Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

It's funny. If you take their albums from the start, one by one, you will see that they begin with a "good" one, the next one is "inferior", the next "superior" and so on... With the exception of the two blaze albums (let's call them both inferior) you will see that this tradition went on in the reunion era! Well, for me, at least. Let's hope that this tradition will end with Senjutsu :lol:
I don't agree with this at all.

Obviously the reviewer is just bad at communicating what he means if he says it industrial sounding & then compares it to Tool since Tool are not in anyway industrial they are more like an alternative/progressive band. Industrial metal is more like Godflesh or Nine Inch Nails which i can guarantee you this song will sound nothing like. the guy probably just listens to your classic style heavy metal and has a layman's idea of the more extreme fringes of the genre and misunderstands what he's really saying

Anyone want to venture a guess if all the Steve epics are in E-minor or if he has gone out of the comfort zone and used a different key this time? He has used D-minor on occasion also, but it’s E-minor FTW as it is easy to write for guitar and bass in that key using open strings etc. C# minor would be cool :)

Obviously the reviewer is just bad at communicating what he means if he says it industrial sounding & then compares it to Tool since Tool are not in anyway industrial they are more like an alternative/progressive band. Industrial metal is more like Godflesh or Nine Inch Nails which i can guarantee you this song will sound nothing like. the guy probably just listens to your classic style heavy metal and has a layman's idea of the more extreme fringes of the genre and misunderstands what he's really saying
One reviewer says it sounds like Tool.

Another reviewer says it sounds industrial.

I don't believe any reviewer has said both.

One reviewer says it sounds like Tool.

Another reviewer says it sounds industrial.

I don't believe any reviewer has said both.

ah, well fair enough then but i think my point still stands it can either sound like Tool or it can sound like Industrial, but i agree with you that it will sound like neither.

One reviewer said that the song is reminiscent to the intro to The final Frontier and that they expanded on the way the drums sounded there (he did not even know that the intro was H's demo).

I don't believe anyone. A reviewer said that AMOLAD was similar to SIT, just cause the feel of TROBB reminded him of Stranger in a strange land.

All we can get from these reviews is a general feel about the sound of the songs and nothing should be taken literally IMO

Here is the translation of the interview with Bruce, presented in the German Rocks magazine.
''Stratego'' gets a praise from Bruce in this interview (it seems it will be a song in the classic style of Maiden). ''The Time Machine'' also gets fantastic reviews - Janick never disappoints with his songs. :yes:

And I love the fact that the album will be full of melodic instrumental sections/parts (as one can expect from Maiden).
The reviewer said it was almost like industrial metal. I think that means it has the vibe but isn’t necessarily part of the genre. The Loudwire guy said people would think it sounded like Tool — that’s already two different comparisons. My guess is it’ll be a pretty doomy song for Maiden, but still have that same DNA.
^ This. It seems the song will be pretty unusual for Maiden (but not too much, I guess). Bruce said that the song has such a slight Japanese flavor...

but to quote Bruce: ''Every song is different''.

No, they were two separate reviews.

EDIT: never mind lol

One reviewer said that the song is reminiscent to the intro to The final Frontier and that they expanded on the way the drums sounded there (he did not even know that the intro was H's demo).
I bet the intro of the title track will be a lot better and epic than Satellite 15... the sound of the drums too (as we can hear from the promo videos).

I bet the intro of the title track will be a lot better and epic than Satellite 15... the sound of the drums too (as we can hear from the promo videos).
Of course. The thing is that we can't be inside every reviewers head. We know already that the album sounds better than BOS and most probably the song are more diverse. It is easily seen that TWOTW is more thought out than e.g Speed of light that runs out of ideas right before the solo.

Maiden can't reinvent themselves. The bet is whether they avoid some of the bad habbits (at least according to some of us). So far it seems that the album-no matter if we like the direction or not- seems more elaborated than the previous one. This would do for the time being.

Last edited:
It's funny. If you take their albums from the start, one by one, you will see that they begin with a "good" one, the next one is "inferior", the next "superior" and so on... With the exception of the two blaze albums (let's call them both inferior) you will see that this tradition went on in the reunion era! Well, for me, at least. Let's hope that this tradition will end with Senjutsu :lol:
So…

Good albums = Iron Maiden, Piece of Mind, Seventh Son, Brave New World, The Final Frontier

Inferior albums = Killers, Powerslave, No Prayer, X Factor, Virtual XI, Dance of Death, Book of Souls

Superior albums = NOTB, Somewhere in Time, Fear of the Dark, AMOLAD…Senjutsu

?

:lol:

At least we agree on Killers.

The reviewer said it was almost like industrial metal. I think that means it has the vibe but isn’t necessarily part of the genre. The Loudwire guy said people would think it sounded like Tool — that’s already two different comparisons. My guess is it’ll be a pretty doomy song for Maiden, but still have that same DNA.
I’m wondering if the title track will have any similarity to Brighter Than a Thousand Suns. That song also has some similarity to Tool and is rhythmically challenging.

From the reviews it seems:
Hell on Earth, The Time Machine and Days of Future past will be absolute classics. Those 3 will probably be liked by all (excluding the maiden "fans" here waiting for good music since 1988). The rest may divide fan opinion, especially Senjutsu and Lost in a lost world

Done a little forum archive research- Book Of Souls was leaked at 28 August, 7 days before it’s release at 4th September. So starting August 27 we might get something, but I’ll also wait stratego song release. Maybe a next week release, what do you think?

Back