Queensryche & Geoff Tate

Well, I'd rather take a tatertot clone that sings WAY better than what tatertot currently sounds like and his voice is different enough from tatertot's to where you can tell a difference IMO. It has some of tatertot in it, but I also here quite a bit of originality in it as well. I personally love the fact that Todd sounds a lot like tatertot because it helps QR sound as close to their original sound as possible. Would you rather that tatertot had stayed with the band and another really shitty QR album come out? Also, I personally rank Redemption up their with the very best of QR's metal sound of the 80's and the band has stated many times in interviews that each song is going to have its own, unique sound so Redemption shouldn't be a song to judge what the rest of the album is going to sound like. Well, we'll just have to wait until we hear more from the album. I think we're in for something super amazing though! The only thing that sucks is that it's been announced that the new release date is June 25th! Oh well, we've waited this long so we can wait another 2 weeks.

Well sounding like Tate doesn't make the music sound better. Yea, Geoff was wrecking the band, but at some point the rest of the band needs to own up to their flaws as well.I think when the album comes out and it doesn't sound any better than anything they've done since Tribe, we will know that there were problems than just having Geoff Tate in the band. In my opinion, Queensryche is a spent force.

The full album cover art and track listing have been revealed.
queensrycheself.jpg

Oh look, it's the Queensryche name and logo. Who would have thought.

Please try not to have such a negative attitude about all this. This is like a new beginning for QR which they so badly needed. After everything tatertot put them through, I'm going to be as supportive as I can and wish them nothing but the very best. To think that the album isn't going to be any better than anything since Tribe is silly when you've only heard a few demo snippets and one new song.

See, people need to stop victimizing them. MAybe in the last few years it was Tate causing problems, but this band has been stale for years. I don't think changing one member is going to magically make them release Rage for Order again. And so far, the new song and snippets are supporting this thought.

Well, it was because of tatertot and him bringing in outside writers on the last few albums that caused their sound to go stale. And it's hard for me to agree with you on the new song and snippets because I'm hearing nothing but the classic metal sound that they had in the 80's while you're hearing something different, but we all have hear music differently and have our own opinions. Well, let's just see what the next song that is released is like as well as the full album.

See, people need to stop victimizing them. MAybe in the last few years it was Tate causing problems, but this band has been stale for years. I don't think changing one member is going to magically make them release Rage for Order again. And so far, the new song and snippets are supporting this thought.

Actually I would say that Tate has indeed been the problem this whole time, it seems. It seems that around or after the Promised Land time-frame, Tate became a bit of a diva and demanded everything be done the way he wanted it to be done, or else he would quit the band. DeGarmo left not long after this apparently started, and the other guys worked within Tate's vision for a few albums, until Tate just decided to shut them out of the songwriting process almost entirely around Operation: Mindcrime II and he failed to take care of his voice at all, so it was only a matter of time until the band kicked him out.

Will the new album be on par with Rage for Order? Maybe, but it's a different band now. This could be the opposite of what happened with Iron Maiden when Bruce and Adrian rejoined; by kicking Tate out, Queensryche may be able to actually release some quality material.

Also, I saw these guys live last month. I didn't see "a spent force" on the stage that night. I saw a band that was hungry and driven, as well as having a lot of chemistry together. This might not be a masterpiece, but I bet that if it isn't, the next one will be.

For me, Redemption and the snippets are already a masterpiece and right up there with Rage and Mindcrime. And another example with Maiden is this. Look at how much better X Factor was than the 2 albums that came before it. And that was without Bruce and Adrian, but having Steve still in the band helped a lot. Also, I love the message QR is sending by making the album self titled. They're saying that they are the one and only QR and are ready for a new beginning. I just know this is going to be one super amazing album! Well, for me at least.

An excellent point about The X Factor, Travis! Part of what made that album work so well, IMO, was the emotional stuff Steve was going through at the time. Generally speaking, channeling out emotional issues and frustrations have resulted in some of my favorite albums regardless of genre. My favorite Springsteen album is Darkness on the Edge of Town, for example. Based on the track-listing for Queensryche, it looks like the band's channeling out their frustrations and emotions with the past few years on this album, so it could indeed be great. I definitely think it'll be very good at the least.

I haven't listened QR with Torre live much, maybe they're good playing their old material. But since Redemption is the only proper release by the band so far, I'm going to judge them by it until they release more. Redemption is a generic pop metal song, not much of a change. Just without the funny (Wot We Do!).

Also, at least The X Factor didn't have a Bruce clone singing on it!

Vap, you shouldn't judge them based on Redemption. The band has stated quite a few times that it's a very varied album and the songs don't sound alike. They have said that it's going to feel like a mix of the EP through Promised Land. And while they said that Dedicated To Chaos was going to sound like a mix of Rage For Order and Empire which turned out not to be true at all, you have to remember that the main member who was responsible for the sound of that album is no longer in the band. ;)

I don't think it's fair to compare X Factor to this. The situation was much different; Steve (a main songwriter) was still in the band. Plus Janick had already proven that he could step up too, which he did. With QR, both main songwriters are out of the band, and the task is put on those who contributed little to nothing in the past 30 years. Not good.

I don't think it's fair to compare X Factor to this. The situation was much different; Steve (a main songwriter) was still in the band. Plus Janick had already proven that he could step up too, which he did. With QR, both main songwriters are out of the band, and the task is put on those who contributed little to nothing in the past 30 years. Not good.

Actually the main songwriters for the classic QR were DeGarmo, Wilton and Tate. Also should be noted that DeGarmo and Wilton were the ones who wrote the music, not Tate. He only wrote the lyrics and vocal melodies. That's certainly important, but don't portray him as being a larger songwriter than Wilton. Classic QR was a sum of its parts, not just any one person in particular.

And in regards to what Travis brought up about Scott's old comment on DTC; it's been pointed out that Scott may have said that prior to the actual recording of the album. The initial plan for the album was to return to the metal/hard rock roots and begin working on rebuilding the fan-base. If memory serves me right, they also had planned to bring back Neil Kernon to produce the album. However, Tate ended up rejecting all the demos and songs the band wrote and brought in the outside writers he'd been using since Operation: Mindcrime II.

It's not that the band hasn't tried to contribute anything to the band in so long; it's that Tate got progressively more and more controlling on what he thought Queensryche should sound like. First they had to write within his approved boundaries musically, then he kicked them out almost entirely songwriting-wise and just had them (sometimes) play parts other songwriters made. According to the band, the new album features songwriting material from the whole band, including Parker Lundgren, who has mentioned last year on Twitter that he wrote a "depressing yet epic song that sounds like a cross between Roads to Madness and Promised Land."

Also about Todd and whether or not he's a Tate clone... I initially got into Queensryche because I thought Geoff Tate was a Bruce Dickinson clone. Now, obviously that isn't the case, but still that's what I thought. However, I've since been able to distinguish voices pretty well for the most part. And quite frankly, Todd isn't at all a Tate clone. He's influenced by him, certainly, but I can tell the difference pretty clearly. Tate sang in a more 'clean' manner, whereas Todd is often more aggressive vocally. Todd's said it himself; he's also pretty influenced by Rob Halford, Bruce Dickinson and Chuck Billy. Also, Todd is a multi-instrumentalist and can actually contribute more musically to the band than Tate could.

There are a few moments here and there when Todd will actually sound exactly like tatertot, but for the most part, he does have his own, unique sound. If he sounds exactly like tatertot to you, you might want to have your ears checked. LOL

There are a few moments here and there when Todd will actually sound exactly like tatertot, but for the most part, he does have his own, unique sound. If he sounds exactly like tatertot to you, you might want to have your ears checked. LOL

I've done my research, and I can definitely confirm that Todd has a very wide vocal range. Whenever that solo album of his comes out, you'll see what I mean. But yeah, for anyone doubting Todd's songwriting prowess, I'd point them over to the demo recording of the first song Todd ever wrote and sang on; "The Welcome Experience" which he co-wrote with Matt LaPorte before he died.

It's only a demo and Todd's said he won't try to make another version without Matt, but Todd does a great job here vocally and writes some pretty awesome lyrics IMO. Certainly superior to what Tate's been writing lately.

Wow! He is such an amazing singer! And he's definitely got his own, unique vocal style. I can hear hints of tatertot, but just a little bit of that.

Redemption is a generic pop metal song, not much of a change.
Can you show me some pop metal songs that you think Redemption sounds like? Because it sure doesn't sound like pop metal to me.

Well, I think it's comparable to Cold by the 'evil' Queensryche, just heavier (which doesn't make it much better). I'm going to judge them by Redemption until I actually can listen to the other tracks, I don't care what the band says they are like.

Back