Rush

Top 5 Rush Albums/Next Band

• Total voters
So, the discussion of Vapor Trails over in the "black sheep" thread got me thinking about the elusive HD remaster of the original Vapor Trails mix, and today I hunted that down. It was apparently released to HD download services in 2013 a little before Vapor Trails Remixed dropped, and many of those services flat-out replaced the HD remaster with an HD version of Remixed instead, but some of them continue to offer the original. The place I went to get my copy after a bunch of corroboration was 7digital.

For $17.50 I got non-DRM'd, 96KHz/24-bit FLAC files of Andy Van Dette's HD remaster of the original mix. This remaster increases the dynamic range slightly, and all of the clipping and crackling from the original CD pressing is gone as far as I can tell. There are parts that are still more compressed than they probably ought to be, but the objective blemishes appear to be gone while preserving the punch of the guitars and the emphasis on the high melody lines during the vocal harmonies, which were the two things that drove me nuts about Remixed.

I'll need to listen to this a few more times to be sure, but this certainly appears to be the definitive version of Vapor Trails to me, even after downsampling to 320kbps MP3.

EDIT: Yep, after multiple listens and some A/B-ing it’s pretty clear to me that this is the best version of the album. If you’re a fan of the original release, I think the HD remaster upgrade is worth it. I just wish I’d pursued it earlier…
I've been listen to the remix in the car for the last couple of days. Firstly, I really like the album. The remix sounds pretty good through my car stereo but I didn't like the mix as much on my home stereo. Strange...

I've been listen to the remix in the car for the last couple of days. Firstly, I really like the album. The remix sounds pretty good through my car stereo but I didn't like the mix as much on my home stereo. Strange...
Yeah, it would be interesting to have heard the remix first and then compare it to the original. There are things about the remix that I like, but the differences from the original, which I’m very familiar with, just make it harder for me to get into. That’s why the HD remaster of the original mix is the best version of the album to me.

First single of Alex Lifeson's Envy of None project:

I thought that he stopped playing the guitar due to the arthritis pain he was suffering in his hands. Fantastic news.

First single of Alex Lifeson's Envy of None project:

Pretty cool, though there's not a lot going on with the guitar here aside from atmospherics. Always nice to see established people expanding into different musical areas, though.

Thanks. I think I'd ordered this one too. I'm thinking to order the Hugh Some book: The Art of Rush, it's almost 50% cheaper now. It's an expensive book around 100 € and its close to 60€ now. :D

Thanks. I think I'd ordered this one too. I'm thinking to order the Hugh Some book: The Art of Rush, it's almost 50% cheaper now. It's an expensive book around 100 € and its close to 60€ now. :D
That's always cheaper than a Seventh Son POP Eddie :lol:

41xt+YZ7u7L.jpg

Talking about books , this is also a great one, I bought it in London during a school trip in the 90´s (together with Maiden´s Ross Halfin photographic history)

I’ve got it and it’s amazing kind of book very heavy weight with different quality papers inside and includes the latest remasters artworks ( not a fan of these ones but it’s good)
31 € ( an absolute bargain in amazon)

1657886560984.jpeg

The first time Geddy and Alex performed a Rush song on stage together since August 2015.

When I saw this, I got a bit emotional. Especially having read the Ghost Rider book knowing that Matt and Trey were two of the people that helped Neil to include himself in the society after the tragedies of late 90's.

P.S. Everybody is wanting Portnoy at the drums if they play again. I would rather have Tim "Herb" Alexander who is nailing the whole "A Farewell To Kings" record.

Last edited:
Yesterday I discovered Rush. I knew before for a long time that Rush existed, but never paid any attention. Man, they are superb. I checked out only one album yet, 2112, and I'm really curious what there will be to discover on all their other albums. I think they are much more interesting than Led Zeppelin, which I always loved and still love. But Rush seem to be even more creative and experimental.

Last edited:
Back