Official Hockey discussion thread

Top 2 goalie of all time with Hasek.
20130523__20130524_B5_SP24HKNROYTIMEp2.jpg

patrick+roy+cup+edit.jpg

cut.jpg

20140315__20140316_CC1_SP16HKNROYCHARTp1-1.jpg

Last edited:
I know! Stone to Vegas was big. Pittsburgh was forced to trade for a defensemen and got rid of Tanner Pearson. I have mixed feelings about that one, because Pearson was adequate in his role, but it was a trade of necessity due to how thin their back end is.

Boston got a winger, so that should be good.

OTT though, they stocked up on picks for the next two drafts, hopefully they rebuild appropriately. From the looks of it the next two drafts they'll be picking practically every other pick for the first two rounds.

So I actually wouldn't be very optimistic if I was OTT. Most of the picks are actually for 2020. Here is Dan Rosen's take on it:

31. Ottawa Senators (22-35-5, 49 points)
Reason for optimism:
Their rebuild went into full effect in the past four days. Their total haul in the three trades involving Duchene, Dzingel and Stone includes prospects Erik Brannstrom, Vitaly Abramov and Jonathan Davidsson, NHL forwards Anthony Duclair and Oscar Lindberg, a first-round pick in the 2019 or 2020 draft, a conditional first-round pick in 2020 (if Duchene re-signs with Columbus), two second-round picks in 2020 and a second-round pick in the 2021 draft.

Reason for concern: They couldn't convince Duchene, Stone or Dzingel to re-sign with them. Worse yet, they have to give the Avalanche their first-round pick in the 2019 draft, which could be the No. 1 selection, as part of the trade that saw them acquire Duchene last season.

Full Analysis of every team: https://www.nhl.com/news/how-each-team-fared-at-nhl-trade-deadline/c-305243854

It doesn't really matter for Ottawa. Their 1st round pick for 2019, practically guaranteed to be a top 4 pick, is with Colorado. Living in Ottawa, I can tell you that the mood in the city is brutal right now. For the first time people have completely lost faith in the team's ownership. I wouldn't be surprised if the attendance for Ottawa next year is below 10,000 per game, it's that bad. This is the third premature rebuild in team history; people are tired of it and they want a contender, now.

Exactly! No good pick in the upcoming draft, so there is nothing to look forward to in 2019. You've traded all of your best players in the past two seasons (Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman, Duchene, Dzingal) I know I got some of the spellings wrong, but all of them, gone. Therefore ZERO bargaining chips for the next trade deadline/offseason. 2020 may be too far away for many.

OTT fires Guy Boucher... like... why? they're already last in the league with like 20 games left. They seriously couldn't wait until the end of the season? Can you really blame the coach when they've done this:

The Senators have traded their top five scorers from last season, including centers Matt Duchene (on Feb. 22) and Ryan Dzingel (on Feb. 23) to the Columbus Blue Jackets in separate trades, and forward Mark Stone to the Vegas Golden Knights prior to the NHL Trade Deadline on Monday. Forward Mike Hoffmanwas traded June 19 to the San Jose Sharks, who then traded him to the Florida Panthers the same day, and defenseman Erik Karlsson was traded to the Sharks on Sept. 13.

The players hate Boucher, so why not? At this point Ottawa has got nothing to play for, not even honour. This lets them evaluate Marc Crawford as a possible replacement.

Keep in mind that Ottawa will want to pay the least amount possible on a coach. They interviewed Bruce Boudreau and then refused to hire him because he wanted too much money. Crawford is already under contract.

True, but I'd venture to say that kind of pedigree and staying power (he IS still coaching even if as an assistant-turned-interim) shows he may have the chops to guide them through a successful rebuild.

It's possible, but we'll see. Melnyk doesn't actually care about the rebuild. He cares about conning fans in the gate at Canadian Tire Centre.

I LOVE IT when I'm right lol. I'll admit it may be too soon to call it, but just looking at PPG output by player I predicted Crosby would end up in the top 5. He currently sits tied at 4th, techinically in 5th, with Johnny Gardeau with 83 points. with 18 games left it is very possible he'll crack the 30 goal mark again and AT LEAST 89 points. He may even crack 90 points for the first time in 5 seasons.

As for the teams I wasn't entirely right. I was right about the goal differential being a good indicator as who will be the in and out crowd, but I wasn't expecting Carolina going on a tear. Based on current goals for differentials Columbus should claw its way in leaving MTL out.

Boston is on a 16 game point streak, yet somehow is WAY behind Tampa and ONLY 3 points ahead of Toronto, crazy.

Tampa is historically good, easily having the best season of any team in the salary cap era, and getting close to threatening for the best season, points-wise, in NHL history. Carolina's put on a real push, and I say good for those bunch of jerks.

Crosby will heat up by the end of the season. It's like saying the sun will rise. I wish he had chosen a different team to heat up against, mind you....

Back