Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Sign of the Cross (Nights of the Dead) was released on a Monday though..

Yeah, but was it an official single?
I wouldn't say so... Just an extract.

Moreover, I was talking about the official singles for the studio albums, which to me is all that matters. A live album hasn't got any new music...

SOL came out on a Friday
TWOTW came out on a Thursday

If Stratego is an official single, as it seems judging by Amazon's red sticker, it should have a proper official videoclip, which I think could be out on a Thursday or Friday.

Having said that, the fact we don't have physical singles anymore, I bet any day would be good to have it.

(Just checked: The Final Frontier edit single, with its official videoclip, came out on a Tuesday... But that was 11 years ago, and things may have changed)

7th Son being the closest to a filler free album IMO.
Albums without fillers? SIT, SSOASS, BNW and AMOLAD.
I don't think I ever see snippets available ahead of time for any new album releases these days. The last Maiden album to have those was Final Frontier.
Yep. It was a 30 seconds snippet of every song, IIRC.
Metal Hammer review seems like fake one to be honest. No memorable melodies and riffs? WotW is still in my head.
Exactly. No memorable melodies and riffs? In Maiden? - yeah, right...

Last edited:
When are singles usually released? Albums seem to be fridays, is it the same with singles?

Maiden "singles" don't seem to be chart compliant anymore so they could in theory be released on any day of the week since there isn't any considerations of getting a product to the shops or optimising chart position by releasing on first day of the chart week.

View attachment 16422
Only thing that gives me hope is the wording "includes". This word only makes sense if both songs were released before album release. Or maybe i am reading too much into it
Same here!

Speaking about stuff from Iron Maiden being released today - I noticed that they have the Best of the B-Sides album up on Spotify. I've hooked Blood on the World's Hands from that one in to my veins as I write this.

Reactions: Oca
Same here!

Speaking about stuff from Iron Maiden being released today - I noticed that they have the Best of the B-Sides album up on Spotify. I've hooked Blood on the World's Hands from that one in to my veins as I write this.
Ooooh thx!!! I’v been waiting so long for this. This Will make the waiting a little less haunting

From what I've heard so far - WOTW and the descriptions of the album so far, I think this album will be very similar to what The Book of Souls was. And yes, I know I haven't heard the album yet and blah blah. That's just my gut feeling.

Not sure what magazine this is from…
Another really positive review. Short, not for all songs. The album will be great.

I love the ending of the review: ''Senjutsu is concise and pretty damn killer. The fact that they can do this seventeen albums in is truly astonishing.''

Prediction on Stratego:

Melodic lead intro, verse in major key, pre chorus with lead following the vocal line and chorus in minor key -> solo from Gers in shred mode :)

There are 4 reviews in the German “Metal Hammer”:
Reviewer 1: 6,5/7
Reviewer 2: 5,5/7
Reviewer 3: 6/7
Reviewer 4: 3;5/7 (For this reviewer, it’s a weak album, a disappointment.)
@Melony thanks for your brilliant translation of Reviewer 4. Awesome job. Did Reviewer 1, 2 or 3 say anything of particular interest that you recall?

Reviewer 4, Metal Hammer Germany:
I tried it on different days, in different moods., gave it a chance to grow, to create an aha moment, to break through. The problems start with the introduction: Why put such a ponderous song at the beginning? Although there is not a single song on the entire album that completely wows me one of the livelier songs (Stratego, TWOTW) would have been better suited than this lame duck.
In general, the band seems to consciously stand on the brakes for long stretches. Besides the absence of any hooks, memorable riffs, uplifting refrains and sing-along passages, ponderous midtempo, progressive structures and expansive instrumental phases dominate and problems with the mixing and Bruce's vocals, which sound pressed in the highs instead of powerful, are noticeable in places.
The best are the moments reminiscent of “Dance of Death” ( Lost in a Lost World, The Time Machine, The Parchment and the neat conclusion Hell on Earth). It is and remains too cerebral, long-winded, expansive and below the line too indifferent.
Instead of a sword that cuts through the air, the band gives us a detailed but blunt blade that has already developed rust.

Last edited:
Speaking of reviews and reviewers, I recently read a review on Yngwie’s latest effort that was given 4,5 out of 5, so I guess the reviewer was either a total fanboy, deaf or had no idea what he was doing.
He probably had it confused with Rising Force, Odyssey or Seventh Sign. Easy mistake.

Back