Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

The optimum running time for vinyl I think is somewhere in the region of 17 mins per side of a 12 inch, so anything longer than that means quality is sacrificed.

Thanks, I always thought vinyl was fine into the early 20-minute range, mostly because I remember Martin Birch implying there were issues with Powerslave and LAD have 25 minutes+ per side.

Good description of vinyl lengths here:

Well I was expecting another double album, but my logic getting there was more collaboration, not Harris unleashing an onslaught of epics. To have written so much material, I hope (and I think reasonably expect) that there’s quite a bit of variety there. Bruce’s comments about there being a couple of different songs and Harris’ comments about some of them being quite difficult excite me. One thing I missed from TBOS was the instrumental work was fairly straightforward compared to TFF.

The dark (green) background of the cover surprised me... I thought that they will go for a lighter color after TBOS.

It fits the artwork, but maybe brighter and more colorful green would have been better - we don't have a green cover.

It’s also interesting that they’ve decided to match what they were doing on TBOS in so many ways. Same studio, same recording approach, even the same cover artist. I am surprised they went for the simple Eddie on black cover scheme again. That was such a unique move on TBOS. I hope there’s a nice gatefold piece like TBOS had.

With all that said, the writing credits are pretty surprising. Very little Dickinson input, which I was not expecting at all. Even Smith and Gers seem a little less present. And of course no Murray. I wonder what the story is. Steve must have come in with a lot of material from the beginning.

Well I was expecting another double album, but my logic getting there was more collaboration, not Harris unleashing an onslaught of epics. To have written so much material, I hope (and I think reasonably expect) that there’s quite a bit of variety there. Bruce’s comments about there being a couple of different songs and Harris’ comments about some of them being quite difficult excite me. One thing I missed from TBOS was the instrumental work was fairly straightforward compared to TFF.
I was expecting a shorter album than TBOS, but not a double album again.

So many epics from Steve is quite interesting and curious.... very difficult and complex songs - let's hope for the best.

Back