Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Most people say the sound is bad, not only here, but in other sites/forums/fb post etc. But the band loves it. Isn'it strange?

Personally, I think the sound is more clear than before and also the drums sound lovely (the kick drum is very organic sounding) but the final product is a little anemic.

I wonder if the band is checking the people's comments and try to mix the album differently, that is why maybe they release a single earlier...

So, is there gonna be a different sound on the final product?
This is how it is going to sound, with mastering variations between CD and vinyl. It sounds good, especially TWOTW. What has changed in the past 15 years is the public perception of how things should sound. That being said, a few minor changes to Stratego wouldn't have been a bad idea. I think the lead vocal needs more top end, for instance.

I've been a Maiden-fan since 1988 and never had the urge to own more than one copy of every release. I see that a lot of people here order 2-4 copies of Senjutsu. Why? What is the benefit? Am I not normal? ;)
1988 was the same year I became a fan and I’m one of the ones that’s trying to get every copy. As I’ve gotten older, and make a little more money, I realized that the physical aspect of music is going away. I miss holding a product in my hand and looking at it. So now, for my favorite bands, I’ve become a collector. I don’t even have a record player yet, but I love collecting Maiden vinyls because where else is that artwork gonna be so big and bold? And with Senjutsu having several versions that look amazing, how can I not want them all? I don’t think it’s weird to feel like you want to own a small piece of that which interests you. I also don’t think it’s weird to stand back and go “my, that’s a lot of copies of Senjutsu, is that necessary?” Just different strokes.

The biggest irony? I might unwrap my Senjutsu editions but I’ll likely never play them. Instead I’ll find a high quality rip and put them with the rest of my MP3 library and listen that way. I don’t do steaming stuff, it rubs me the wrong way, but I do have 100s of gigs of archived music all of the best quality I can find and either play it straight from my computer, or put it on a thumb drive to be played in my car.

This is how it is going to sound, with mastering variations between CD and vinyl. It sounds good, especially TWOTW. What has changed in the past 15 years is the public perception of how things should sound. That being said, a few minor changes to Stratego wouldn't have been a bad idea. I think the lead vocal needs more top end, for instance.
Also, I think it is not a good idea to record a song after its completion, because the overall album sound will differ (as it is recorded in different times and it is difficult to have the same gear/mic instalment).

The shipping cost me an extra 100 USD in itselfo_O. Total price through amazon was 228 usd for the 125 usd boxset
Yikes. Just a suggestion rather than paying so much just wait for it to release next Friday and buy it off of 3rd party sellers. These wankers have charged you on import duty.

Last edited:
Also, I think it is not a good idea to record a song after its completion, because the overall album sound will differ (as it is recorded in different times and it is difficult to have the same gear/mic instalment).
There is nothing to suggest they recorded a song afterwards and fitted onto the album.

It's funny to see that there are still some who think that the sound will change basically "for release", these are not the final mixes, or the difference of the mixes of each song are due to recording later etc.

What you hear is exactly how they wanted the album to sound.
It will not change. They recorded the entire album in the same recording session and mixed as is.

Personally, I think this is their best sounding release since at least BNW.

It's not mandatory to like it, as the sound, the production etc. is actually quite subjective. It is also a matter of personal taste, so everyone is entitled to not like it, hate it etc.

But do not get disillusioned, it's produced on purpose.

What has changed in the past 15 years is the public perception of how things should sound.

Also, every album sounds the same these days as well, particularly the "sneap" sound. For the amount of people who can't cope that Maiden don't sound like that there is probably an equal amount of people who Maiden stand out to because they don't sound like everyone else. There's a reason Maiden keep picking up new fans.

As far as I know every Iron Maiden album since DoD leaked at least few days before.
TFF 4-5 days, TBOS 7 days.
I do not know for AMOLAD tho...

So what are we bitchin about for the next 8 days? Is there a formal agenda?
I think it goes loopwise.

Production
Media coverage
Production
Media coverage
Merchandise and "ripoffs"
Dave plays lazy these days
Production
Production
-----------------
Album release: All bets are off. I have no idea.

-----------------------
Two days after album release: Where the hell is album nr. 18-19?

Todd from Queensryche was a guest on a YouTube “reaction” on Stratego and had really good input and insight regarding sound and mixing and I agree with him 100%. It’s a bit long clip, but worth it if your interested in a very qualified musicians input.
People suggesting that the album will be remixed before release doesn’t know how it works, the mix has been final since they left the studio and they won’t touch it until it’s remaster time, and that doesn’t really do much mix wise. The CD and vinyl could differ a bit since there are limitations on what you can and can’t do on vinyl, but that’s mainly (only) a mastering issue, not a mix issue.

I love Stratego, but to me "Bruce is too low in the mix" problem is growing as the time passes by. I can't overcome it :( I feel like the song's potential is somewhat ruined. Especially when you listen Stratego and TWOTW right after. Mix/production style on TWOTW is so much better and "professional". I feel like TWOTW was handled by Shirley, and Stratego was given to Steve. I still hope that CD will sound more on the same level.

Last edited:
I love Stratego, but to me "Bruce is too low in the mix" problem is growing as the time passes. I can't overcome it :( I feel like the song's potential is somewhat ruined. Especially when you listen Stratego and TWOTW right after. Mix/production style on TWOTW is so much better and "professional". I feel like TWOTW was handled by Shirley, and Stratego was given to Steve. I still hope that CD will sound more on the same level.
It might have been like that: Kevin: "We are almost done, only Stratego is left. I gotta go out to the bathroom. Don't touch anything Steve!" Steve: "Sure!" Kevin leaves. Steve: "Let's see what we have here, I guess he will not notice if I adjust these knobs a bit..."

It might have been like that: Kevin: "We are almost done, only Stratego is left. I gotta go out to the bathroom. Don't touch anything Steve!" Steve: "Sure!" Kevin leaves. Steve: "Let's see what we have here, I guess he will not notice if I adjust these knobs a bit..."
I like to imagine him like a toddler trying to push different shaped pegs through the wrong holes.

Back