Queensryche & Geoff Tate

Well, I think it's comparable to Cold by the 'evil' Queensryche, just heavier (which doesn't make it much better). I'm going to judge them by Redemption until I actually can listen to the other tracks, I don't care what the band says they are like.

You're right, heavier doesn't necessarily mean it's better. However, I do think Redemption is a better song than Cold, and more importantly it's a song that actually sounds like Queensryche. Cold does not.

Also, a member over at the Breakdown Room was a part of the audience for filming the upcoming episode of That Metal Show with Queensryche guest starring. He reported that in-between filming sessions, the DJ played two different two minute song samples off the new QR album.

Here's what he reported:
The best part, however, was during recording breaks the DJ would play music and he played about 2 minutes of two other tracks from the new album. Whip, Ed and Parker were actually sitting right in front me me for a while and I spoke to Whip briefly (who was as nice and awesome as ever) who confirmed the first song played as SPORE. I didn't get to ask him what the second track was but I think it was FALLOUT based on the lyrics I heard ... "After the fall, after the fall."

As for the new tracks, they both had the "feel" of Redemption but sounded much more Mindcrime/Promised Land to me. The two minutes I heard, I loved way more than Redemption (which I really like). Very riffy, very Wilton. Spore was pretty heavy and stomping and the line that I recall was "Prisoner of War." The track that I believe was Fallout was much more Promised Land feeling. Kind of a dark vibe, with a slower section. Maybe the epic Parker track he spoke of. I really, really liked what I heard from these two songs. They sounded very deep and powerful to me.

Also, there's going to be a private release party for the album in LA tonight. So we'll probably get more reports on the album in the near future.

Aren't you judging GT's Queensryche based on one song? Or possibly even zero songs?

I can't speak for Travis, but I've heard Cold in its entirety and I've heard samples of the rest of the entire album and reviews from others indicate my first impressions on the samples to be spot-on: it's all a bunch of crap with some fleeting moments of potential that fail to be realized. The lyrics aren't all that great, Tate sounds like a dying seal and the production is awful. All F.U. was is a low-rate rushjob to stick it to the real Queensryche.

Update on what Travis mentioned earlier about the two members from the Breakdown Room attending the private party: One of 'em got in at the start and heard the whole album, the other (same guy that went to the filming of That Metal Show) got in right after the album finished playing and got to see the brief live performance where they debuted Redemption live.

Here's what the guy that was there for the whole show had to say. He mentioned at the forum that it was an edited e-mail he'd already sent to someone else.
Viper Room was cool....but SMALL!!! I think max capacity was about 175, but there were close to 300 people crammed in there! Scott & Todd hit the stage, thank everyone for coming out and supporting them...then announce they're going to spin the new CD, and then the band will come out and play a short set.

The CD....SWEET BABY FAWKEN JEEBUS!!!! I was friggen STUNNED listening to it. "Where Dreams Go To Die" is a KILLER song. NOT one of them will disappoint, in fact...this CD is going to really freak you out...it's THAT GOOD.

After the CD listening...I see Todd walking towards me, so I casually introduce myself, compliment him on the tour and how QR has been doing, and he asks me "So what did you think of the CD?" I told him, "I don't have words for it except that it's fucking awesome, and I was completely blown away by what I heard!" Super down to earth, humble, guy....complete class act. Shakes my hand one more time, and asks me my name. FUCK YEAH.

The band comes out, and I'm right up un stage....It was hot as hell in there with all the people there and all the stage lights...but it was awesome. Savoia was off to my right maybe a couple feet away...got a kick ass pic of me right in front of Whip....and apparently a lot of the pics he took, you'll see me in them he said! We were rockin the entire time. Todd even came out on stage and shook my hand too! The most kick ass part of the show is when they introduced "Redemption" as it being the very first time the song is being performed live! You could totally feel Ed's bass rumbling the freaken floors!!!! The guitars were tight (even though Parker blew his rig up....he plugged right into the amp and went fucking old-school (BAD ASS), Scott was typical Scott (drum MASTER) and Todd was pitch perfect and wailed like a siren!

After the show I finally ran into Frank (MTGraves) and we hung out & had a beer afterwards, and talked about this show & past shows...the new disc (which he didn't get inside in time to hear), and we went out back to get some air. That's when I saw Todd, talked with him for a bit, and then that's when you (SYL) got your phone call (you were so CUTE with your screaming! What did he say to you?) We saw the rest of the band come out, and we got pics with everyone except Scott...he kinda hurried into the car, and I didn't want to bother him...but everyone else was so totally friggen cool, talked to us, took pics & all that. We did see James Barton there too, but he looked as though he were busy, so I didn't want to interrupt. Talked to Parker for a few minutes....told him how amazing I thought "Where Dreams Go To Die" was...and he looked like he was really stoked by that, and then tell me that he's the one who wrote the music & lyrics to the song! It was cool in that there weren't very many people outside, so we had a real casual few minutes to talk to the guys about...whatever! The CD, touring, they remembered MTGraves from being in That Metal Show, and....it was almost too cool to be believable. Fozzy & I did the handshake/hug again, and that was it!

So yeah, it seems that Where Dreams Go To Die is that dark epic Parker wrote. Another report from someone else mentioned that Open Road is a great ending track like Anybody Listening.

I'm sure we'll hear more specific details from others in the near future.

The comments in this thread ("Real" QR, etc) have't changed since then however, it's basically been a giant bitchfest directed at Tate for quite a while.

Personally, not expecting anything amazing of the new stuff either.

I listened to tatertot's garbage once and that was enough for me!

I wish people would stop being so damn negative about the new album on here. You've only heard one song and and a few demo snippets.

I listened to tatertot's garbage once and that was enough for me!

I wish people would stop being so damn negative about the new album on here. You've only heard one song and and a few demo snippets.

To be fair, I totally see where they're coming from. Queensryche haven't put out a great album in a long time, the two most identifiable people in the classic line-up aren't present and it's not quite sure what all Todd and Parker will bring to the table as songwriters.

That said, I think this will be great.

True, but the main member who has been responsible for the crappy stuff they've released is no longer in the band either. Then again, Mindcrime 2 and American Soldier had some pretty decent stuff on them, but they weren't great albums from start to finish either.

I think everyone needs to calm down a bit here. The new album isn't out yet, it might be easier to have a civilized discussion once it's actually available for everyone. Until then, there really is no point in getting personal.

I have spoken.

True, but the main member who has been responsible for the crappy stuff they've released is no longer in the band either. Then again, Mindcrime 2 and American Soldier had some pretty decent stuff on them, but they weren't great albums from start to finish either.

I know that, hence why I feel rather confident this will be a good album. I'm only explaining why less informed people are so skeptical of the new album. If I were a casual fan or someone who only barely knew anything of what was going on, I'd be insanely skeptical too.

Someone in the media got a copy of the new album and put a bit of a review about it!
From: http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=4233.0
Hello guys and girls,

I follow the forum a lot and appreciate all the passion and love for the band that all of you share. Me included.

I just wanted to share some initial opinion of the new album. I just heard the promo and would like to share some thoughts after only one listening, because usually the first impression is always the most true.

First, I know that this is probably not the place to comment on that, but because there have been inevitable comparisons between the two albums - I really liked the new Geoff Tate - fronted album. Really. No joke. I think that it is on par with American Soldier and easily some of the best work till Promised Land.

So - let's get to the new "Queensryche" album and my first impressions. Soryy about not going into too much detail, but I haven't asked for persmission to make a long review yet:

1. The album is really short - 35 minutes, with and intro and a 55-long interlude in the middle of the album.
2. There are some instant classics like "Where Dreams Go To Die", "A World Without" and "Open Road". These are epic tracks and by "epic" I don't mean the track length, but the sound and the emotions they convey. Wonderful stuff, reminiscent of maybe something out of "Rage For Order"
3. There are some heavy, oldschool songs, with meaty riffs and uptempo, like "Vindication", "Spore" and "Fallout".
4. Scott is the star in this album. The drumming is absolutely stunning. Michael does some beautiful solos.

So, on a first listen, here is what I didn't like:

1. The production seems a little too compressed, with too many effects and layers used, which sometimes blur the second guitar and the bass. But I have to listed to the album a few more times and at a better stereo system to judge.

That's the album's only fault, haha!

You will love it guys. It is obvious what the buys and the producer have tried to achieve - to get the closest possible sound to "Rage" and keep close to this album's spirit, sound, production and overall attitude.
Even though it's only 35 minutes long, it's the quality of the songs that really counts. Some really amazing albums and songs have been quite short too.

I saw that earlier, but I'm on the road right now, so I couldn't copy and post everything over here. The guy also mentions he didn't care much for Redemption when he'd heard it when it first came out and said it was his least favorite on the album. He also said that the rest of the album is out of the box, progressive and mind-engaging like the classic QR stuff was.

Back