Short-answer questions

I'd say someone somewhere confused the Can I Play with Madness video with Alexander and then every site that mentions it is just copying their mistake.

I'd say someone somewhere confused the Can I Play with Madness video with Alexander and then every site that mentions it is just copying their mistake.

Yeah, could be it. I just hate when sites just repeat info without checking things like we reserachers do

As you know there some messages in the Powerslave album cover like 'Indy was here'.
Ok. There was a 4th Indiana Jones movie and the environment was the Mayan culture. Anyone could tell me if the Book of souls album booklet features something like 'Indy was also here' ? It's just a stupid curiosity. Thanks in advance!

I have no doubt it's the same guy. But the diction is completely different in this recording. Listen to the way he pronounces "one after one". I don't think you could doctor it to that effect either today or in 1984. It must be a different recording.

And the answer to this question can be found here:

Go to 16:36 in the video to get the answer and nope, it was not Richard Burton.

And the answer to this question can be found here:

Go to 16:36 in the video to get the answer and nope, it was not Richard Burton.

There's no way it isn't Richard Burton, but hey... Everyone is entitled to believe what they want to... Like Charlotte was written by Dave Murray :D

Yeah Steve's memory is gone to pot, it clearly is the Richard Burton recording.

It is curious that they didn't credit him in the album so maybe it's got to do something with copyright or something but to say is not Richard is too much

There's no way it isn't Richard Burton, but hey... Everyone is entitled to believe what they want to... Like Charlotte was written by Dave Murray :D

Who are you to disagree with Steve Harris??? :D

If Steve says it is not Richard Burton, it is not him. If Steve says Dave wrote Charlotte the Harlot, then that’s what happened! ;)

If it is indeed Richard Burton (it does certainly sound a lot like him), perhaps Steve is not willing to acknowledge it so he does not have to share any money with whomever inherited Burton’s estate. It is not the first time someone is not credited by Steve, is it?

Who are you to disagree with Steve Harris??? :D

If Steve says it is not Richard Burton, it is not him. If Steve says Dave wrote Charlotte the Harlot, then that’s what happened! ;)

If it is indeed Richard Burton (it does certainly sound a lot like him), perhaps Steve is not willing to acknowledge it so he does not have to share any money with whomever inherited Burton’s estate. It is not the first time someone is not credited by Steve, is it?

:D ;) Indeed, it is not the first time for whatever reasons... Hopefully this doesn't end in a certain lawyer who shall not be mentioned, contacting whoever inherited Burton's estate, and ending up not playing Rime again because of a law suit

Nobody is mentioning that Burton himself might've asked not to be credited due to his contractual obligations against some 3rd party.
If you want example, well Dickinson was in the same situation in 1982.

You could be right and it could be Steve telling a blatant lie for business reasons, but I'd be inclined to think he's just remembering a different event and confusing it with Rime, he mentions trying to get Ralph Richardson in the text from that video, in Luisma's book it says this about a voiceover that had been intended for To Tame A Land, "I was gutted, we had a spoken intro on it as well by a guy who sounded like Ralph Richardson".

So I think Steve has just fucked up there, like when Bruce says 2 Minutes to Midnight is from 1982 or Nicko says he thinks they played Alexander live.

I moved all the SIT talk to a new thread:

@Luisma Do you know what happened to Doug Hall? Did he retire voluntarily? There was no mention about him leaving on the Iron Maiden Fan Club magazines, which was quite strange considering how long he had been the FOH guy for Maiden.
Speaking of Doug Hall, what magic did he use to prevent aging? He looks younger in the Death on the Road documentary than he does in the 12 Wasted Years vid which was almost 20 years earlier.

@Luisma Do you know what happened to Doug Hall? Did he retire voluntarily? There was no mention about him leaving on the Iron Maiden Fan Club magazines, which was quite strange considering how long he had been the FOH guy for Maiden.
I think he became consultant system engineer and then retired after a couple of years. I think.

I'm not 100%s sure of what exactly happened as this whole matter was kept VERY secretly by all in the Maiden camp, but for what I have been told there was some touring/contract issues that couldn't be resolved between the 2 parts (Maiden and Doug) that eventually caused the fall out of Doug and in the end (sadly) the whole relationship ended in bitter terms, which is the reason there was no mention whatsoever of the fact by Maiden.

Other people involved with Maiden, told me that there were some personal matters that Doug needed time to resolve but Maiden couldn't give him the time to do it, so Doug resigned not too happy about it. This would also explain why nothing was said about his departure.

All in all, it was a great loss to Maiden and with the benefit of hindsight it does seem like things didn't end well between him and Maiden.

@Luisma Thank you very much.

As a result of Doug Hall leaving the Maiden family corporation we ended up suffering really bad live sound with Martin Walker for 5 years. Thankfully things were corrected when they hired Pooch, who is - by far - the best FOH engineer they have ever had. Shame they did not find him earlier!

Back