Official Football Thread

Being a Palace fan is a pretty odd experience and our win yesterday counts as one of those.
That was a good win for you guys. Tottenham is in disarray right now. Oh well. Who's to blame? I'm not sure. Perhaps the following BBC Sport article can answer that: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59105705
Oh well. Life could be worse for both of us in that we could be Norwich fans or some club forever stuck in Leagues 1,2 and National League.

As of today, 11/1/21, Nuno was sacked. Saw it coming just didn't think it would happen so soon. I liked the guy and don't think he was the only one to blame for Spurs lack of success this season. The players certainly didn't help. Then there's Levy. Ugh.

Last edited:
That was a good win for you guys. Tottenham is in disarray right now. Oh well. Who's to blame? I'm not sure. Perhaps the following BBC Sport article can answer that: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59105705
Oh well. Life could be worse for both of us in that we could be Norwich fans or some club
Oh well. Life could be worse for both of us in that we could be Norwich fans or some club forever stuck in Leagues 1,2 and National League.

As of today, 11/1/21, Nuno was sacked. Saw it coming just didn't think it would happen so soon. I liked the guy and don't think he was the only one to blame for Spurs lack of success this season. The players certainly didn't help. Then there's Levy. Ugh.

Any ideas who you’ll get in to replace him?

It was a great win for Palace. We seem to do quite well when we’re underdogs, and then flounder and underperform against some lower league b team.

Any ideas who you’ll get in to replace him?

It was a great win for Palace. We seem to do quite well when we’re underdogs, and then flounder and underperform against some lower league b team.
Yeah, since I've following Spurs for 8 years now I've seen them do the same. For some reason they have owned City lately, but that's one of the few bright spots. By now you must know that Antonio Conte is their new manager. Don't know what good it will do if the players he is managing don't produce. Also, what if Levy doesn't give him the backing that Poch wanted? And therein lies the bigger problem.

Italy failed to beat Northern Ireland and Switzerland qualify directly.

Total drama coming up in the group containing Norway, Netherlands and Turkey. All these three can still end in any of the top three positions. I am not very optimistic going into a clash with the Dutch knowing that we probably must win, after all we haven't won there since 1951!

Depending on how Turkey fare against Montenegro, we can have the following outcomes:

Norway win and Turkey win: Turkey will finish first on goal difference, Netherlands third.

Both games drawn: Netherlands finish first, Turkey 2nd.

Draw in Rotterdam, Turkey lose: Netherlands 1st and Norway 2nd.

Draw in Rotterdam, Turkey win: Netherlands 1st on better goal difference than Turkey, Norway 3rd.

The only thing that is certain is that if Netherlands win, they will finish top.

Norwegian head coach Ståle Solbakken had read his speed skating history prior to today's press conference and compared the Dutch collapse against Montenegro to the skater Hilbert van der Duim, who in the 1981 world championship stopped skating one round early in the 5000m :D He did not, however, believe they would do the same thing twice, so we will need to play well for 90+ minutes if we are to have a chance.

It was cool Solbakken said this about Van der Duim (he certainly knows his classics)!

Turkey won with a lucky goal. I'd rather seen Norway going to a big tournament again. Alas. But naturally, I'm very happy that we made it.

Something else/ Congrats @LooseCannon with the first victory (2-1) over Mexico since 2000!
It was degrees below zero, though. DUH. ;-)
1024x576a.jpg

Conditions aside, Canada is doing very well. They take the lead in the group!

1. Canada *8-16 (+6)
2. USA *8-15 (+7)
3. Mexico *8-14 (+4)
4. Panama +8-14 (+2)
5. Costa Rica8-9 (-1)
6. Jamaica8-7 (-4)
7. El Salvador8-6 (-6)
8. Honduras8-3 (-10)
* WC-ticket (after 14 matches)
+ intercontinental play-offs (after 14 matches)

P.S. The assist for the Mexican goal was given by Corona!

As a Spur's fan, Antonio Conte's energy/passion is infectious. I had given up when they were down 0-1 to Leeds. But he didn't. You would've thought they won the Champions League or the Super Bowl after today's win over Leeds. He inherited a train wreck of a team, but he is obviously one to both recognize that and believe that he can change that. I hope so.

The March World Cup play-off schedule. Sorry for the Dutch abbreviations, but I'm sure the flags will help.
It's very striking that either Italy, either Portugal will NOT make it ! There is even a theoretical possibility that both won't make it.

chris-pratt-rubbing-hands.gif

1024x576a.jpg
View attachment 18085
Wow! When has that ever happened? I've been watching the World Cup since 1998(France won) and those 2 have always been there.

Btw, penalty kicks are a freakin' joke. Have felt this way for a long time. The ball is placed just 12 yards from the goal. 36 feet. Unless the player errs in their kick or the goalie guesses right, the person kicking makes the goal 75% of the time. It's almost as automatic as extra points used to be in the NFL until that league increased the distance. Ridiculous.

(Since 1998)
Eh no, Italy did not make it last time, in 2018.
And Portugal not in 1998.
Ah, okay. Forgot that Italy didn't make it in 2018. In 1998 they showed just the final here. The WC is probably my fave sports competition followed by the NCAA Men's Basketball Tourney.

Btw, penalty kicks are a freakin' joke. Have felt this way for a long time. The ball is placed just 12 yards from the goal. 36 feet. Unless the player errs in their kick or the goalie guesses right, the person kicking makes the goal 75% of the time. It's almost as automatic as extra points used to be in the NFL until that league increased the distance. Ridiculous.
I mean, they're called penalties for a reason. I would enjoy a rule change to discourage the stupid skipping some players do but otherwise they should be harsh against the team they're awarded against.

I mean, they're called penalties for a reason. I would enjoy a rule change to discourage the stupid skipping some players do but otherwise they should be harsh against the team they're awarded against.
I think I worded my post wrong. I have nothing against as to why they are awarded. I just hate the distance for I feel that it is too short. Perhaps add another 5-7 yards(at most). That said, I hate that some matches, most notably the first Champions League Final I ever watched between Chelsea and Bayern Munich in 2012 came down to that. Oh well. That's perhaps my one and only gripe about football for otherwise I love it. I watched Leicester v Watford yesterday while they played during a snow storm. Well, I was going back and forth between that one, MC v West Ham and Brentford v Everton. But of the 3, that was the most fun to watch. Don't know how those guys stay warm in such conditions:)

I think I worded my post wrong. I have nothing against as to why they are awarded. I just hate the distance for I feel that it is too short. Perhaps add another 5-7 yards(at most). That said, I hate that some matches, most notably the first Champions League Final I ever watched between Chelsea and Bayern Munich in 2012 came down to that. Oh well. That's perhaps my one and only gripe about football for otherwise I love it. I watched Leicester v Watford yesterday while they played during a snow storm. Well, I was going back and forth between that one, MC v West Ham and Brentford v Everton. But of the 3, that was the most fun to watch. Don't know how those guys stay warm in such conditions:)
You didn't word it wrong. I am just arguing that penalties are a punishment and intentionally unbalanced, so shouldn't be made easier for the goalkeeper.

More games postponed due to Covid. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Going to watch Leeds/Arsenal. Hopefully Leeds will show up(unlike the MC game) and beat the Gooners.

With these postponed matches, 2022 wil be tremendously busy for some PL players. As if the spring schedule isn't busy enough with European tournaments, domestic cup tournaments and international, the next season will start early due to the World Cup. Seems like 2023-24 will be the first normal season in European club football.

Last edited:
Back