Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

No idea how I would feel about a modern sounding Maiden record. What that now even means. Technology has changed, most for the better but you win some and you lose some.

My own personal taste, I like Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son but as far as most of the rest, I am glad they don't sound like that anymore.

I am absolutely against the notion that the 80s albums sound better than the re-union albums. The guitars are thinner, you can barely hear the bass drum, and everything is swathed in a lot more reverb. I think Birch is great and I think the 80s albums are classics writing and production wise, but back in 2000 when I heard the first notes of Wicker Man, they had never sounded that powerful before.

Agree to 110%.

2003 complaint: Iron Maiden have three guitarists but you would never know due to the short fillers and how you don't notice it in the production.

2021 complaint: Iron Maiden's songs are too long because they have three guitarists and all need to have their sound heard.

2003 complaint: Iron Maiden have three guitarists but you would never know due to the short fillers and how you don't notice it in the production.

2021 complaint: Iron Maiden's songs are too long because they have three guitarists and all need to have their sound heard.
Interesting stuff, I just listened to BNW again in a long time and there are big differences in the mix there. For instance, in Mercenary the guitars are quite hidden, you would never tell that there are three guitarists, you can barely hear one. The drums are mixed very high in that song. Dream Of Mirrors on the other hand is wonderfully mixed.

So, which production style, album sound do you prefer:
AOB, TCW, TOS or BNW, DOD, AMOLAD, TFF, TBOS?
please, be honest. To me, it's obvious. Bruce's solo material sounds fantastic.

Every reply will have a different preference I think :) I would not compare the Bruce and Maiden albums. TCW and AOB are both great sounding albums.

For Maiden, I think BNW is the overall best sounding reunion album, even though it's not perfect either.
I still don't know why they have deviated from that sound on later albums, especially for the worse.

I want to believe that Senjutsu either takes the lead or comes at second place based on TWOTW.

AMOLAD. The drum sound is amazing - it's like you're standing right next to Nicko in the room. It also doesn't have nearly as much sample replacement on the drums. On BNW all the drums were nearly entirely sample replaced, only the cymbals are unaltered. On AMOLAD, aside from some sample augmentation on the kick and snare in places, everything sounds natural.

Plus the album was not mastered so it actually has dynamic range and isn't clipped to shit like DOD.

To me AMOLAD is overly depressing :oops:
I tend to appreciate AMOLAD a lot lately, it's full of greatness, as for the songs and the musicianship. But the production is simply flat. That album could have been elevated to the max with a better production. For instance, I tried to like Different World, but it's so weak, and not because it's a bad song, it sounds lame. Again, some songs were mixed differently. Lord of Light has better overall mix to me and especially TROBB.

I like the production of the reunion albums - BNW and AMOLAD are my favorites. I choose BNW as my favorite production from all.

I wouldn't mind a production like Firepower, although I still prefer the Maiden production of the reunion albums (because it sounds different every time).

I like the production of AOB, TCW and TOS albums. Really metal feel.

Reactions: jcv
Back on topic.

Based on the reviews, I'm surprised that ''The Time Machine'' contains more progressive elements/parts - Janick usually writes in the classic/traditional style of Maiden (which is the case with the other song in the album co-written by him)... Steve added these prog elements for sure.

I find I typically like the song that half the people don't like.
I love Lord of Light, Starblind and The Red and the Black.

I also have no issues with the length of any Iron Maiden song. So when people complain about length or bits that they say are not needed or unnecessary, it doesn't deter me at all.
I like it when Maiden go extravagant, I like it when they do lots of solos and instrumentals, I love guitars.
If that song is of the same quality as If Eternity Should Fail or The Boook of Souls (opener/title song), then I will be a very happy man.

AMOLAD. The drum sound is amazing - it's like you're standing right next to Nicko in the room. It also doesn't have nearly as much sample replacement on the drums. On BNW all the drums were nearly entirely sample replaced, only the cymbals are unaltered. On AMOLAD, aside from some sample augmentation on the kick and snare in places, everything sounds natural.

Plus the album was not mastered so it actually has dynamic range and isn't clipped to shit like DOD.
Yep..AMOLAD sound is glorious. That transition from the Lord of Light soft intro into the monster main riff. Just listen to the dynamics, scale and natural sound. huge.

Vinyl to vinyl. What would you say are the biggest differences?
Oh I misunderstood then, I dont have remastered vinyls. All of mine are original upto The X Factor. Anyway this is getting off topic again I am thinking of creating a thread. If one already exists please link it

Back