Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the reviewer in the Loud Wire article mentioned any of the following words:
repetition, repetitive, repeated and if he did it wasn't next the word "chorus."

Virtual XI got a minus review in the one of the biggest newspapers in my country. - was the lowest score and +++++ was top score. Think the headline was something like “Fallen heroes” or something along those lines. Different times back then obviously.
I was just listening to VXI now, nice album, more rock sometimes but its tasty, the solos too.

Considering the obvious circumstances around this feature, I'm definitely not going to put much faith in the actual review portion, but the tidbits revealed are pretty interesting. Definitely curious about the amount of acoustic intros on the album. If they're varied enough it should be fine, but man that's a lot of 'em. I worry that they'll start to blend together towards the end, at least on first listen.

Still, it'll be interesting to hear how the rest of the album ends up since TWOTW was more than solid. I recall TBOS being rather impressive the first time round so I figure it'll be a while before the initial new Maiden hype wears off and anything resembling objectivity enters the fray, but even with healthy skepticism I can't exactly say this review's made me less hyped.

I was just listening to VXI now, nice album, more rock sometimes but its tasty, the solos too.
The solos are really good, but overall it’s substandard for Maiden IMO. Could’ve been so much better with more inspired drumming, better production and more elaborate arrangements. Imagine if the leftover songs from VXI that were used on BNW had been on VXI instead together with my other points. Could’ve been great, but as it is, it wasn’t great. So much better live though.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the reviewer in the Loud Wire article mentioned any of the following words:
repetition, repetitive, repeated and if he did it wasn't next the word "chorus."
Yeah, I noticed that as well. There were a few mentions of some lyric Harris-isms (lots of words in a short period of time) but not a lot either.

I'm intrigued by some of the vocal layering and cinematic effects (title track) that were mentioned as well.

Sounds like Death of the Celts will be The Clansman part 6 or so (Blood Brothers, No More Lies, FTGGOG, WTWWB and TRATB are all similar), but I'm still excited about those other Harris tunes.

The worrying thing I took from the review was the Steve epics just seem the same old blueprint. 3 with slow acoustic intros and lots of references to them sounding like other songs . Hopefully the Harris epics don't drag the album down as the reviewer seemed most excited by the other tracks and it was only the albums closer that got some excitement out of him . Like You finally nailed one arry haha

You are right. He even went as far as saying that he wanted DOFP chorus being repeated more. lol.

Mixed feelings about the review. My main takeaways are that Steve is still writing Steve things,and that there is some Blaze-esque song. The former is neither here nor there and the latter could be good or very bad depending on the Blaze song.

From the review, now that i'm at PC (can't be arsed to type on mobile):

Firstly, what I don't like to hear... Janick following Bruce's vocals on Stratego and Lost In A Lost World. If it's done right it's ok (examples: GOTN, TBOS). If it's done on fast vocal parts (example: TRATB, it can sound bad, because Bruce is straining and guitar is in tune. Hopefully it's former. Also from the review, it seems like Lost In A Lost World houses everything that I don't like about 'Arry's epics. But if the others are what they seem to be, it's better that everything is housed in one of 4 songs and the other 3 are epic.

Now... The excitement (the songs I'm most excited about):

Senjutsu: Seems like it's very different from everything Maiden has ever done... I love that. I loved IESF, which was also very different. Bring it on Steve and H.

Days Of Future Past: Out Of The Silent Planet? With few Eastern vibes? By H? Great lyrics by Bruce? Give it to me.

The Time Machine: It's a Harris/Gers. They don't miss with long songs. DOD, Legacy, Talisman, TBOS... It has to be great.

Darkest Hour: This is possibly the song I'm most excited for, considering what the review stated. Different. AOB/TCW like. Ballad? Erm... Very interested how this one sounds like.

Death Of The Celts: Well, Clansman 2? Let's hear it. Might as well boot out the old Clansman and play this. Bring it on

The Parchement: No choruses? Powerslave meets TBOS? Dark? Lots of parts? This is exciting AF. And it seems like this could be the best song from Harris in a long time.

Hell On Earth: Now, considering what Bruce said... I'm not gonna lie, I felt like this one might be a bit so-so.But from the review, it seems like it's an amazing track. And it's not an old man rambling, but it's about war. Bring it on.

All in all, from the review, It seems to me like the run from Days Of The Future Past through Hell On Earth is stellar. Where is September the 3rd?

I see the review as very encouraging. For me Steve being Steve is a good thing.
I just don't really view it as particularly new information. Outside of knowing some of the songs have the classic Steve tropes I don't really feel like I've got info that's swaying me one way or the other - unlike, say, The Darkest Hour, which now sounds a lot more interesting.

There were a few mentions of some lyric Harris-isms (lots of words in a short period of time)

If you are talking about the quote @Azas mentioned earlier, then there is no mention of a short period of time, it actually says it builds and builds because Steve writes a lot of words. Which implies many verses rather than Bruce being tongue tied, as if he was spitting the words out quickly then it wouldn't be building and building.

Back