Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

I am...not in love with the name or the aesthetic. 6 old British dudes releasing an album co-opting Japanese culture this heavily feels rather odd. I really feel like there was a better album title available (even if it's just one of the other song titles). Writing On The Wall would've been better. I don't know. Something feels weird about it. I'm willing to dive in because it's Maiden and I'm pumped, but I think a giant stage set of Japanese architecture is gonna be strange.
I don't see how this is much different from Powerslave or TBOS. If Maiden thinks the Japanese culture is rich enough to base an album cover + title around (which it is), that should be received as a compliment, not an insult.

Well I was expecting another double album, but my logic getting there was more collaboration, not Harris unleashing an onslaught of epics. To have written so much material, I hope (and I think reasonably expect) that there’s quite a bit of variety there. Bruce’s comments about there being a couple of different songs and Harris’ comments about some of them being quite difficult excite me. One thing I missed from TBOS was the instrumental work was fairly straightforward compared to TFF.

That will be very interesting for sure. In all honesty the last fully Harris penned track The Red And The Black did not do anything for me so perhaps I am in for a bad time with the new album but staying cautiously optimistic!

No Dave songs. When was the last time that happened?
The X-Factor. What's more striking is "only" 3 Dickinson co-written songs. And those 3 longest tracks at the end: all HARRIS, HARRIS, HARRIS!
I'm also a bit surpised that the idea for the cover (and album?) came from Harris. It seemed such a Brucey topic (Sun and Steel). But there was also The Duellists by 'Arry of course.

Sure, agreed. I'm not offended by it, but it just feels bizarre and very un-Maiden (which seems to be the point based on Bruce's quote).

All very true. I guess Powerslave is the most apt comparison in terms of going "all in" on the concept.
I have no problem with what Maiden is doing here, but I think the argument that could be made, if someone really wanted to is that modern day Japan has more of a cultural link to the past than present day Egypt currently does to the time period represented on Powerslave as far as culture and customs that are still observed.

I don't see how this is much different from Powerslave or TBOS. If Maiden thinks the Japanese culture is rich enough to base an album cover + title around (which it is), that should be received as a compliment, not an insult.
Indeed. Again, I'm not considering it an insult, just saying it feels like an odd title.

The X-Factor. What's more striking is "only" 3 Dickinson co-written songs. And those 3 longest tracks at the end: all HARRIS, HARRIS, HARRIS!
Yeah, I found that to be pretty odd as well. I'd love a 30-minute epic by 'Arry split into 3 chapters.

At first I didn't like the album title either but it´s new and fresh and it fits the artwork!
Something like "The Last Samurai" would´ve been way too cheesy as a title IMO.

On the other hand why Ancient Egypt or Maya is cool and not Japan? The moment one starts discovering this country one can be blown away of its depth, weirdness and elegance. And a culture very much alive unlike the former two.
Ancient Egypt, Babylone, and Maya do feel exotic. Japan not much, maybe because of all the anime culture Japan is not that exciting anymore. I wouldn't like an album about New York either (I mean thematically not musically).
But the new Eddie is cool.

REMINDER TO ALL:

The "Report" function is used to report posts to moderators. It is meant to bring posts to our attention that are against the forum rules. Please do not hit "report" on random posts. Repeated abuse of this system will lead to a ban.

If you're going to be funny and hit "report" just to annoy us, we will ban you without further warning.

"Body language analysis:

Janick - desperately resisting the urge to do his trademark thumbs up
Steve - Yeah, 4 Harris epics. I'm back motherfuckers.
Bruce - Excited about the prospect of the return of long-haired publicity shots.
Adrian - U wot m8? I'm just back from the toilet
Dave - Content to just be playing and not writing
Nicko - I can still smash it at 69, look at these guns mate."

Saw this on Reddit, had a good laugh.

I’m often not a fan of the word “co-opting.” We’re all humans and we’re allowed interest and homage to different cultures. Plus, Japan loves Maiden. Reaching into other country’s cultures is also not new for them:
Nomad
Powerslave (album art and song)
Book of Souls
Not to mention all of the tour location specific t-shirts and merchandise..

Reactions: jcv
Back