Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

It might have been like that: Kevin: "We are almost done, only Stratego is left. I gotta go out to the bathroom. Don't touch anything Steve!" Steve: "Sure!" Kevin leaves. Steve: "Let's see what we have here, I guess he will not notice if I adjust these knobs a bit..."

And then Arry could write his version of “What does this button do ?” :p

I just realized that we have been discussing the same topic of mixing tracks on an unreleased album for several days. This is starting to get a little boring. Instead of being happy and guessing how amazing this album will be, we complain even though none of us heard it. It's a bit sad - I expected more from this forum.

Todd from Queensryche was a guest on a YouTube “reaction” on Stratego and had really good input and insight regarding sound and mixing and I agree with him 100%. It’s a bit long clip, but worth it if your interested in a very qualified musicians input.
People suggesting that the album will be remixed before release doesn’t know how it works, the mix has been final since they left the studio and they won’t touch it until it’s remaster time, and that doesn’t really do much mix wise. The CD and vinyl could differ a bit since there are limitations on what you can and can’t do on vinyl, but that’s mainly (only) a mastering issue, not a mix issue.

The mix is just fine.
By the way better than Todd La Torre's album which sounds extremely "modern", full of tricks, and therefore generic. (I'm not getting into the composition's merits, just the general sound)

The mix is just fine.
By the way better than Todd La Torre's album which sounds extremely "modern", full of tricks, and therefore generic. (I'm not getting into the composition's merits, just the general sound)
Agreed. Maiden went for analog and more old school “sound in the room” and not a polished and corrected modern sound with sample replacement. Their choice, their music, their art.
And basically that’s what Todd is saying.
I do like the fact that on a Maiden record you can hear that there are actual instruments being played, the drum sound is natural and there is air in the sound, actual room reverb and not digital, plug-in and artificial sounds. Anyone who has ever been in a rehearsal room knows that drums absolutely doesn’t sound like they do on a modern metal recording. Maidens sound is more true to how it actually sounds standing in the room.

Hopefully there will be one slower song on the album where the vocals are similar (but better) to the Great Unknown intro. I love the moment before the album when anything is possible. I also hope there will be more choruses like the one in the Stratego - an extended chorus instead of a title or sentence repeating over and over again. Overall, I have the impression that the stratego lyrics are much better than the WotW.

I'm a little bit nostalgic of the era when internet was not existing and when I had to wait until the final countdown to the day when the albums were released, wondering how they could sound and what were the lyrics, etc... These period was really exciting. Now, you have leaks one day before or earlier... It spoils the fun of the discovery the D-day release...

Last edited:
I love the moment before the album when anything is possible. I also hope there will be more choruses like the one in the Stratego - an extended chorus instead of a title or sentence repeating over and over again.
This moment is great indeed. I actually love waiting for an album (when the release date is known though). I also hope for more choruses like the one in ''Stratego'' (with extended chorus) - amazing stuff!

Back