Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Compared a couple of tracks back to back of the reunion albums and to my surprise I actually liked TWOTW best by a hair to AMOLAD remaster. BNW has a good sound, but it’s quite compressed, the drums (samples…) are way to high in the mix and the guitars take a back seat to the bass and drums, not that balanced. DOD is brickwalled to hell, but could have sounded great, the ingredients are all there. AMOLAD sounds really good to my ears. Balanced mix and natural sounds all over. TFF is dry as a bone, almost sucks the life out of the songs. TBOS is quite thin and lacks thump and the mids are squeaky.
Conclusion - Senjutsu is going to sound good given that you like the general signature of the reunion albums. There’s a bit of air, space and dynamics paired with bottom end that was missing the last time. Guitar sound is more balanced and coherent and panned correctly. So, technically it’s a good to great album mix wise, but if it’s your taste? Up to you to decide.

Compared a couple of tracks back to back of the reunion albums and to my surprise I actually liked TWOTW best by a hair to AMOLAD remaster. BNW has a good sound, but it’s quite compressed, the drums (samples…) are way to high in the mix and the guitars take a back seat to the bass and drums, not that balanced. DOD is brickwalled to hell, but could have sounded great, the ingredients are all there. AMOLAD sounds really good to my ears. Balanced mix and natural sounds all over. TFF is dry as a bone, almost sucks the life out of the songs. TBOS is quite thin and lacks thump and the mids are squeaky.
Conclusion - Senjutsu is going to sound good given that you like the general signature of the reunion albums. There’s a bit of air, space and dynamics paired with bottom end that was missing the last time. Guitar sound is more balanced and coherent and panned correctly. So, technically it’s a good to great album mix wise, but if it’s your taste? Up to you to decide.
What you say about BNW is right but I still like it because I will shamelessly admit I love to hear Steve’s bass plunking away. It’s there on TWOTW but toned down a bit. Expecting Senjutsu to be the best sounding reunion album. If H likes it that’s a good sign.

What you say about BNW is right but I still like it because I will shamelessly admit I love to hear Steve’s bass plunking away. It’s there on TWOTW but toned down a bit. Expecting Senjutsu to be the best sounding reunion album. If H likes it that’s a good sign.
I’m with you :)
Love to hear Steve thumping away and given the album that preceded BNW, the sonic evolution is astonishing. Still, looking at it from a technical perspective and not from an artistic and musical, the mix is a bit lob sided towards the bass and drum. A couple of tracks have the guitars more upfront and that makes a huge difference IMO.

I’m with you :)
Love to hear Steve thumping away and given the album that preceded BNW, the sonic evolution is astonishing. Still, looking at it from a technical perspective and not from an artistic and musical, the mix is a bit lob sided towards the bass and drum. A couple of tracks have the guitars more upfront and that makes a huge difference IMO.
I guess that’s why I love Maiden England 88 so much. Steve’s bass is so out there it’s borderline ridiculous :bigsmile:

Hey guys long time lurker, don't really post much but I will say this...
BNW and DOD are my fave reunion albums and yes I love the 80's Classics as well as some in the 90's FOTD, BYDTTS, Futureal, Clansman and the only thing I hated on BNW was The Nomad i Didn't like the feel of the song (Personal opinion) but DOD I loved all the songs on that album I just thought they could have went with a better album cover like a load of eddies sitting around a table with their cloaks and hood up ect... This is what I found on google and what I think it should have been...
Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 19.45.48.png

Moving on to present Maiden... Time or age isn't on their side anymore so I don't mind if this albums bad or not but I do think maiden should do this...

Record History Part 4 - Before they get too old to do interviews and they have had enough time to do it, I just hope It's like part 1 with lots of content as part 3 was rushed and horrible...

Maiden should tour with new album later this year/early next then go straight in to a greatest hits/farewell tour as Nicko is 70 next june and the other guys are mid 60's, I mean I want to see them a few more times but I don't want to see Nicko hanging on by the skin of his teeth and judging by the last few years the band has slowed are are not in their prime I'd rather they go out with a bang then drag on for 5 more years and just get worse.

So, which production style, album sound do you prefer:
AOB, TCW, TOS or BNW, DOD, AMOLAD, TFF, TBOS?
please, be honest. To me, it's obvious. Bruce's solo material sounds fantastic.
Accident of birth. Not Chemical wedding (too downtuned). I wouldn’t like Maiden to sound like Chemical wedding.

Moving on to present Maiden... Time or age isn't on their side anymore so I don't mind if this albums bad or not but I do think maiden should do this...

Record History Part 4 - Before they get too old to do interviews and they have had enough time to do it, I just hope It's like part 1 with lots of content as part 3 was rushed and horrible...

Maiden should tour with new album later this year/early next then go straight in to a greatest hits/farewell tour as Nicko is 70 next june and the other guys are mid 60's, I mean I want to see them a few more times but I don't want to see Nicko hanging on by the skin of his teeth and judging by the last few years the band has slowed are are not in their prime I'd rather they go out with a bang then drag on for 5 more years and just get worse.
I think if they just let the artist flesh out the characters on the DOD cover it would have been a great one.

I don't think they're slowing down that much. Yes, they are no longer spring chickens. But the LOTB 19 show was one of best I ever saw. I wouldn't worry so much about Nicko, many people think his drumming was the best part about the LOTB live album. I think the guys have several more years and could even do another album or two (if that's what they want). It just sucks we lost 2 years to Covid. My concern though is Bruce seemed to get ill more on the last two tours and that's not surprising considering his system has been compromised due to the cancer treatment. Bruce seems to think they can keep going though. Isn't Halford turning 70 this year? So let's not show them the door just yet...

This is exactly my thoughts!

Reactions: Oca
EXACTLY. It is the sound of The Beast remember? No one wants a beast to be dressed up in his Sunday best, suit and tied, hair slicked back with camera makeup on. He's a fkn BEAST. hair, warts and beastliness. give me the beastly sounding album. Judging from TWOTW that's what we are gonna get. Real and beautiful.
Ah, and I was hoping they would cover this one as a B-side :(

My doctor has given me the date for my eye surgery today: Sept, 3!

Reviewer 4, Metal Hammer Germany:
Iron Maiden seem to have lost certain parts of the audience due to their advanced progressiveness and a tendency to get out of hand already with THE BOOK OF SOULS. Six years later the second double album in the career of the
Brits is by no means a turnaround. Starting with the shanty-like chorus of the introductory title track, the Spanish guitar intro of the first single or the “Lady In Black“ campfire prelude of ”Lost In a Lost World“, the band makes intensified use of global musical folkloric figures, while Dickinson shines with several heroically good vocal melodies (”The Time Machine”). “Death Of The Celts“ is definitely on par with classic Maiden ten-minute epics of the past,
and the part of the song in which Harris' dribbling bass in front of the guitar guitar thunderstorm dominates the stage is applause-worthy. Grumblers point out (not unjustly) the usual musty production of Kevin “Caveman" Shirley or the predominant dwelling in mid-tempo as well as (again not entirely unjustly) the disproportion of ideas and song length. And, yes, admittedly, the creative emptiness of ”The Parchment“ is a dramaturgical stumbling block and a rather aimless string-instrumentalist-bukkake, which was not needed. Especially not because Maiden in ”Hell On Earth“ afterwards have so much more esprit and aplomb, and thus prove with the final that they are despite possible points of criticism in their very own league.

Back