Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Re: Official thread for Final Frontier discussion (Spoilers inside)

p4warrior said:
The first Maiden song I bought was The Trooper.  Guitars blew me away.  I immediately bought 3 or 4 tunes off AMOLAD on iTunes, and didn't care for them at all.  

It took me about a year and a half to start appreciating that album, and my fondness for it only grows with each spin even today.  I just don't understand how people can write off a whole record in 24 hours.

Listening to individual tracks rather than the record as a whole might have something to do with it.

rudolf1978 said:
I will listen to it during the next month,but i think i have listened to the album enough to make an opinion

It's normal not liking it at first, like I did with AMOLAD (except for DW, BTATS, OOTS and TROBB which I loved right away), but on further listenings, I discovered how amazing is The Pilgrim, The Legacy, These Colours Don't Run and Lord Of Light had been shorted would've been really fantastics tracks, but they're very good anyhow, and others are just very bad arranged like FTGGOG (one of Maiden's lesser songs, alongside TAATG, BYDTTS) and TLD.

Some negative comments about the album are just arrogant, cynical and proposital. Yours not, your impressions are of someone who's a real fan and is disappointed to not loving it as you were expecting. I can only hope the album reveals itself as a great experience as the listenings goes on and on.

Donner said:
Indeed, yet on the other hand it's not completely fair to say stuff like "best ever" either.  

Completely agree

I don't get why nobody - including hardcore Maiden fans - can't listen to an album and say "hey, this is a good album" in less than 24 hours.

LordMaiden said:
Listening to individual tracks rather than the record as a whole might have something to do with it.

It absolutely did have something to do with it.  Especially with AMOLAD - those are not singles, something I didn't understand about Maiden at the time.

Donner said:
Most of, and I'll preface this again by saying most of, AMOLAD's praise comes from folks who didn't care for it right away.  These albums aren't immediate, they require time to grow on you. 

See, I'm the opposite. AMOLAD beat me over the head with each track, and I instantly loved it. Same with DOD. DOD lessened quite a lot between 2003 and 2006, and a bit more since. AMOLAD is probably my 3rd favourite album still. This one…I just don't know where it will go yet. There's a thousand ways it could go. I still don't have opinions on some of the songs yet, like Starblind, Isle of Avalon, and The Man Who Would Be King.

Jeffmetal said:
Some negative comments about the album are just arrogant, cynical and proposital. Yours not, your impressions are of someone who are a real fan. I can only hope the album reveals itself as a great experience as the listenings goes on and on.

There's no such thing as a "real fan" compared to a "not real" fan. If you like any song Maiden's ever done, you're a fan…and people are allowed to dislike the new album. Plenty of people will, especially since it's a grower, unlike BNW or Powerslave or PoM. If you choose not to like the album…that's just fine, as long as people give it a fair shake…which seems to have happened in this case.

Those three songs have been through my head more than the others.

LooseCannon said:
There's no such thing as a "real fan" compared to a "not real" fan. If you like any song Maiden's ever done, you're a fan…and people are allowed to dislike the new album. Plenty of people will, especially since it's a grower, unlike BNW or Powerslave or PoM. If you choose not to like the album…that's just fine, as long as people give it a fair shake…which seems to have happened in this case.

You just contradicted yourself and basically, repeated what I wrote. And yes...! There are real fans, casual fans and posers.

Nevermind, though.

LordMaiden said:
What i think he means is with Maiden's distinctive sound, liking one track means you like that sound, hence the band.

You saw and are seeing that it's not true.

Yeah, I quickly thought about editing that. I'm just interpreting it anyway. I don't believe it.

I get what you're saying…I'm just trying to make sure that everyone realizes all opinions are welcome, as long as they have been honestly formed. It's not meant insultingly :)

LordMaiden said:
Yeah, I quickly thought about editing that. I'm just interpreting it anyway. I don't believe it.

I do catch your drift. :ok:

LordMaiden said:
What i think he means is with Maiden's distinctive sound, liking one track means you like that sound, hence the band.

I agree.  The point remains that arbitrarily drawing a line like "true fans must like X category of Maiden's material" is a fallacy.

LordMaiden said:
I don't get why nobody - including hardcore Maiden fans - can't listen to an album and say "hey, this is a good album" in less than 24 hours.

Do you mean can or can't?

I can listen to a new album and say within 24 hours if I find it good or not.

I still have to listen to the new Maiden album, but when I've done that I know within a short time if I find it good or not. I know my taste, and I can judge music on my own merits, with the framework of a band's legacy* in mind. Maiden is my favourite band, so this should be peanuts.

Still, rather than "good" or "not good" I think it's better to explain what you like about it and what not.

* Knowledge of the band's past is for me important, because I particularly dislike it when Maiden repeats itself. So a particular part can be played well, but at the same time it doesn't have to be great because it has been done before, either too much in the same song, either in a song from an older album.

Here's the fangroup in a nutshell:

1) Fans who piss up a rope when The Trooper isn't played live seventeen years after it was recorded.

2) Posers who flooded the boards to grab a copy but never stuck around to actually talk about it. They better buy the fucking CD.

3) Fans like me who loves new and old and will argue about albums until someone is blue in the face.

4) New fans who are interested in discovering everything Maiden. Hopefully, some of 2 translates into 4.

I still haven't listened to the album yet. I am going to wait for the release in one week. I just can't pass up that opportunity.

Forostar said:
Do you mean can or can't?

I can listen to a new album and say within 24 hours if I find it good or not.

I still have to listen to the album, but I know in a short time if I find it good or not. I know my taste, and I can judge music on my own merits, with the framework of a band's legacy in mind. Maiden is my favourite band, so this should be peanuts.

Still, rather then "good" or "not good" I think it's better to explain what you like about it and what not.

His wording confused me as well.

I can reject music I don't like pretty instantly.  I also can tell when I hear something special.  But there's a middle category of material that's deeper like (most of) Maiden's post-reunion stuff, that takes me longer to come up with a judgment on.  

Take The Legacy for instance.  I hated it at first.  The "long track" that was at the end of the album (thankfully, so I could easily skip it).  Then, one listen, the build up halfway through really caught my ear.  A few months later, the words "strange yellow gas" grabbed my attention and I pored over the lyrics, listening to the tune over and over.  Now it's one of my faves from the record.

Well, those are certainly divisions. All those people are fans…just, and I am speaking for myself and not the whole forum….people in 1 and 2 aren't fucking welcome here.

But there is group 5..people who love some albums and don't care for others, but still want to have polite discussions and talk about the group respectively, and can understand why some people like what they don't.

Back