Rush

Top 5 Rush Albums/Next Band

• Total voters
An article from the R40 tour that I never saw before with plenty of personal and background info I never knew about:

Suddenly, you were gone
From all the lives you left your mark upon

I can’t believe this. I’m grateful for the three times I got to see Rush live, especially on the final tour. Neil shared so much with the world and at such cost, it is simply astounding.

He will be missed. He will never be equalled.

The other day Spirit of Radio came on, naturally, the radio. It’s strange to think that the song still has something new to say to me at this point, yet I was still taken by a couple things (both Peart related). While I tend not to be a lyric guy, one of things I do appreciate about lyrics is how fluid their meaning can be depending on where one is in life. This time around, the following line felt more relevant to me:

“One likes to believe in the freedom of music
But glittering prizes and endless compromises
Shatters the illusion of integrity”

Not only does it feel relevant to my life right now, but I also appreciate that Peart’s personal voice and experience oozes in that line.

The other observation was something I’ve noticed more in their earlier prog days, but I love when Neil gets on Melodic percussion and the band becomes a mini orchestra. It’s something you don’t get from a lot of rock bands, and the way they insert that into a pop song format is remarkable.

The final thing I’ll say is that, as a guitarist, I tend to listen to music for the guitars. Ideally the whole package should work, and it does or Rush, but they’re also one of the few bands where the drums stood out just as much as the guitar when I was discovering them.

Anyway, Peart was a genius and his voice as a drummer and lyricist defined the band in many ways. I also appreciated his ability to continue learning when any other rock drummer would consider that level sufficient. Legendary. RIP

Last edited:
I know that Maiden guys don't use social media but I would like them to make a statement or say something about Neil and rush

Discography threads was kind of a thing here for a short time, and there is one on Rush you could co-opt for your thing. I’m not really checking random album reviews thread but I would be interested in following along with Rush.

Now playing...

Went on the Rush well... rush tonight while drinking wine and listened to Freewill, La Villa Strangiato, The Spirit Of The Radio, Natural Science, The Camera Eye, Afterimage, Prime Mover, Mission, The Pass, Bravado, Ghost Of A Chance and The Garden.

Those songs are IMO special lyrically (except La Villa, of course), so I decided to visit them tonight.

Especially The Garden hit me. It was supposed to be the end of a graphic novel and a concept album, but is now much more than that.

"A measure of life is a measure of love and respect"

"The future disappears into memory, with only a moment between"

We lost a lyrical genious. With his last song, he wrote one of the most important messages to everyone...

Now playing...

Went on the Rush well... rush tonight while drinking wine and listened to Freewill, La Villa Strangiato, The Spirit Of The Radio, Natural Science, The Camera Eye, Afterimage, Prime Mover, Mission, The Pass, Bravado, Ghost Of A Chance and The Garden.

Those songs are IMO special lyrically (except La Villa, of course), so I decided to visit them tonight.

Especially The Garden hit me. It was supposed to be the end of a graphic novel and a concept album, but is now much more than that.

"A measure of life is a measure of love and respect"

"The future disappears into memory, with only a moment between"

We lost a lyrical genious. With his last song, he wrote one of the most important messages to everyone...

Agreed, The Garden has taken on an even greater meaning, before hand it was already an emotional and lyrically brilliant masterpiece. Honestly there are very few songs which I feel lived up to it lyrically and now it is the final goodbye from Neil and the band adding so much more depth to its message.

I know that Maiden guys don't use social media but I would like them to make a statement or say something about Neil and rush
Steve was asked about Neil on Rob Rush Radio. The audio is available the Soundcloud widget in the Blabbermouth article:

I assume you are being factious, but I saw that song live couple of times and as simple as it is, really enjoyable way to end the night with all the house lights on! The crowd really got into it.

Reactions: Jer
Back