Official Hockey discussion thread

I still think he did the right thing. He'll get a better contract in terms of value, because had he signed that contract then he'd be overpriced and if they wanted to trade him at some point in that term few teams would touch an underperforming, overpriced player.

They're a great team, but the playoffs demand a killer goalie or a great defense. I hope they have the latter because they don't have the former.

Calgary is doing great, but the playoffs are nothing like the 82 practice games before it. I'm rooting for them, but I just don't see them going to the final.

The Bruins DESTOROYED Columbus last night and Marchand became the 10th Bruin ever to have a 100 point campaign, fing sweet :) About time we win, we lost to non-playoff teams at a critical time, two games left to seal the deal!

The Pens are REALLY missing their injured players, especially their defensemen. Time is running out on them quick, two games left and haven't clinched, scary scenario.

Back to Columbus, they have to fight tooth and nail to keep that Wildcard spot. I'm confident they'll get in. I've actually been watching their games and rooting for them, because it would suck making all those moves for nothing. Can't this team just catch a break?

I lost my fantasy league on the last night because Alex Edler assisted on a shorty. FML.

Fuck Columbus, they're going to squeeze the Habs out :(

https://www.nhl.com/news/ovechkin-closes-in-on-eighth-rocket-richard-trophy/c-306415646

Just read this piece on how Ovi could actually break Gretzkey's record of most goals. He is "only" 237 goals away. The season isn't over yet, so he can still chip away at that. However. He is 33. He admits he'd have to stay healthy and he doesn't know what the future holds as far as how much longer he will/can play.

He currently has 658 in 14 seasons. That's an average of 47 a year. IF he keeps that pace he breaks it in 5 seasons, he'd be 38. Let's say he can't keep up that pace due to age, but he plays 'til his 40. In his remaining 7 seasons he'd have to score at least 33 a season. Doable for Ovie? Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm excited over this and will be glued to the rest of his career. He still has a horrid shooting percentage. Sorry, never getting over that.

If you're on The Athletic there's a good statistical analysis, but it will all depend on 1) how long Ovechkin can play and 2) how long he can score competitively. Obviously if he keeps plugging in 50 a season he's there in 5 years. But that's unlikely, so we'll have to see. I think he does it though.

What's crazy is if you adjust for era, he's already the best goal scorer of all time. Imagine if instead of Jari Kurri on the 1980s Oilers, it was Alex Ovechkin that played on Gretzky's wing.

He has to score 47 each and every of his 34, 35, 36, 37, and 38 year old seasons to even get close. Extend it until his 40-year old season and he needs 34/year.

It will be exciting, but it ain't gonna happen.

We'll have to see. Every season he pots more than 47 he buys some future time on the race. He's guaranteed to get to 700, and almost certainly 800. It's the last hundred or so that will be hard.

Depends on your measuring stick. I think Jagr is a great example. Another strong, high-scoring winger. He saw a deep drop in goal scoring in his latter years, but he played past 40 and currently sits 3rd on the list.

Crosby is about Ovie's age and consistently nets 30+ goals a season. In other words, I think Ovie can consistently score AT LEAST 35 a season until his 40.

Howe NEVER had a 50 goal season. Came close twice (47 and 49), but had several 30 goal seasons with A LOT of 25+ seasons. He also played until he was hella old. I wonder how many more he would've had had he stayed in the NHL instead of going to the WHL to play with his kids. Had the NHL not absorbed the Whalers when the WHL folded, Howe would NOT be in the 800 club. Those 15 goals his last season is what put him over the top.

So just like at the beginning of his career, a lot of speculation of what is to come at the end of it.

McDavid and Mathews are already proving they'll be gunning for a lot of records themselves. Laine seems to be suffering from European player sophomore slumps. GET IN SHAPE!

My predictions of who'd be in and who'd be out were right. We'll by the end of today if my predictions about how they place were right too. PLAYOOOOOFFFFFSSSSS!

PLAYOOOOFFFFSSSS!!!!!

I was right as far as who got in and who was left out, though ROW was a more telling stat than goal differential as far as seeding went. I was spot on with the individual point leaders and their PPG stat.

Congrats to Ovie for leading the league in goals for a record breaking 8th time and another 50 goal season.
Congrats to Sid for his 6th 100 point campaign!
Why is NOONE talking about the AMAZING season Patrick Kane had? 110 points at 30? His highest EVER and second 100+ season since 106 in 2016?
Congrats to McDavid for his third 100+ season in a row. He is only getting better. Had it not been for his season ending clavicle injury his rookie year, I'm sure it'd be his 4th. At any rate, he has plenty of time to set and maybe break a few records. Gretzkey (15), Lemieux (10), Bossy (7), Brett Hull (7) and Crosby (6), are the guys to beat. He hurt his leg in the last game of the season, but seems to be nothing serious. If healthy I see him matching Lemieux.

Queneville to the Panthers!

Desjardins not coming back as L.A coach, Housely also fired and of course Bob Boughner.

Looks like the Panthers will make the playoffs next season. Queneville isn't the 2nd winningest coach in history AND he has 3 cups to boot. Definitely a team to watch next season.

Nobody's talking about Kane because 1) Not McDavid, 2) Chicago didn't make the playoffs.

And yeah, Quenneville to the Panthers. With their expected additions of Panarin and Bobrovsky, that puts them in a really really strong position.

Nobody's talking about Kane because 1) Not McDavid, 2) Chicago didn't make the playoffs.

And yeah, Quenneville to the Panthers. With their expected additions of Panarin and Bobrovsky, that puts them in a really really strong position.

Wait... WHAT? of ALL the teams they can go to, why is FLORIDA the top destination for BOTH players? I can see Bobrovksky going as Luongo will likely retire or become a back-up, but Panarin? To play with Barkov?

Back