Official Hockey discussion thread

Tampa Bay vs Nashville, Winnipeg or San Jose in the finals?

Would love to have the Flames in the finals, but their goaltending won't allow them to go deep, unless Mike Smith turns into his 2011/2012 self over a night...

It's been a while since the number one seed actually wins the Cup or the Presidents Trophy Winner. While Tampa is the favorite, it is still unlikely they'll reach the finals or win it all.... we'll see. I think the last time we saw the #1 in the East face off the #1 in the west was Col v. NJ back in 2001 or so.

Many of the number of the number one seeds were a bit unlycky though...as an example the 2002/2003 Senators fell one goal short against New Jersey in the Conference Finals. It feels like the 2011 Caps could have made it as well if they had not blown a 3-1 lead in the first round again Montreal (Jaroslav Halak totally stole the last 3 games).

Halak has that capacity. So does Carey Price, which is why Montreal has the best puncher's chance at the Cup, if they make the playoffs.\

I feel like the Lightning will get upset. I'm kinda pullin' for Nashville or the Jets.

Many of the number of the number one seeds were a bit unlycky though...as an example the 2002/2003 Senators fell one goal short against New Jersey in the Conference Finals. It feels like the 2011 Caps could have made it as well if they had not blown a 3-1 lead in the first round again Montreal (Jaroslav Halak totally stole the last 3 games).

Agreed, Vancouver v. Boston in 2011 as well. 1 goal games, a few OTs, a game 7.... Man that was stressful lol.

Halak has that capacity. So does Carey Price, which is why Montreal has the best puncher's chance at the Cup, if they make the playoffs.\

I feel like the Lightning will get upset. I'm kinda pullin' for Nashville or the Jets.

Halak is doing a great job splitting the net with Rask, He's playing like the Halak I remember. They are both pretty high in GAA and SV%.

I like the Jets as well, Nashville has been due for a while. Very strong team for like 18 years or so. As much as I want Vegas to do it again, I doubt they will, yet they'll be a contender for a while.

A few things going on this week:

First and most important "Terrible" Ted Lindsey died. A Red Wing icon.

Sidney Crosby had a 3 point game after having a 4 point game to not only place himself in 4th overall in points with 86, but he reached his 1,200 career point. oh reached at least 30 goals again too.

Ovechkin hit 45 goals, pretty certain he'll reach 50 for the 8th time to break Bobby Hulls record.

D15vv2TUkAAudFU.jpg:large

The Hawks are playing the Flyers in Prague on October 4th next year .. think we are going. 2 days before my birthday, so birthday trip .... we were in the area before and only had about 8 hours in Prague, would like to see more of it .. and hockey as a nice bonus :)

Edit .. next season, not next year. In any case, tickets on sale next week, buying 2 :)

Last edited:
Soon 10 years ago :
First playoff win for the Blackhawks in the Kane/Toews era, and what would become the last playoff series for the Flames with Iginla, Kiprusoff, Regehr, Phaneuf etc.

Wow,

Some thoughts: Kucherov is the first player to reach 120 points since Crosby did in ´07... 12 years!

Tampa Bay can possibly tie and break Detroit's record of most wins in a season. Only MTL of the 70s and Det in 96 have more wins in season. While MTL did win win the Cup in those years, Detroit DIDN'T win in 96, their record setting year, they repeated in the coming two, non-record setting years. Also, I think the last time a President's Trophy winner won was the Avs in 2001.

Pasternak was out 16 games with a broken thumb. He was on pace to a 40-something goal season. He still leads the Bs. Oddly, the Pens have struggled all season and I was never worried, until now. With the Bs I was worried all season since outside of their line 1 they had little going on and well... they've been a force to be reckoned with.

The Oilers are such a dumpster fire

Comments from the Oilers CEO, beyond being classless, really does not give them much leverage going forward. He later apologized, but still wow!

"Toby Rieder will not be signed by the Edmonton Oilers at the end of this year," Nicholson said. "Toby Rieder was a player that other teams wanted. He came here for one year because he wanted to play with Leon Draisaitl, who he plays with on the German national team. He thought if he wasn't playing with Leon he'd be playing with Connor [McDavid], he'd score 15-16 goals, and instead of making $2 million he'd sign a four-year deal at three-and-a-half million [dollars per season]."

"Toby Rieder hasn't scored a goal [this year]," Nicholson said. "Toby Rieder has missed so many breakaways. If Toby Rieder would have scored 10 or 12 goals, we'd probably be in the playoffs."

I can't believe Bob Nicholson said that. This is a guy who ran Hockey Canada for years, one of the classiest organizations in the game. I get it, Rieder won't be resigned, but he just absolutely buried the kid.

I can't believe Bob Nicholson said that. This is a guy who ran Hockey Canada for years, one of the classiest organizations in the game. I get it, Rieder won't be resigned, but he just absolutely buried the kid.
It is just weird how many times he said his full name in a few sentences. Kinda creepy almost

Speaking of signings/not re-signing. William Karlsson had a good year. Sure it was 43 goals worth, but he currently has 22 and in the last 10 games has 12 points. considering his high prior to last season was 8, I'm sure Vegas will sign him again.

Yeah, but he should have signed long term last year. He bet on himself repeating that 40+ goal performance and it didn't happen.

Yeah, but he should have signed long term last year. He bet on himself repeating that 40+ goal performance and it didn't happen.

Was it him, or the team that chose a 1 year? Either way, I'd call this season a success for him. He isn't Laine, Ovechkin or Mathews. Never was. Again, he's a player that never had more than 15 points in a season, then he explodes for one. He had already been in the league for 6 or so. Even though he didn't repeat I think his chances of signing long term are good, probably less money, but still good.

Back