Short-answer questions

bkl_cabaret_dublin_bgetwebsite_showpageimage_1300x630px_1300_600_80auto_s_c1.jpg

I'm going to get slightly conspiratorial here and suggest that no video from AMOLAD tour has nothing to do with the quality of the video itself. I don't think they realized how huge the SBIT tour was going to be. Up until that point, the nostalgia tours were short stop-gaps between albums and they never released DVDs or live albums from them. They also waited to release Death on the Road until after the Early Days tour. I'm guessing they were planning something similar (the Flight 666 footage shows that something was being worked on while they were on tour) but then decided to ride the nostalgia wave instead for an extra year before moving forward with the next album.
I think this is the most likely explanation. The Donington footage having its own issues might've affected it, but I always assumed it was more of a decision based on how well the SBiT tour did and how the Flight 666 documentary demanded edited and mixed concert footage anyway. I mean, Maiden England '88 was pushed back solely because they realized it could easily sustain a tour in itself, after all, so making decisions that essentially come down to doing the more profitable thing is not at all unusual for Maiden.

I've no doubt AMOSW was intended to be the 2009 live release from the band while Flight 666 would've exclusively remained a documentary. It just fits with Maiden's normal MO. But plans changed once Somewhere Back in Time turned out to be a massive recipe for success.

Releasing live albums such as these will be a cash cow once they stop performing live and releasing albums. Let the demand for them build for another decade and they will be released to great fan fare.

decided to ride the nostalgia wave instead for an extra year
making decisions that essentially come down to doing the more profitable thing is not at all unusual for Maiden
Or maybe they were just having too much fun and it gave them a bit of respite before they needed to seriously knuckle down again ...

As Janick says, "We will tour on anything! We love touring."

Or maybe they were just having too much fun and it gave them a bit of respite before they needed to seriously knuckle down again ...

As Janick says, "We will tour on anything! We love touring."
Sure, but either way I imagine the SBIT tour was not originally anticipated to last two years.

Sure, but either way I imagine the SBIT tour was not originally anticipated to last two years.
Maybe, maybe not. I tend to think that, since with TFF they had achieved everything they ever imagined they might (and more besides), and since Bruce has said that "if it was about money we'd all have retired years ago" (or words to that effect), basically they are now making it up as they go along. So if the tour is going better than you expected, why not extend it for another year? I just don't think there's any need to ascribe that to any cynical profit motivation. (And yes, I appreciate that you didn't say that directly, but Ruflux and others seem to have inferred it and there seems to be quite a lot of "why-didn't-Maiden-put-out-whateverproductIwantedthemto?-Oh,-because-they-decided-they-could-make-more-money-doing-something-else-instead" around here generally :))

Their smiles when they come on stage tell me all I need to know about why they are still up there ...

Usually when I consider these things as business decisions I’m not thinking of the band itself but rather Iron Maiden LLC. It’s a business and a business is primarily interested in turning a profit. Especially with a touring band, there are probably a lot of crew members whose livelihoods are somewhat dependent on the band going out on tour every summer. And as the band genuinely loves touring, I’m sure it doesn’t take much to convince them to go out on the road for an extra year. So there’s an element of both I guess.

That being said I don’t think lack of Donington dvd is because they thought they’d make more money doing other things. They could’ve easily released it in tandem with something else or during one of the band’s many lulls. I just think there were other things holding their interest at the time and it fell through the cracks. I’m sure we’ll see it when the band retires.

I'm going to get slightly conspiratorial here and suggest that no video from AMOLAD tour has nothing to do with the quality of the video itself. I don't think they realized how huge the SBIT tour was going to be. Up until that point, the nostalgia tours were short stop-gaps between albums and they never released DVDs or live albums from them. They also waited to release Death on the Road until after the Early Days tour. I'm guessing they were planning something similar (the Flight 666 footage shows that something was being worked on while they were on tour) but then decided to ride the nostalgia wave instead for an extra year before moving forward with the next album.

Banger Productions were much quicker than Steve editing the live material, so Flight 666 was completed and released before the Donington 2007 DVD with bonus footage from the 2006 tour was even finished. By the time Flight 666 was released the the AMOLAD tour was history and it did not make sense to release the accompanying DVD anymore.

Releasing live albums such as these will be a cash cow once they stop performing live and releasing albums. Let the demand for them build for another decade and they will be released to great fan fare.

The more high quality stuff they release from the vaults once they call it a day, the better! :D

so Flight 666 was completed and released before the Donington 2007 DVD with bonus footage from the 2006 tour was even finished.

Donington 2007 DVD with bonus footage from the 2006 leg of the tour- aaahhhhhh, please make it real. :blush:

Does anyone know where Bruce used the mask that he had on the Seventh Tour of a Seventh Tour? it's a mask of a animal with horns. Maybe he used at the same time he weared the hairy boots, I don't know, but there's no picture of him on stage with it, just on the backstage.

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but does anyone know about the edits made to The Prisoner on Spotify (or perhaps it was edited prior to that). It's billed as edited on Spotify and has a tracktime of 6:02 but the original tracklist gives it as 5:34. What edits were made to the song to make it longer?

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but does anyone know about the edits made to The Prisoner on Spotify (or perhaps it was edited prior to that). It's billed as edited on Spotify and has a tracktime of 6:02 but the original tracklist gives it as 5:34. What edits were made to the song to make it longer?
Yep, I think it has been discussed before, but I don't remember why was the reason.

Yep, I think it has been discussed before, but I don't remember why was the reason.

I think we concluded one figure included the spoken word section and one didn't.

The original NOTB UK CD has a running time of 6.00 listed, as do the fame reissue CD and the 1998 remaster CD. The new remaster has no running time listed.

The original UK LP, Ireland LP, Japan LP, UK Fame LP, EMI 100 LP, US Hot Topic LP, Picture Disc collection and Complete Album Collection LP's have no running time listed. Neither do the Original UK Cassette and the UK Fame Cassette.

The original UK Pic Disc is the only version I have that has a running time of 5.34.

EDIT: The previous discussion seems to have been about the Number of the Beast.

Last edited:
Re: album running time

Wiki gives an album running time of 39:11

Actual CD run time from the original CD is 40:22.

The times on wiki match the original UK Pic disc times, with the time for Prisoner and TNOTB as 5:34 and 4:25 respectively. The times listed on the original CD are 6:00 and 4:49. The time for the NOTB is correct on the original CD but the actual time of Prisoner is 6:02.

The new remastered album is two seconds longer at 40:24 and this seems to be because of a longer gap between TNOTB and RTTH as TNOTB run time is 4:51 on the new remaster.

Re: album running time

Wiki gives an album running time of 39:11

Actual CD run time from the original CD is 40:22.

The times on wiki match the original UK Pic disc times, with the time for Prisoner and TNOTB as 5:34 and 4:25 respectively. The times listed on the original CD are 6:00 and 4:49. The time for the NOTB is correct on the original CD but the actual time of Prisoner is 6:02.

The new remastered album is two seconds longer at 40:24 and this seems to be because of a longer gap between TNOTB and RTTH as TNOTB run time is 4:51 on the new remaster.

Interesting. Thank you very much

Interesting. Thank you very much

After thinking about this for a while I can speculate why the mistake may have been made. The original CD is not contemporary to 1982, CD's weren't around in 1982. I think 1985 was possibly when Maiden CD's first started to appear, maybe someone older than me can confirm that.

Therefore, the UK Pic Disc is the only one from the 15 different versions I checked that had running times listed and was released in 1982. It could be possible that they took the running times of the tracks as used on the picture disc before any of the spoken word parts had been added to the songs post production. This mistake was then fixed on later releases.

Back