Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

No producer on earth would make things different until Steve has the final say. Kevin can do much better, but he is functioning as an engineer rather than a producer. It will never fully change, it took like 6 albums to improve the sound as you can hear on TWOTW with evident things like little reverb and bringing the guitars a little bit forward. It is what it is.

The production often fails to put Bruce Dickinson in his true light - I don't agree with that. And I'm sure it won't be any different for the new album too.

Well, we can't be sure until we've heard the whole record. :P

There might be a point in it, looking back at the previous albums. Especially on TFF Bruce often sounded a bit dry. Ok-good and there's no denying how gloriously he nails stuff like The Talisman, but I can kind of buy the argument about modern Maiden mixes not taking full advantage of Bruce's delivery.

The Writing on the Wall was definitely promising on that department too, so we'll see!

I'm still excited as ever.

johnglen: can you gimme a name of the song well produced in your opinion and a Maiden studio song to compare? I might be a filthy casual, but I really don't know what are last few pages about...

the point i was making in regards to to Firepower is that yes i was the best sounding Priest album in like 30 years but the songs themselves were not of the same quality as 30 years before, they were better off trying something different a la Nostradamus that blatantly trying and failing to be the band they were in the 80's.

:facepalm: Wtf, I'll take "best sounding album in 30 years" with songs which they capable to create nowadays, over "problematic sounding album" with songs which they capable to create nowadays, any time of the day. Is that even a Question? :oops:

Last edited:
20 years in I'm sure Shirley has his input but at the end of the day the Maiden records sound they way they do because that's how Steve wants it. End of story. No, they haven't had the spit and polish like Modern Metal (which to me often sounds soulless, lifeless - like background music for video games.) I love Priest but I thought Firepower sounded a bit sterile at times. There is a happy medium. And that was with the master, Martin Birch.

20 years in I'm sure Shirley has his input but at the end of the day the Maiden records sound they way they do because that's how Steve wants it. End of story. No, they haven't had the spit and polish like Modern Metal (which to me often sounds soulless, lifeless - like background music for video games.) I love Priest but I thought Firepower sounded a bit sterile at times. There is a happy medium. And that was with the master, Martin Birch.
Agreed. I'm sick of arguments like "Maiden should do a modern sounding album like Firepower".

Now don't get me wrong, I like Firepower a lot. It's the best Priest album since Painkiller and has some great hooks. But, similar to how Ozzy records now there's a lot of studio trickery going on. The album is Pro-Tooled to the max with barely anything organic sounding on it.

If Maiden did this they'd be crucified as it would completely go against their core philosophy. Maiden play live in the studio. Sometimes that means recordings will be rough around the edges but at least it sounds like a real band performing. I'd rather have this than some over produced, clinical effort.

Some albums are so over produced they sound like a gallon of Windex was taken to them. Countdown To Extinction is a prime example.

Agreed. I'm sick of arguments like "Maiden should do a modern sounding album like Firepower".

Now don't get me wrong, I like Firepower a lot. It's the best Priest album since Painkiller and has some great hooks. But, similar to how Ozzy records now there's a lot of studio trickery going on. The album is Pro-Tooled to the max with barely anything organic sounding on it.

If Maiden did this they'd be crucified as it would completely go against their core philosophy. Maiden play live in the studio. Sometimes that means recordings will be rough around the edges but at least it sounds like a real band performing. I'd rather have this than some over produced, clinical effort.
Abso-posi-fucking-lutely

Agreed!

As much as I, too, like to complain about several issues considering the production of some of their albums, I also genuinely enjoy the sound of them very much. Amongst all the over-produced, noisy and clinical modern rock & metal around Maiden really sounds quite organic and powerful, whatever issues and annoying elements there might be in their approach.

Iron Maiden sounds what Iron Maiden sounds like when playing together. I think that's awesome. Granted, I still gladly moan about several things, especially the dry vocals on The Final Frontier, but overall, it's not a deal-breaker for me. And as often mentioned on this thread, TWOTW, some reviews here and there and probably most of all Adrian's comments really seem to indicate that this album is going to sound very good.

EXACTLY. It is the sound of The Beast remember? No one wants a beast to be dressed up in his Sunday best, suit and tied, hair slicked back with camera makeup on. He's a fkn BEAST. hair, warts and beastliness. give me the beastly sounding album. Judging from TWOTW that's what we are gonna get. Real and beautiful.

I am absolutely against the notion that the 80s albums sound better than the re-union albums. The guitars are thinner, you can barely hear the bass drum, and everything is swathed in a lot more reverb. I think Birch is great and I think the 80s albums are classics writing and production wise, but back in 2000 when I heard the first notes of Wicker Man, they had never sounded that powerful before.

Back