Official Hockey discussion thread

That series was amazing, I hope they go deep. Told you guys Tampa wouldn't win the cup, didn't know it'd be cbj to eliminate them, much less sweep them.

Avs take a 3-1 lead in the series, and once again put on more than 50 shots on net.

Goaltending is not the issue for the Flames anymore, Mike Smith has a 93.1 save percentage in these 4 games.

Last edited:
Mike Smith has a 93.1 save percentage in these 4 games.
I'd be really interested to see what the shot quality metrics say about this. If Smith is getting just a ton of easy shots, then it makes sense; if he is actually reducing the Avs expected goals, then yes, he is doing well.

AKA, I have become an advanced stats believer.

I'd be really interested to see what the shot quality metrics say about this. If Smith is getting just a ton of easy shots, then it makes sense; if he is actually reducing the Avs expected goals, then yes, he is doing well.

AKA, I have become an advanced stats believer.

So you're all about possession, corsi scores and the like? I'm getting into all of that, but don't fully understand it just yet.

I think the advanced stats are interesting and can give some new insights into players ... the traditional stats (+/- being a great example) obviously have flaws.

However, I think there is a ways to go before the advanced stats become rock solid. I think they are there in baseball, but nowhere near in other sports ... just by nature of the sports, baseball is pretty linear, hockey is not ... and isolating stats down to a single player when there are 11 other players on the ice doing something non-linear is tough to do.

I think they have value, but I do not have as much faith in them as in baseball.

So Steve Yzerman is back with the Red Wings. He'll be their new GM. Considering what he did in Tampa this is the biggest news since FLA's new coach. I say this because no one cared that Philly hired Alan V. as their new coach.

Another upset. This post-season has been incredible. Sad the Flames are out, but I mean, come on.

People in Philly cared that Alain Vigenault was hired, let me assure you. He's a good coach with a reputation for turning things around quickly.

Hope the Bruins can pull it together, push it to seven.

I'm happy for Philly, Vigenault is a great coach, did wonders in VAN and NYR.

Until those teams got old and fell apart. Not much to say there, it happens. I don't know how to feel. As a good Habs fan I hate both the Leafs and the Bruins. It looks like almost all my favourite teams will be out assuming that the Preds can't gut it out, so I will probably be pulling for the Blue Jackets.

If the Leafs-Bruins series goes to 7, Leafs fans will be pissing themselves in fear. That alone makes it worthwhile.

Leafs played two decent periods last night, then rolled over and died. Sad on the Knights, though. That 5 minute major...wow. You could see the fury on the Sharks players faces. Thornton: "You got five minutes, you score three fucking goals." They scored 4.

More finalists for more individual hardware announced. I'm particularly miffed on two of them with the same player.

When is Crosby going to get some Selke love? When he's 38 and still playing a 200-foot game? And why is he even in the running for the Hart? I'm going to guess it is due to something LC said about why no one is talking about Patrick Kane's beast of a season. The Pens made the playoffs and Chicago didn't. Still, Crosby ended 6th in points, well, tied for 5th with Marchand. I think Kane deserved the nod, hell Marchand and Mackinnon deserve it more. All the other stats cited as "achievements," Crosby is tied for 10th, ended up 15th, etc. In a league of 900+ players, that's still good, but not Hart Trophy good.

This is kinda pointless because we all know Kucherov is a shoe-in for it, but still. Needed to vent. Done.

Crosby got the nod because his possession numbers were off the chart, as was his Corsi. He is a better player than Patrick Kane, and probably better than MacKinnon. I'd go so far as to say he is a better player than Kucherov, too.

Of course he's a better player than all those clowns! Alls I'm sayin' is, not this season. Yes, he had his first 100 point season in a while, like 5-6 years, but in all honesty he could've had a better season statistically. And again, due to his possession and corsi and the traditional stats... When are they going to give him the fucking Selke!?

Sometimes I wonder the merit of these awards outside of the Art Ross and Rocket, because they tend to give it to the player with the stats, not necessarily the skills. For example:

Bourque, Coffey and Lidstrom are the finalists. I'm a Bruins fan so I'm going to say that Bourque is the best out of the three, BUT Coffey has a better season points wise and even if Lidstrom had a better plus/minus than both, they give the Norris to Coffey for leading all defensemen with ooooh... 103 points to Bourque's 99 and Lidstrom's 86.

Islanders for wrecked, I mean, swept. Decisive game 5 for Bs and cbj. I'm hoping the blues can squeak out a miracle and win it in 7. Also hoping Colorado can hold on to win the series.

BRUIIIIIINNNNNSSSSS!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHH!!!!!

I'm starting to believe they can make the finals and even win the cup again.

Time for Columbus to decide on its UFAs. Their GM is a no nonsense SOB. He said, "I don't have to convince anybody to be here, we have a good team a winning team, whoever wants to be here will stay and those who don't want to be here well, good luck." DAAAAAAAM!

In the post game interview Bobrovsky spoke in the past tense about his time in CBJ and said he had to talk to "his people" and see his options. If he and Panarin go to FLA that would be beast. Luongo is old and IF he returns he knows it will be as a back-up. Bob would be the #1.

The Worlds are coming up and some of the rosters are... interesting. Canada DEFINITELY went younger. Crosby isn't going. Sweden has a nice mix of Veterans and young guns while Russia is bringing Kovalchuk, Malkin and Ovi. It's not like they're short on talent. Sweden for another gold? I think so.

Anybody know a website that will be streaming the games? I don't think my NHL app is the same as the NHL network who will televise it in the U.S.

Team USA is really good. Team Sweden is not. Lundqvist is their guaranteed starter, but they have nobody else of note. They have one possible line. Canada and the USA each have 2 lines.

Back