time I listened to it...'Nuff said...

I like this one. I don't get why people don't like it, I think it has a catchy chorus and the whole song is good. The solo's are sadly forgettable though. 8/10

Back