Official Football Thread

Talksports European football expert, Andy Brassell says thers rumours that FIFA President Gianni Infantino was involved in orchestrating the ESL deal, despite FIFAs official anti ESL stance. The plot thickens.

FIFA should have no concerns with this. UEFA? Absolutely. FIFA? Why should they care. It simplifies everything for them.

I actually think there was a place for a proper European super league at the apex of the individual national systems, functioning as a top tier above all the individual top tiers, with advancement/relegation determined through a tournament (possibly a reworked Europa). But like, let's be fully honest, this methodology wants to break away from that.

People who think it wouldn't be fun to play the same 10 clubs are missing a few things. 1) It would be 19 clubs in the end, if they have their plan. 2) This model works for the NFL/NBA quite well. As long as teams have the best players, people will watch.

There's rumours now that UEFA will exclude the teams from the established tournaments. Which would mean Real Madrid, Chelsea and Manchester City would be thrown out of the Champions League - perhaps already by the end of this week.

There's rumours now that UEFA will exclude the teams from the established tournaments. Which would mean Real Madrid, Chelsea and Manchester City would be thrown out of the Champions League - perhaps already by the end of this week.
Why should they care? The only way to get at this is to ban the players through international competition - which is almost certainly not going to happen.

I know LC has been supporting the idea of a European Super League (NBA-like type) for a long time, but I don't think this is something that European fans want.

To me, it doesn't matter if it's 10 or 30 clubs. The bottom line is that these clubs will be there not because they have deserved their spot, but because they happen to be fucking loaded. This is what fans are opposed to.

To me, it doesn't matter if it's 10 or 30 clubs. The bottom line is that these clubs will be there not because they have deserved their spot, but because they happen to be fucking loaded. This is what fans are opposed to.
Well, absolutely. And that's why I think this league is very bad, because it doesn't participate in the league systems, and because it's about who can buy the best players, even moreso than current top tier leagues.

I'm not sure why this would generate significantly more income than current competitions? I'd be inclined to believe the speculation that it's a ruse to get a larger cut for the clubs involved out of the existing money pot.

I'm not sure why this would generate significantly more income than current competitions? I'd be inclined to believe the speculation that it's a ruse to get a larger cut for the clubs involved out of the existing money pot.
Because it will dominate all coverage. It'll be the top level football club in the world, and nothing will compare. They're creating a new pot and looting the holdings of at least three leagues to do it - and once they get some teams in from Bundesliga and Ligue 1 to commit, they'll be looting the holdings of the top five football leagues in the world.

You'd have to give them so much to keep them that you might as well not bother.

I know LC has been supporting the idea of a European Super League (NBA-like type) for a long time, but I don't think this is something that European fans want.
LC knows shit about Europe anyway.
Honestly, your European countries are so tiny I am surprised you don't accidentally be like "oh yeah we kinda accidentally drove to Germany last weekend".
:devil2:
With some possible exceptions in the north and west of the continent, but still.

RIP Super League, 2021-2021. Hell of a ride. Remember when they debuted and people hated it? Ah, good times. Then, remember when Chelsea and Man U bailed almost immediately, then the whole thing fell apart?

Leave the memories alone, don't change a thing...

A fine seems most likely. Apparently Everton and West Ham are the 2 most vociferous in calling for strong punishment of the English clubs.
I saw a Premier League table, as it would currently stand if the 6 were taken out and all their matches voided. West Ham would be 9 points clear at the top :D

A fine seems most likely. Apparently Everton and West Ham are the 2 most vociferous in calling for strong punishment of the English clubs.
I saw a Premier League table, as it would currently stand if the 6 were taken out and all their matches voided. West Ham would be 9 points clear at the top :D
Imagine the six clubs getting points deducted and West Ham winning the league. Steve would go on a 4 day bender celebrating.

Back