Official Football Thread

He's just one player. And it's not because of him.

Omar Elabdellaoue was the one with a positive test.

Edit: game cancelled ... confirmed by UEFA.

Last edited:

3 Rovers players in the Ireland squad, must be a very long time since that's happened. We've had a few more covid withdrawals etc. so presumably 2 of them are only there to make up the numbers since they are based in Dublin, but hopefully Jack Byrne get's a start on Wednesday. I'd love to see McEniff get a run as that would make him the 65th Rovers player to be capped by Ireland (Burke has 2 caps already).

Last edited:
Because the Norwegian health authorities chose a stricter approach than anyone else and decided that one Covid19 positive player was enough to put the entire squad in quarantine, we didn't send the team to Romania for Sunday's game and lost 3-0 on walk-over.

For tonight's game in Vienna we managed to field a squad where the majority had never played a senior game for Norway. The U21 coach had to lead the team because Lagerbäck is also in quarantine. The starting 11 had six debutants.

In these circumstances, a 1-1 draw against Austria exceeds expectatoons. By far.:applause:

Diego Maradona has died.

I am too young to have witnessed him in his best years, but still ... I am aware of his status and he is no doubt ne of the greatest players the world has seen. Before Zidane, Messi, the Ronaldos, the debate was about whether he or Pele was the greatest footballer of all time.

I have no doubt football fans a few years older than me will have strong opinions on this guy, because he was not only a great footballer, but a ... let's say ... colourful personality. Not one it would be natural to be indifferent to.

RIP.

He was indeed a colourful personality but a truly great player. I put him among the very best ever.
His goals against Belgium in the semifinal of the World Cup 86 were beauties. In a solo action he passed almost every Belgian player and then scored...respect! May he rest in peace in Football heaven. :(

I'm an armchair Napoli fan, I'm too young to remember him playing for Napoli, and I don't remember the 1986 World Cup but I do remember Italia 90. The recent documentary about him is fascinating, even for non-football fans. It basically went tits up for him when Argentina beat Italy in Italia 90, all the "extra curicular stuff" he used to get away with before then no longer had a blind eye turned to it and the Italians were out to get him.

I'm an armchair Napoli fan, I'm too young to remember him playing for Napoli, and I don't remember the 1986 World Cup but I do remember Italia 90. The recent documentary about him is fascinating, even for non-football fans. It basically went tits up for him when Argentina beat Italy in Italia 90, all the "extra curicular stuff" he used to get away with before then no longer had a blind eye turned to it and the Italians were out to get him.
Is it on Netflix?

I am not a football fan, but Maradona was one of the greatest players ever. I remember staying with my cousins in 1986 and, as they were really into football, the was a lot of TV watching during the world cup. What can one say? He scored THE GOAL

Diego Maradona has died.

I am too young to have witnessed him in his best years, but still ... I am aware of his status and he is no doubt ne of the greatest players the world has seen. Before Zidane, Messi, the Ronaldos, the debate was about whether he or Pele was the greatest footballer of all time.

I have no doubt football fans a few years older than me will have strong opinions on this guy, because he was not only a great footballer, but a ... let's say ... colourful personality. Not one it would be natural to be indifferent to.

RIP.
For me the best of my football watching lifetime (well... I did see Cruyff as well). Ruud Gullit, Romario (and probably lots of others) said he was the best player they saw on the field.

I have a question for you all about that insane goal vs England when Maradona crossed half the field. I never ever heard anyone else say it, but it sorta looks as if the English defender is making an own goal!

Can you see Maradona clearly made it?

For me the best of my football watching lifetime (well... I did see Cruyff as well). Ruud Gullit, Romario (and probably lots of others) said he was the best player they saw on the field.

I have a question for you all about that insane goal vs England when Maradona crossed half the field. I never ever heard anyone else say it, but it sorta looks as if the English defender is making an own goal!

Can you see Maradona clearly made it?
None of the camera angles give a perfect view, but from the best angle (from behind the goal) I think we can see that Maradona puts it away with his left foot.

I really doubt because I feel I see that ball launched when the defender's leg moves much faster (earlier than Maradona's) forward.

What has the game become ... Man UTd's Fred is standing face to face with a PSG player and slightly moves his head forward. It's very easy to see on the replay that we're not talking about a headbutt here, but the PSG player goes down as if that's exactly what happened.

And yet I am supposed to be relieved that Fred got away with a yellow card. How did we come to this? That obvious play-acting is not punished, and that even with VAR you risk that the opponent tricks the ref into giving you a red card for nothing?

I recall another recent game where a similar incident (perhaps with a slight amount of actual force involved) resulted in a red card for the "offender". Was it Arsenal? Regardless. It's fucking ridiculous. Actual contact between the players doesn't mean there isn't play-acting.

I remember years ago a Napoli played stitched a proper headbutt on a Juventus player, notice the reaction to a real headbutt, no rolling around making a meal of it, just hurt and lying flat

I was hoping that when VAR came in what it would be used for would be to shame players who exaggerate contact, instead it's nearly the opposite, if you make it look good for the cameras you get penalties and guys sent off

Back