Official Hockey discussion thread

A lot with Crawford will depend on how this year goes. But I tend to think he is either a starter or he is retired. In either case, I think he is with the Hawks all season (either playing or on IR/LTIR)

I know Columbus and Calgary have soutions in place, but what did Edmonton and Ottawa do?

I like Crawford and I'm going to miss him. I like him because he was the perfect team for Chicago. He was a back up during their first cup, but then won the other two as a starter. I NEVER saw him as a starter, but he was good enough. He was never great or flashy, but he was good enough and more importantly CONSISTENT. Niemi NEVER recaptured that magic on any other team, proving the players in front did most of the heavy lifting. But goes to show that that's all a contender needs, a goalie to do his job. For example Jordan Benignton. He stood on his head of St. Louis, but the question is, can he replicate that? Aside from Hasek, I haven't seen another goalie that can or has.

Crawford has good career stats for sure. I always liked him even though he plays for my rival team. If he doesn't get hurt he can still play as a starter in NHL imo.

I know Columbus and Calgary have soutions in place, but what did Edmonton and Ottawa do?

I like Crawford and I'm going to miss him. I like him because he was the perfect team for Chicago. He was a back up during their first cup, but then won the other two as a starter. I NEVER saw him as a starter, but he was good enough. He was never great or flashy, but he was good enough and more importantly CONSISTENT. Niemi NEVER recaptured that magic on any other team, proving the players in front did most of the heavy lifting. But goes to show that that's all a contender needs, a goalie to do his job. For example Jordan Benignton. He stood on his head of St. Louis, but the question is, can he replicate that? Aside from Hasek, I haven't seen another goalie that can or has.

I agree with all this, Crawford is/was great and putting a bad game, period, or goal behind him quickly and rarely let things spiral out of control. He made the saves he should make and made some really good to spectacular ones as well. I think knowing he was in goal, let the rest of the team take a few more chances/play their game. It helps that until the last few years he had some good blue liners and defensively responsible forwards in front of him for sure .. but I think any team would be thrilled to have him and the kind of career he has had. I just think with all the recent head injuries and his age (35), this next season might be it for him. We shall see ... but he will be missed, because the guy is just a rock on goal

Richter retired because of a concussion, Dipietro finally called it quits due to multiple health issues. Crawford should seriously consider it too, specially with a career few have had.

Last edited:
So I was bored and going through Gritty's twitter and I found this:

D6ETmxdXkAAiGOO.jpg:large

.. a trade of bad contacts and bad fits in Alberta. I like this better for the Oilers, but both teams clearly needed to move these guys. I think Neal has a better shot at contributing .. and my understanding is Lucic really cannot be bought out and has to be protected in the expansion draft (NMC), I think the Flames can count on that 3rd round pick

Lucic for Neal

The Oilers retained 12 and a half percent of Lucic’s $6 million annual salary (Calgary is paying Lucic $5.25 million, while Edmonton is paying Neal $5.75 million). The Flames will also get a third-round draft choice if Neal outscores Lucic by 10 or more goals next season.

Calgary gets a half million in cap space as well. Overall I like it, but if James Neal rediscovers how to score playing on the wing of any of McDavid, Draisaitl, or Nugent-Hopkins, it could have a lot of upside. Good trade by the Oilers.

Promising start to the season for a few teams and players. Neal already with 6 goals in like 4 games. I knew he'd bounce back, didn't think this quickly. Bruins doing well, too. Saw the game against Vegas and liked what I saw down the whole line up. Pittsburgh in yet another shit storm of injuries with malkin, rust, hornqvist, galchenyuck and one of their trades from Florida out with injuries. Let's see how it all looks come December. Teams have gone through meltdowns (mtl) or surges (pit, stl in Jan) around that time.

I did go to Prague and see the Hawks/Flyers game .. sloppy as hell and some not so great ice ... all that said, it was incredibly fun. Best seats I have ever had for an NHL game, 3 rows back right behind the left faceoff dot. Insane e seeing these guys close up. I have been that close for college, ECHL, Juniors, and even an old WHL game .. but man, these guys are on just a totally different level

DAMN! Season off with a bang! Oilers starting hot, McDavid being McDavid with 17 points in 7 games, Draisitl has 15 and Neal keeping pace with 12. Speaking of 12, Crosby has 12 and a 7 game point streak. The Penguins are NOT missing their 5 starters at all. Rust hasn't played at all which Dominic Simon has taken advantage of, but the real surprise has been their line 4 with a bunch of no names making a name for themselves. 5 wins, 4 game winning streak, 3 victories with 7 goals two of them back to back. Not to mention they handed Colorado their first loss of the season. Colorado, not to be outdone, still managed a point by not losing in regulation. I saw the game last night and it was everything I was hoping for. Felt like a playoff game. Not in physicality, but definitely in tempo.

How 'bout dem Devils? Definitely not the start they were looking for, poor peeps can't keep any lead, multigoal or otherwise. That's on their D and changes have to be made if they want to turn it around in time to make the playoffs. Sure anything can happen, but runs like those of the Pens in 16 and STL last year are still rarities, you have to give yourself chance, be in the bubble at least, not last in the field.

My Bruins are doing VERY well, but once again they are being carried by line 1... that HAS TO change. All in all I'm impressed with how things are going across the league.

A defenseman is leading the league in points! John Carlson is at the top with 20 points, holy crap! Isn't this the first time since Orr? I doubt it'll continue for long, specially with the way McDavid nnd Crosby are playing, not to mention thr bruins line 1, but still cool.

Back