Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Re: Official thread for Final Frontier discussion (Spoilers inside)

It becomes progressively better from start to finish. I'm not skipping anything except El Dorado and that's only because I've already heard it a million times.

I think the trick behind Wild Wind is the tounge-in-cheek feel of it. It's a sad story but Bruce's delivery along with everything else suggest Maiden is telling a story with a "wanna hear how moronic these people are" attitude. I dig it. I'm relieved that the album never becomes too dark. They were depressing enough on the X Factor and AMOLAD. This album is something special.

After 6 listenings,im very sad to say that i found the album strange and boring   :( :( :( :( :(     .Ive to say that this album has a lot of Dance of Death which is an album that I CANT stand.For the lovers of Dance of death this album is better than DOD,and you will enjoy it a lot.

since the reunion this is my rank

1.Brave New World  9/10
2.A matter of life and death 8/10
3.The final frontier 4/10
4.Dance of death 2/10.

Sorry and of course is my opinion,im a great fan of iron maiden and of course i will buy the album and go to the show no matter what i feel right now.As i always did.

Maybe I'm crazy....but I feel like this album makes BNW seem almost archaic. The band needed to expand. They have three guitarists. I like BNW alot but looking back, it was ridiculously polished.

rudolf1978 said:
After 6 listenings,im very sad to say that i found the album strange and boring   :( :( :( :( :(     .Ive to say that this album has a lot of Dance of Death which is an album that I CANT stand.For the lovers of Dance of death this album is better than DOD,and you will enjoy it a lot.

since the reunion this is my rank

1.Brave New World  9/10
2.A matter of life and death 8/10
3.The final frontier 4/10
4.Dance of death 2/10.

Sorry and of course is my opinion,im a great fan of iron maiden and of course i will buy the album and go to the show no matter what i feel right now.As i always did.

Don't know about you guys, but I can't possibly assign a Maiden album a ranking for at least a few months.  They always take time to show their strengths.  How can you give it a 4/10?  It's been leaked for one day.

p4warrior said:
Don't know about you guys, but I can't possibly assign a Maiden album a ranking for at least a few months.  They always take time to show their strengths.  How can you give it a 4/10?  It's been leaked for one day.

Its the rank right now for me......but i have the same feeling when i listened Dance of death.Its only my opinion,A LOT of fans FUCKING LOVE DANCE OF DEATH,i love brave new world.If you liked Dance of death, im pretty sure that you will enjoy this album.

rudolf1978 said:
Its the rank right now for me......but i have the same feeling when i listened Dance of death.Its only my opinion,A LOT of fans FUCKING LOVE DANCE OF DEATH,i love brave new world.If you liked Dance of death, im pretty sure that you will enjoy this album.

Yeah I'm not contesting your opinion or your right to have one... I just personally can't possibly rate a Maiden album for months (which is how long this record will be in my player lol!)

DoD is what started it. It was the lengthier (and more organic up until that point) songs that caught on. Dance, Pachendale...even No More Lies. I think that's when Maiden truly started expanding. We all know what they did on AMOLAD and here, it's as if they took everything from before and made this fat fucking sandwich that is not only delicious, but takes a long time to eat. This album is one of the best. I'm not changing my mind.

p4warrior said:
Yeah I'm not contesting your opinion or your right to have one... I just personally can't possibly rate a Maiden album for months (which is how long this record will be in my player lol!)

I went to sleep last night at 4am listening the album,and today i have a day off and spent most of day listening the album.Im not happy at all,i would die for enjoy each song,and sing it all day,but theres a strange vibe in the album like in dance of death ( FOR ME)
LordMaiden said:
DoD is what started it. It was the lengthier (and more organic up until that point) songs that caught on. Dance, Pachendale...even No More Lies. I think that's when Maiden truly started expanding. We all know what they did on AMOLAD and here, it's as if they took everything from before and made this fat fucking sandwich that is not only delicious, but takes a long time to eat. This album is one of the best. I'm not changing my mind.

Of course you MUST NOT change your mind.

For me the album has a sad atmospher or something like that that i dont like.A matter i love the album,was like watching a film!

LordMaiden said:
Maybe I'm crazy....but I feel like this album makes BNW seem almost archaic. The band needed to expand. They have three guitarists. I like BNW alot but looking back, it was ridiculously polished.

Very good point, yes it's true BNW seems archaic comparing to this one, as it's also true that was a giant of album.

LordMaiden said:
DoD is what started it.

Another very good point. And as LooseCanon noted, The Final Frontier has no Paschendale.

Maybe this will explain my opinion.Its all about feelings.Just that i had the same feeling.

I don't see how anyone can properly contextualize an album in less than 24 hours, I just don't.  Especially those of you who say Iron Maiden is your favorite band.

It's the downfall of having a favorite band sometimes.  You get so accustomed to the material that anything new sounds odd and out of place until you can wrap your head around it.

And Maiden isn't writing super catchy 5 minute songs these days for the most part, so investing time is crucial to getting something more than a surface level appreciation for their work.  

Why the need to rush and rank everything?  I guess it's another part of the instant gratification younger internet generation that I just don't understand.

It took me weeks to wrap my brain around AMOLAD and it sure seems like there's even more going on this time.  Cursory rankings with any sort of sincerity don't occur overnight, they just don't.

I'm still holding out, haven't heard anything but the first two songs.  Can't wait until next Tuesday.

Will-I-Am said:
Very good point, yes it's true BNW seems archaic comparing to this one, as it's also true that was a giant of album.

Part of that, I believe, has to do with expectations. We needed to be sure Maiden still had it after Virtual XI, not to mention Dickinson's re-entrance.

It worked out very, very well.

Donner said:
I don't see how anyone can properly contextualize an album in less than 24 hours, I just don't.  Especially those of you who say Iron Maiden is your favorite band.

It's the downfall of having a favorite band sometimes.  You get so accustomed to the material that anything new sounds odd and out of place until you can wrap your head around it.

And Maiden isn't writing super catchy 5 minute songs these days for the most part, so investing time is crucial to getting something more than a surface level appreciation for their work.  

Why the need to rush and rank everything?  I guess it's another part of the instant gratification younger internet generation that I just don't understand.

It took me weeks to wrap my brain around AMOLAD and it sure seems like there's even more going on this time.  Cursory rankings with any sort of sincerity don't occur overnight, they just don't.

I'm still holding out, haven't heard anything but the first two songs.  Can't wait until next Tuesday.

I loveda mmatter since the first listen.

Donner said:
I don't see how anyone can properly contextualize an album in less than 24 hours, I just don't.  

Dude, it took me three hours after first listening to it, to quickly put No Prayer back on the shelf. How many people here are going to tell me I was wrong?

LordMaiden said:
Dude, it took me three hours after first listening to it, to quickly put No Prayer back on the shelf. How many people here are going to tell me I was wrong?

I think you understand me.let me explain that right now im like a child in christmas expecting a big game,and then discoverer that i dont like it.

Maybe the secret is not expecting anything but to listen and - most importanty - to understand what's been recorded.

Donner said:

The first Maiden song I bought was The Trooper.  Guitars blew me away.  I immediately bought 3 or 4 tunes off AMOLAD on iTunes, and didn't care for them at all.  

It took me about a year and a half to start appreciating that album, and my fondness for it only grows with each spin even today.  I just don't understand how people can write off a whole record in 24 hours.

Jeffmetal said:
Maybe the secret is not expecting anything but to listen what's been recorded.

I will listen to it during the next month,but i think i have listened to the album enough to make an opinion

There's a bit somewhere that sounds straight out of VXI. And half the album sounds like SSOASS. I dunno…

And yes. Where The Wild Wind Blows is supposed to be the "apex", but it's really not. The other songs are too good. No Paschendale.

p4warrior said:
The first Maiden song I bought was The Trooper.  Guitars blew me away.  I immediately bought 3 or 4 tunes off AMOLAD on iTunes, and didn't care for them at all.  

It took me about a year and a half to start appreciating that album, and my fondness for it only grows with each spin even today.  I just don't understand how people can write off a whole record in 24 hours.

Indeed, yet on the other hand it's not completely fair to say stuff like "best ever" either.  
rudolf1978 said:
I will listen to it during the next month,but i think i have listened to the album enough to make an opinion

Well that has to be pretty disappointing then.  To wait 4 years for an album and have your mind made up, again, in less than 24 hours.

Most of, and I'll preface this again by saying most of, AMOLAD's praise comes from folks who didn't care for it right away.  These albums aren't immediate, they require time to grow on you. 

Back