Official Hockey discussion thread

bearfan

Ancient Mariner
A lot with Crawford will depend on how this year goes. But I tend to think he is either a starter or he is retired. In either case, I think he is with the Hawks all season (either playing or on IR/LTIR)

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
I know Columbus and Calgary have soutions in place, but what did Edmonton and Ottawa do?

I like Crawford and I'm going to miss him. I like him because he was the perfect team for Chicago. He was a back up during their first cup, but then won the other two as a starter. I NEVER saw him as a starter, but he was good enough. He was never great or flashy, but he was good enough and more importantly CONSISTENT. Niemi NEVER recaptured that magic on any other team, proving the players in front did most of the heavy lifting. But goes to show that that's all a contender needs, a goalie to do his job. For example Jordan Benignton. He stood on his head of St. Louis, but the question is, can he replicate that? Aside from Hasek, I haven't seen another goalie that can or has.

KidInTheDark666

What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine too
Crawford has good career stats for sure. I always liked him even though he plays for my rival team. If he doesn't get hurt he can still play as a starter in NHL imo.

bearfan

Ancient Mariner
I know Columbus and Calgary have soutions in place, but what did Edmonton and Ottawa do?

I like Crawford and I'm going to miss him. I like him because he was the perfect team for Chicago. He was a back up during their first cup, but then won the other two as a starter. I NEVER saw him as a starter, but he was good enough. He was never great or flashy, but he was good enough and more importantly CONSISTENT. Niemi NEVER recaptured that magic on any other team, proving the players in front did most of the heavy lifting. But goes to show that that's all a contender needs, a goalie to do his job. For example Jordan Benignton. He stood on his head of St. Louis, but the question is, can he replicate that? Aside from Hasek, I haven't seen another goalie that can or has.

I agree with all this, Crawford is/was great and putting a bad game, period, or goal behind him quickly and rarely let things spiral out of control. He made the saves he should make and made some really good to spectacular ones as well. I think knowing he was in goal, let the rest of the team take a few more chances/play their game. It helps that until the last few years he had some good blue liners and defensively responsible forwards in front of him for sure .. but I think any team would be thrilled to have him and the kind of career he has had. I just think with all the recent head injuries and his age (35), this next season might be it for him. We shall see ... but he will be missed, because the guy is just a rock on goal

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
Richter retired because of a concussion, Dipietro finally called it quits due to multiple health issues. Crawford should seriously consider it too, specially with a career few have had.

Last edited:

bearfan

Ancient Mariner
.. a trade of bad contacts and bad fits in Alberta. I like this better for the Oilers, but both teams clearly needed to move these guys. I think Neal has a better shot at contributing .. and my understanding is Lucic really cannot be bought out and has to be protected in the expansion draft (NMC), I think the Flames can count on that 3rd round pick

Lucic for Neal

The Oilers retained 12 and a half percent of Lucic’s $6 million annual salary (Calgary is paying Lucic $5.25 million, while Edmonton is paying Neal $5.75 million). The Flames will also get a third-round draft choice if Neal outscores Lucic by 10 or more goals next season.

LooseCannon

Yorktown-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
Calgary gets a half million in cap space as well. Overall I like it, but if James Neal rediscovers how to score playing on the wing of any of McDavid, Draisaitl, or Nugent-Hopkins, it could have a lot of upside. Good trade by the Oilers.