Official Tourdates Discussion Thread

Re: More tourdates to be announced on Halloween says IM.com

Forostar said:
IRON MAIDEN Confirms Paris Show - Nov. 19, 2007 

IRON MAIDEN will perform at the Ominisport De Bercy Arena in Paris, France on Tuesday, July 1, 2008 as part of their Somewhere Back In Time World Tour 2008.

What? Wasnt Stade the France availible that day? :D

Pffff...62 million people in France, 11 for the Grand Paris alone, and only one gig announced so far. I knew my country was never even close to being the land of milk & honey for R'n'R, but there...
Just hope it will sell out quickly cause promoter's plans were always based on a double night here in Bercy such as the band did back in '88 (only half filling the second night which - I hope- shouldn't be the case this time)
So on november the 30th, you know whay you gotta do! Simply rush to the nearest ticket retailer :)

London 5th July 2008 Only UK gig

Shamelessly cut and pasted from Official site:-

Iron Maiden confirm LONDON show
Published: November 20, 2007

Iron Maiden will be playing their first ever stadium show in the UK at  the Twickenham Rugby Stadium in London on Saturday 5th July 2008 as part of their Somewhere Back In Time World Tour 2008. Despite headlining major UK festivals like Reading and Donington many times and selling out stadiums around the World, the band have never before elected to play a stadium in the UK and intend to make this first time a very special occasion.
The 50,000 capacity celebrated home of English Rugby will be transformed into a Maiden mecca with fans travelling in from all parts of the country and further afield for this one and only UK show of 2008.

This will be a spectacular return to UK shores for both Iron Maiden and their fans. Maiden have consistently performed headline stadium shows outside the UK and "Maiden Mania" is currently gripping the world as tickets sales of the 2008 World tour fly out of the box offices in Australia, India, Japan, North and South America and now Europe with many shows selling out within only a few hours.

Steve Harris "It could be a bit of an understatement to say how excited we all are to be playing this show next summer. We've got hell of a tour planned visiting old and new fans all over the world but as always it's great to get home and play here in London especially at such a prestigious stadium as Twickenham. Fans who travel out to Europe for our stadium shows there have for a while been asking us to play one here as the audience in a stadium is much closer to the band than at a big festival and can see so much better. As some people will know I am a big football fan but have heard much about what a great stadium Twickenham is from our rugby mad manager!!  So l'm definitely looking forward to savouring that atmosphere We played a couple of  nights at Earls Court just before  Christmas at the end of our last album tour and you always get such a great feeling playing at home with all your friends and family there. It's going to a fantastic occasion."

A full supporting bill for Twickenham will be announced shortly

Tickets go on sale to the public on 30th November, but members of the Iron Maiden fan club will get special and exclusive first access to purchase tickets on November 28th.

I merged MaidenAustria's Portugal and Voda Wolph's London topics in here. There's no need to open a new thread for every announcement, especially if they are made in such short intervals.

Perun said:
I merged MaidenAustria's Portugal and Voda Wolph's London topics in here. There's no need to open a new thread for every announcement, especially if they are made in such short intervals.

Thanks Perun, wasn't sure whether to add it here or open it up in new topic

Come on Albie and other UK and nearby people,

Get those tickets, it's a chance of a lifetime!

:)

edit: good idea Perun, later we could make seperate topics of the shows for reviews and such.

VodaWolph said:
Thanks Perun, wasn't sure whether to add it here or open it up in new topic

same with me... I was wondereing where the topic was gone...
Thanks Perun - Hopefully we're gonna meet again somewhere on tour!
Aswell Real World - he tried to met me in Zurüch 06, but I was already on the way back to our car...

Forostar said:
Come on Albie and other UK and nearby people,
Seriously, that has shocked me - Maiden playing at HQ*. Wow!

I must admit, I was under the impression that only a certain amount of events can take place at Twickenham as it is right in the middle of a residential area. The England Rugby team is limited to, I seem to recall, something like 5 or 6 games a year and the 6 nations and the autumn internationals takes up all of them. Then we have the club cup finals as well - two of those, I think. And by looking at the stadiums site, it seems they can only do three concerts a year (info here). Still, enough of the waffling and as I have actually never been to Twickenham, I will endeavour to do so for this one. :D

*HQ is what people term as Twickenham - the home of Rugby.

Special event indeed! Next time Wembley (their farewell concert?). Only victory for all sides, and one big friendly match ;)

That sounds like one hell of a gig.

I guess there's more places to play in London than I thought! Marquee, Rainbow, Wembley, this Twickenham place...I need to go to London someday!  :D

London is a humongous city (not that much smaller than New York) and has a massive amount of venues for bands to play at. And don't forget Hammersmith* as well. :D

*Although it is not the same as what it was - something to do with a Canadian lager sponsoring it and making it a pop venue.

Oh my gosh!  :blush: Hammersmith?

Have you been to all those places Albie? I would bet you have  :)

Let's see:

Marquee - loads of times
Rainbow - yes
Wembley arena - a few times (only for Football at the Stadium)
Hammersmith - many times
(plus many more venues aside from the above)

Twickers - never.

What about Earl's Court?  :bigsmile:
Maidenaustria said:
Thanks Perun - Hopefully we're gonna meet again somewhere on tour!

Would be cool. Right now, I'm planning to go to Paris and Wacken, despite my wallet's sarcastic grin.

Since so many people are surprised about the selected venues, I'll also start suggesting a bit. IF Maiden will play in the Netherlands, would they have the guts to select a football arena, like they did in 1988 (Monsters of Rock, Tilburg)?

I can only think of a couple of (hard)rock/metal bands who did this over the last 20 years.

Candidates:

The Vitesse stadion in Arnhem, "Gelredome" -->
It was built in 1998, featuring a retractable roof as well as a convertible pitch that can be retracted when unused during concerts or other events held at the stadium. Its capacity is 32,500 spectators and 39.000 with concerts and the stadium has a climate control system. It was also one of the venues for the Euro 2000 tournament held in the Netherlands and Belgium. The stadium regularly hosts pop-concerts, e.g.: Janet Jackson (June 9,1998),U2, Britney Spears, Bruce Springsteen, Queen + Paul Rodgers, Rammstein, Coldplay, DJ Tiesto, Britney Spears, Madonna, Radiohead, Justin Timberlake, Paul McCartney, Metallica, Spice Girls (March 1998), Backstreet Boys, Pearl Jam (August 29th, 2006), Marco Borsato (Oct/Nov 2006), Roger Waters (May 2007), Shakira (March 2007)

The Feyenoord stadion in Rotterdam, "De Kuip" -->
Capacity at completion: 64,000. Maximum capacity: 69,000 (1949). Present day capacity: 51,177.
The stadium has hosted concerts since 1978. The first ones were Bob Dylan and Eric Clapton. Others who have played there include The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, U2, Michael Jackson, Madonna, David Bowie, Dido,Guns N' Roses, Genesis and Dire Straits. Since 1996 the stadium didn't host many concerts anymore, because of the competition of the Amsterdam ArenA. As of January 2007 the stadium can be found in 3D format on Google Earth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Earth

Seems I have to rule out this one. :/

The Ajax stadium, "Amsterdam Arena" -->
The Amsterdam ArenA is a stadium in Amsterdam, Netherlands. Initially, it was planned as the centrepiece of Amsterdam's bid for the 1992 Olympic Games. Amsterdam lost the bid to Barcelona and the plans for the stadium were altered to build a general sports and events arena instead. Today, the stadium is home to football club AFC Ajax. The stadium, which opened in 1996, is one of the first in the world to combine a retractable roof with a grass surface. Its all-seated capacity is 51,628. Despite frequent complaints about the acoustics of the Arena, concerts are often held here. Stars such as Tina Turner (3 times), Michael Jackson, George Michael, David Bowie, Bon Jovi, Eminem, Robbie Williams, Andre Hazes, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Justin Timberlake, The Rolling Stones, Céline Dion, Genesis, U2, Metallica, Madonna and The Police have played the venue over the years.

I indeed hear often complaints about bad sound. We'll see, perhaps it will be a festival again, outside, on good old grass! :)

Albie said:
And Earls Court - yes. :D

I think you may be able to see my head in this one.

You can definitely see my head -and those of two other people you might know- in this one.
Damn, what a great trip it was...

Back