Short-answer questions

my game always crashed at the start of the level after the one with Hallowed.

I've tried it on several different pcs and with 2 different copies of the game.

But I think the game was ready to release in 1996. Virtual XI is from 1998 and Ed Hunter was released in 1999 so I think it's like @srfc says. The game was out of date when the original date release and the project was delayed changing everything.
Btw I still have my 3CD Ed hunter set too. I finnished the game.
Agreed. What I'm saying is that the concept changed over time. It's not like Melt was scrapped and they started over on Ed Hunter. Melt's development morphed into what became Ed Hunter. So when one asks "what happened to Melt?" Ed Hunter is the answer.

Edit: Nope, I'm wrong. At least looking at the Ed Hunter wikipedia flat out states that Melt was scrapped/cancelled and then development started on Ed Hunter. I do wonder if any assets carried over.

Agreed. What I'm saying is that the concept changed over time. It's not like Melt was scrapped and they started over on Ed Hunter. Melt's development morphed into what became Ed Hunter. So when one asks "what happened to Melt?" Ed Hunter is the answer.

Edit: Nope, I'm wrong. At least looking at the Ed Hunter wikipedia flat out states that Melt was scrapped/cancelled and then development started on Ed Hunter. I do wonder if any assets carried over.
In any case I would like to take a look to that game or at least some captures of it

Does anyone have that wrathchild meme that was posted a few months back? Like the one that says we are gonna try something.... WRATHCHILD!

Here's my question: when the 2015 Iron Maiden red box vinyl remaster set was announced and released, I also recall a similar looking box for the first 10 years of singles. I've rarely seen pictures of it since then. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and where/how to get it? This is not the First Ten Years box set with the "Listen w/ Nicko" series I'm talking about. It's a very similar looking set to the newly boxed vinyl remasters.

Edit: further research shows that the box itself may have been an unofficial Brazilian thing? I wish Maiden's own website/store were a bit more concise regarding this stuff.

Last edited:
Yeah there was no box for the 7 inch singles
Ok cool. More Googling has led me to this belief as well. They could stand to release a box set of singles. I'd buy it. I'd use my work money I make at work and mail it to Iron Maiden and they'd send me these items.

Regarding the melt game that game was scrapped completely and Ed hunter was made from scratch. The melt game would have been completely different. It was supposed to be a third person action/adventure/open world game where you control Eddie. I remember early screenshots and it looked pretty decent. The official PlayStation mag ran a big article at the time.

the problem was the development team was pretty small and they had some great ideas but just didn’t have the resources to build the game as they wanted too. they got quite far into the game build before they realised they just didn’t have the budget or the resources to finish it so it was totally scrapped. They managed to scrape together a small amount of money to then build Ed hunter which was a piss poor game even for the time. It screamed low budget and was just a total waste of the licence to be honest.

there’s a short documentary on what happened to melt on YouTube and a quick search should find it.

Blaze: Melt is a video game and it's one where Eddie, uh, plays a very evil, destructive force in the universe. What's happened is Eddie has been taken to pieces and various parts of him have been scattered throughout time and space and you as the game player, you actually have to go through time and space and various worlds as 14 or 15 worlds. So you have to travel to and collect various pieces of Eddie before he can get them so that then you finally do battle with him in hyperspace. So it's only, it's a completely 3-D game as well. (Blaze Bayley on The Beast Of The Beast Interview CD)

Blaze: This is developed by a British company called Virtual S. and, uh, so yeah, they're making up the whole game over here, which is good really, because we get to have a little bit of an input on it. Um, you know, and just say couple of things about how Eddie looks and a bit about the game play and stuff like that. So it's nice to be able to be involved and quite exciting as well day involved in the development of the game. (Blaze Bayley on The Beast Of The Beast Interview CD)

As you can see, the concept of the Melt game was totally different to what ended up being Ed Hunter. As a matter of fact, the game (I have some pictures of the demo that Blaze played on the developers building, looked awful. I even a quote by Blaze saying that the game got cancelled because it was CRAP!. Nothing to do with the graphics on Ed Hunter.

"Ed Hunter immerses the player into a world where chaos and terror reign. Where no corner is safe and there is nowhere to hide.

The player assumes the role of Ed Hunter, a private investigator down on his luck, who from the beginning is thrown into what seems an impossible nightmare.

Ed's story begins when he arrives back at his dingy office to find an envelope stuffed with full of cash, more than he's ever seen before in one place. Also inside is a crumpled note, written in an elegant, if spidery, hand. Pondering what job might be worth such a hefty advance, he opens the nore and reads on.

There is someone I need you to find. This person is being held in an institution. You myst free him and follow him to the end of the eart, if that is where he chooses to go. Let nothing stop you. He will not want to be followed. He may try to stop you. Defend yourself, but remember; he is not your enemy.

Here are the funds and further details. If you choose not to accept this mission, you can keep the money. Once you take on the task, there is no turning back. You will find your real reward at the end of the chase…

Ed Hunter finds himself pitted against a ghoulish array of enemies who are intent on stopping him in his quest however they can..." (Taken from the ED Hunter Press Pack)

About The Eddie in Melt being cooler than Ed Hunter Eddie... You be the judge of that with the Ad Below.

¿Want more info like this? You know what to do... https://www.subscribepage.com/luisma666

Here's my question: when the 2015 Iron Maiden red box vinyl remaster set was announced and released, I also recall a similar looking box for the first 10 years of singles. I've rarely seen pictures of it since then. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and where/how to get it? This is not the First Ten Years box set with the "Listen w/ Nicko" series I'm talking about. It's a very similar looking set to the newly boxed vinyl remasters.

Edit: further research shows that the box itself may have been an unofficial Brazilian thing? I wish Maiden's own website/store were a bit more concise regarding this stuff.

There were fan made. The guy who did them was/is a member of the IMFC. He posted a picture of his and as people wanted them, he accepted orders to do a few for fans for a limited time.

Here's a question: is Steve racist/nationalist in regards to British dudes? We know he wouldn't hire (or even think of hiring) certain folks when Bruce left because he wanted everyone to be British. And, his other band's name is "British Lion" which is populated by what I presume are, and I quote "British people" unquote.

(To be super clear I don't want to derail into a huge flamewar regarding Steve and his personal views. It's just an observation.)

I don't think he has ever publicly expressed his views, but the elements you mention (as well as the lyrics to "Age of Innocence" for example) hint at the fact he is more xenophobic (as in "fear of the unknown and the 'strangers'") than racist.

Last edited:
Here's a question: is Steve racist/nationalist in regards to British dudes?
Don't be daft, of course he isn't. Why would he have chosen a career that involved going around the world constantly, if he felt like that?

And another thing: how come every other nation is allowed to celebrate all that's great and wonderful about being whatever nation they are, but as soon as the Brits even mention it, it automatically becomes racism? Come on, one rule for everyone!

Don't be daft, of course he isn't. Why would he have chosen a career that involved going around the world constantly, if he felt like that?

And another thing: how come every other nation is allowed to celebrate all that's great and wonderful about being whatever nation they are, but as soon as the Brits even mention it, it automatically becomes racism? Come on, one rule for everyone!
I used the terms racism/nationalism interchangeably in this context. Perhaps I should've left the term racism out?
1. I didn't say any part of being proud of your country is bad and
2. I wasn't accusing him of racism.

And I agree, there is nothing wrong with being proud of your culture/heritage/country. That applies universally.

(as well as the lyrics to "Age of Innocence" for example)

Age of Innocence lyrics are certainly right wing leaning in terms of law and order, but I don't think there is anything that remotely suggests that the criminals he is going on about in the lyrics are foreigners.

Here's a question: is Steve racist/nationalist in regards to British dudes? We know he wouldn't hire (or even think of hiring) certain folks when Bruce left because he wanted everyone to be British. And, his other band's name is "British Lion" which is populated by what I presume are, and I quote "British people" unquote.

(To be super clear I don't want to derail into a huge flamewar regarding Steve and his personal views. It's just an observation.)

Steve made some rather unfortunate racist remarks in an interview with the NME in 1982 (we talked about it here https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/nicko-mcbrain.19107/post-705505)

I bet he has grown up as a person since then though.

Steve made some rather unfortunate racist remarks in an interview with the NME in 1982 (we talked about it here https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/nicko-mcbrain.19107/post-705505)
He did not! He used a word which wasn't even considered particularly offensive in 1982, but which has come to be frowned upon since. A lot of things have changed since 1982, and public opinion changes more often than most things.
I bet he has grown up as a person since then though.
Most people do. It doesn't mean that there was anything "wrong" with them before though.

Back