Official Hockey discussion thread

So Boston is DESTROYING the league, Pasternak is the first player to hit 30 points in 15 games this year, Marchand is nipping at his heals with 28, Rask and Halak are playing very well and yet... I'm not happy. Their secondary scoring is next to nothing and even if they keep this up all year, regular season success doesn't translate into deep playoff runs, much less a Cup. I'm not content with season success, it's Cup or nothing, specially after being so close last year. So many teams want it and could very realistically get it. The Leafs, Islanders, Golden Knights, Flames, Capitals, Blues again, the Panthers and we can never count out the Penguins even if they are see-sawing. When they win they DOMINATE scoring 7 goals with ease, but then they lose. It's clsoe 2-1 or 3-2, so they still put up a fight, but they haven't strung enough wins together to earn a spot beyond a wild-card. In a month we'll know more as to how these teams stand.

I'd love to see that but I want a cup for Marleau just as much. San Jose sadly isn't looking very strong now.
If by "isn't looking very strong" you mean "look like utter garbage", then yes, I agree with you. One thing we've learned is that when a team's decline hits, it hits fast and hard these days.

Hey, I'm not the only one scratching my head. NO ONE knows why they're doing so poorly. A few pundits think they can still turn it around as long as it happens before the new year

They don't even need to turn it around before the new year. The Blues were dead last in January and ended up having a pretty decent year.

True, but those are anomalies. Edmonton reached the finals as an 8th seed and LA won as an 8th seed, hadn't happened before, nor has it happened since. 3 times teams have come back from a 3-0 series deficit. Not saying it's impossible, just very rare, the sooner they do it the better.

Obviously I did not watch him on a regular basis, but certainly an end of an era ... and you have to feel for the suit makers in the area

Definitely not the worst thing to be fired over. That being said, it's definitely time to go for that dinosaur.

Definitely not the worst thing to be fired over. That being said, it's definitely time to go for that dinosaur.
It's a pretty big history of bigoted, racist, and homophobic comments for the old man. Yes, it's time to move on. I still don't know how I feel.

So did Babcock... Until now. Let's see what happens.

In the meantime Fleury and Lundqvist rising in the all time wins, I feel they can both reach 500, but after that we'll see. I thought Quick would be up there too, but he's gone downhill quick, pun intended. Schneider got waived and sent to the minors and Malcolm Subban is yet to win this season. Murray has been shaky and Rask still needs a cup as a starter.

First Don Cherry, now Bill Peters is in hot water for comments he made... 10 YEARS ago. *Sigh* It blows my mind why an incidents supposedly this serious wasn't dealt with at the time. I mean someone insults me like that at work I immediately tell my boss' boss. The "He was young," excuse only goes so far. However, looks like it is legit, apparently got corroborated within HOURS. I was watching the Tim and Sid podcast and even the guest journalist not only saw him getting fired, but done in the NHL. Guess Calagary will be Babcock's next stop LOL. Now Peters wrote an apology to the GM... Really? Not the player, the fans... the GM? Ooook. Given his taking responsability for his actions may be he only saving grace, we shall see.

On a brighter note, two high scoring games. My Bruins DESTROYED Montreal 8-1 and the Pens had a more exciting rally of 8-6 against Vancouver with Malkin racking up 5 points. They got most of their injured players back, but Crosby still out recoverying from surgery. But let's face it, as exciting as Ovechkin, Malkin and Sid still are, the new power couple, er... dynamic duo, hehe, are McDavid and Draisaitl. Can you guys believe that there's rumors of Hall going BACK to edmonton as an option if an extention falls through with NJ? Sure it is ONE of like 5 more realistic scenarios, but that'd be weird. Sure the GM and Coach he had issues with are gone, but is that enough?

It blows my mind why an incidents supposedly this serious wasn't dealt with at the time.
Power dynamics. A head coach can control a player's career, and speaking out against them is hard. Also it came out that Peters hits players, which was corroborated by Rod Brind'Amour, the current coach of the Hurricanes.

Same reason why hazing is still a thing in many locker rooms, same reason why women don't report sexual harassment. It's all the same disease.

Power dynamics. A head coach can control a player's career, and speaking out against them is hard. Also it came out that Peters hits players, which was corroborated by Rod Brind'Amour, the current coach of the Hurricanes.

Same reason why hazing is still a thing in many locker rooms, same reason why women don't report sexual harassment. It's all the same disease.
That's the thing though, having a shitty coach is not like having a shitty husband, you can tell the GM. And this was 10 years ago, not 1940 or even 1980. Didn't the Burkes start If you can play you can play over a decade ago? Hockey is slightly more aware of race and LGBT than other leagues, which is why I'm so boggled.

Just remember the league backed Cheechoo when a player called him or his dad an alcoholic for being native American and they've banned fans and fined players for yelling racist crap at Simmons, Subban and Evander Kane.

Back