Rush

Top 5 Rush Albums/Next Band

• Total voters
Yesterday I discovered Rush. I knew before for a long time that Rush existed, but never paid any attention. Man, they are superb.
Yes, they are. Glad you found your way!

I reviewed their whole studio album run a couple of years ago here, if you’re looking for more info on what the various albums sound like and what you might want to listen to next. The band went through some very distinct phases over the years, and different people like different parts of their career better. You might chuckle when you see how low 2112 is on my list…

Yes, they are. Glad you found your way!

I reviewed their whole studio album run a couple of years ago here, if you’re looking for more info on what the various albums sound like and what you might want to listen to next. The band went through some very distinct phases over the years, and different people like different parts of their career better. You might chuckle when you see how low 2112 is on my list…
Interesting, I will check your reviews later tonight. Also interesting that you rate 2112 rather low, so it seems really promising to go through all of their records.

Reactions: Jer
You´re in for a treat, I envy you a lot!
I discovered Rush in 1994 with 2112 and Counterparts, and a tape from my uncle with All The Worlds A Stage on it. But Exit...Stage Left was the album that made me totally crazy about them!

Rush is a special band. I love many songs and albums and there's some I find utterly baffling. But there's a reason they're among the greats.

Yesterday I discovered Rush. I knew before for a long time that Rush existed, but never paid any attention. Man, they are superb. I checked out only one album yet, 2112, and I'm really curious what there will be to discover on all their other albums. I think they are much more interesting than Led Zeppelin, which I always loved and still love. But Rush seem to be even more creative and experimental.

You are in for a treat! You can always use the most popular albums from this thread's poll to select which albums to discover next.

Enjoy!

Yesterday I discovered Rush. I knew before for a long time that Rush existed, but never paid any attention. Man, they are superb. I checked out only one album yet, 2112, and I'm really curious what there will be to discover on all their other albums. I think they are much more interesting than Led Zeppelin, which I always loved and still love. But Rush seem to be even more creative and experimental.
would be interested what you think when you dive into the strange but amazing world of Hemispheres.

I've actually started a Rush retrospective in reverse order and I'm having a blast. Their discography is so dense that I often forget how good the albums are, even if they aren't the most popular.

Clockwork Angels is truly stellar, top 3 album for me. Snakes & Arrows is also really good, while Vapor Trails and Test for Echo are certainly a bit bland. Still enjoyable listens, though.

Well, except for Dog Years.

great band - i've often called them my all-time fave until the Maiden Reunion albums finally clicked with me in the mid-'10's

I listen to their "core greatness years" albums more now than ever (Caress of Steel up to and including Presto), but listen to everything before CoS and everything after Presto far less as the years go by. (I'd through on Counterparts, Test for Echo, Vapor Trails, or the last two Nick Rascal-line-its produced ones every now and then through the mid-'10's, but rarely anymore.

The opposite of Maiden in some ways. The Reunion era has really set in and descended upon my consciousness as excellence in craft, storytelling, and melody in too many instances to not listen to a Maiden reunion disk at least 3-4x each week.

I rank 2112 and Hold Your Fire as the weakest of their "Golden Years" output, yet still realize their greatness and given them at least a few spins with each passing turn around El Sol.

Tears in my eyes. This is amazing. What the hell Geddy???? AT FUCKING 70????!!!! And Neil and Taylor in front of the drums... Man...
P.S. Check out Hot For Teacher played by Wolfie, Dave and Justin Hawkins... Tears in my eyes again.

Signals was my 1st new lp by Rush.
Disappointed no live show from Signals tour in this anniversary edition

Signals was my 1st new lp by Rush.
Disappointed no live show from Signals tour in this anniversary edition

Ya, that's pretty sad they finally have an opportunity for a show from that tour and all we get is the same album multiple times.

I've said it before, but don't be surprised if this is a preview of what things will look like post-retirement for Maiden as well.

Last box I got was Farewell to Kings. The live show was great, the liner notes were cool, and the new mix was really nice, but I didn't feel like there was much there to justify further box sets. Especially at the price they're selling these at. Honestly, I don't even really care that much about repeated setlists or audio quality - do what bands like King Crimson/Yes/Frank Zappa do and release a big box with multiple shows from a tour. The hardcore fans these things are marketed for will eat them up, plus you can justify doing a CD release. These end up being vinyl only because the CDs would be extremely bare.

This is a missed opportunity to release a compilation of all songs from Signals performed live, since they played Losing It on R40 IMO.

I've said it before, but don't be surprised if this is a preview of what things will look like post-retirement for Maiden as well.
I hope that's the case. I'm not a big Rush fan, but I'd love some deluxe version of Maiden's albums like this. Anything extra would be welcome. Art, demos, live performances, multiple formats, anything really. I'd love it all!

Imagine this in 2025...a super deluxe 30 years since release birthday edition of The X Factor!

First disc: the album remixed and remastered
Disc 2: all b-sides from the singles
DVD: live footage from The X Factour

Booklet with more pics and liner notes.

I´d buy it for sure!

Back