Official Football Thread

Between Jack Grealish being announced for Manchester City and Barcelona announcing that Messi is leaving them, I don't think I've witnessed such a crazy hour in football

Messi will be playing as number 30. I remember when the MSN attack formation was feared, but MNN could be more terrifying.

By the way - is there anyone who would be up to play in a closed Fantasy Premier League for MaidenFans forum? I have created a Fantasy League here: https://fantasy.premierleague.com/leagues/auto-join/h05oe0

There is no deadline to join this, but be aware that you'll have whatever the opposite of a head start is the later into the league you wait to join.

Messi will be playing as number 30. I remember when the MSN attack formation was feared, but MNN could be more terrifying.

By the way - is there anyone who would be up to play in a closed Fantasy Premier League for MaidenFans forum? I have created a Fantasy League here: https://fantasy.premierleague.com/leagues/auto-join/h05oe0

There is no deadline to join this, but be aware that you'll have whatever the opposite of a head start is the later into the league you wait to join.
PSG will have defensive problems with that attack IMO. Messi's defensive workrate is basically 0 in the last few years and Neymar is an entitled guy. So everything depends on midfield. Add to that that nor Messi nor Neymar are in their prime. We shall see...

I have the Bundesliga game (Dortmund vs Hoffenheim) on. I wonder, is that the quickest yellow card of the season? Christoph Baumgartner elbows Axel Witsel in the face in the first aerial duel of the game and gets booked before 30 seconds have been played.

Edit: And another player booked before the 7 minute mark, could've been a red - and na third one should've just been given. This game is not a friendly, that's for sure.

Last edited:
France VS Belgium tonight for a place in the final of the Nations League. Go Red Devils! revanche pour la coupe du monde!
Good thing we're on the right side of the curse! :D
Honestly, it was 50/50 (one half time for each team) and it was a close shave with Lukaku's refused goal. It wouldn't have been a hold up. However, Hernandez's goal was particularly intelligent, given what he can do as an attacker.

Champions League:

Ajax (number 1 in the Netherlands) vs Borussia Dortmund (number 1 in Germany):

4 - 0 !
My fave team from the Bundesliga gets destroyed. Wonderful:rolleyes: Can't even watch Champions League games here in the US unless I am willing to pay $33 a month for Fubo TV. Two years ago it was on TBS. CBS Sports Network carries select games. Ugh. Oh well. At least I have the EPL...for now on NBCSN. COYS!

No. :--)

Feyenoord. But internationally I'm for every Dutch club.

I can't imagine many Feyenoord fans are as patriotic as you when Ajax are playing:lol:

I've a dutch mate, living in Dublin 20 years, and he supports Ajax, he wouldn't have the same patriotism as you, although maybe Feyenoord playing "krauts" might be a different story:lol:

I can't imagine many Feyenoord fans are as patriotic as you when Ajax are playing:lol:

I've a dutch mate, living in Dublin 20 years, and he supports Ajax, he wouldn't have the same patriotism as you, although maybe Feyenoord playing "krauts" might be a different story:lol:
A good old friend of mine is also for Feyenoord but hates Ajax as hell. So we're different in that aspect. He also hopes Ajax loses every international match.

Can somebody please tell me how a group of footballers can go from losing 0-5 at home to their arch rivals - who aren't in greater form than that they drew 2-2 with fucking Brighton today - to being 3-0 up against a decent opponent and cruising towards a win only six days later?

I find it hard to believe that it all comes down to having the wrong tactical approach to the first match, although that surely did happen. Is this team so mentally fragile that going 1-0 down to good opposition makes them lose all faith in themselves and their manager and stop performing altogether?

I remember how Man Utd, after the 1-6 defeat against Mansour Al-City, had a solid run of matches, and I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar now, but the average performance of this Man Utd team this season is far below what one should expect with the quality of the squad. Besides City, Liverpool and Chelsea, none should come close. Instead we've witnessed weak games against West Ham, Everton and Leicester, some dreadful performances in the Champions League and in general, a dependency on individual moments of brilliancy that makes the team very vulnerable.

I am pleased with the performance against Spurs tonight, of course I am, but why is the average level so far below this?

Can somebody please tell me how a group of footballers can go from losing 0-5 at home to their arch rivals - who aren't in greater form than that they drew 2-2 with fucking Brighton today - to being 3-0 up against a decent opponent and cruising towards a win only six days later?

I find it hard to believe that it all comes down to having the wrong tactical approach to the first match, although that surely did happen. Is this team so mentally fragile that going 1-0 down to good opposition makes them lose all faith in themselves and their manager and stop performing altogether?

I remember how Man Utd, after the 1-6 defeat against Mansour Al-City, had a solid run of matches, and I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar now, but the average performance of this Man Utd team this season is far below what one should expect with the quality of the squad. Besides City, Liverpool and Chelsea, none should come close. Instead we've witnessed weak games against West Ham, Everton and Leicester, some dreadful performances in the Champions League and in general, a dependency on individual moments of brilliancy that makes the team very vulnerable.

I am pleased with the performance against Spurs tonight, of course I am, but why is the average level so far below this?
I'm a Spurs fan. Do you want to change places?:) If you think your team's performance as of late has been sub par look at mine. Ugh:rolleyes:
And yes, I did watch ManU and Liverpool last week and was surprised by the result. Same goes for the Liverpool/BHA match. Once Liverpool went up 2-0, I thought it was over. Should've known better for this is the EPL.

Last edited:
Back