Short-answer questions

My CD copy of Somewhere in Time says it is Graham Chapman of Monty Python fame (and of course the video for Can I Play with Madness)

Funny, mine doesn't. I've always been pretty sure it was Bruce. It doesn't sound much like Chapman.

Relating to this, has Bruce actually done any of the spoken intros on a Maiden song? I'm trying to think off hand here and I can't think of any.

He is the one reading the poetry in the intro tape used for Paschendale and Dance of Death live, although I guess you probably meant spoken intros on album versions of songs?

He also quoted Tennyson's Light Brigade before The Trooper in Rock in Rio, but I don't think it counts.

BTW, Powerslave's intro sounds like distorted Bruce to me, too.

He is the one reading the poetry in the intro tape used for Paschendale and Dance of Death live, although I guess you probably meant spoken intros on album versions of songs?
Yes. Otherwise you obviously get stuff like those two, and arguably a handful of songs on Rock in Rio which sort of fit the bill, but not really.

Relating to this, has Bruce actually done any of the spoken intros on a Maiden song? I'm trying to think off hand here and I can't think of any.
Well, he had to do the intro of "The Number of the Beast" live once when the intro tape failed to start. :D

Richard Burton.

As discussed here:

Is that really the same recording, though? It sounds very different in the intonation.

I'm not certain it is the same recording, maybe a different take, but it's close enough that there's no doubt it's the same guy. Maiden may also have doctored it so it fits the metre of the music

I have no doubt it's the same guy. But the diction is completely different in this recording. Listen to the way he pronounces "one after one". I don't think you could doctor it to that effect either today or in 1984. It must be a different recording.

Last edited:
Someone in this subreddit suggests it was Martin Birch, but I've never heard his voice (or if I did, I don't remember) so I can't tell.

They also notice that no one but Bruce is credited for the vocals, but the point is that in The Number of the Beast they didn't credit Clayton.

Back