Official Football Thread

giphy.gif

Fergie is out of intensive care now, but still in hospital.

He had a rough week to be fair. Liverpool reached the Champions League Final, Steven Gerrard was named Rangers manager and then Manchester United lost to Brighton. No wonder he had a brain hemorrhage.

If I were his age I wouldn't have survived that week.

Glad he's recovering. The man is an institution. He was manager of Man Utd from I was four years old ...

And he was still a great manager before even that. Dominated Scottish football with Aberdeen and won the Cup Winners' Cup against Real Madrid.

Indeed. After his title with Aberdeen, no other club than Rangers and Celtic have won the Scottish league. And Ferguson's Aberdeen is the only club outside the big two that has won the league more than once .. since 1960!

I haven't been following the SPL closely lately, how does Rangers compare to Celtic nowadays in terms of financial muscle? I see they're in a close race with Aberdeen for 2nd.

I haven't been following the SPL closely lately, how does Rangers compare to Celtic nowadays in terms of financial muscle? I see they're in a close race with Aberdeen for 2nd.
Who the hell follows Scottish football closely (or at all) other than Scottish (and some Irish) people anyway? :lol: Mind you, when I was in Orlando in December I met a guy who was familiar with Dundee because he used to follow the Scottish Pre-meer (American pronunciation) League.

Celtic have had a few years in the Champions League group stages where they get battered but rake in the cash. Rangers got into Europe for the first time since since August 2011 (a few months before folding) last season and lost in the first qualifying round to Progrès Niederkorn from, wait for it, Luxembourg. :lol: Someone on Scottish radio last night estimated that Celtic's squad is worth 2-3 times more than Rangers' at the moment. Rangers' chairman reckons that they only need to win the league once to break Celtic's financial dominance which he based on Rangers' failure to reach the Champions League group stages 10 years ago which messed up their finances thus sparking a chain of events over the next four seasons culminating in the club being sold, administration and ultimately liquidation. There's some doubt about that assertion as apparently Celtic don't budget for Champions League (that's a bonus) and they budget two years in advance. If they can't get to the UEFA Cup group stages next season then they'll continue to lag behind until at least Brendan Rodgers gets itchy for England again. Rangers still have a much bigger budget than Aberdeen or Hibernian though, but the club is still completely disorganized and unstable so it's not really a surprise they're scrapping for second and could finish fourth. Scott Brown, Celtic's captain, said at the start of the season that Rangers wouldn't challenge them this season, and he was dead right. I can't see how Steven Gerrard, a rookie manager, will be able to close the gap to Celtic. He's a madman for taking that job.

Arsenal giving Arsene Wenger a somewhat fitting end to his reign as Arsenal manager by getting battered by Leicester.

giphy.gif

Chelsea drawing against Huddersfield too. :lol:

Watched Barcelona - Villarreal earlier. What a player Dembele will be if he continues like this. Played more Messi-like than Messi himself.

For years now, Hamburg has been the shittiest club in the Bundesliga. Their suckery at football was only topped by their arrogance, because they haven't ever been relegated from the 1. Bundesliga and have been a mainstay for 55 years. In the last couple of seasons, they were just inches away from relegation every time, and always made it with the closest of luck; almost everybody in Germany who cares for football and doesn't hail from the posh areas of the city got seriously annoyed by it, because they simply haven't been 1. Bundesliga material in ages. So now, after it seemed like they would just barely make it again towards the end of the season, their luck finally, finally gave out and they got relegated with the last game. And to prove to the world that they have the shabbiest supporters ever, their fans started rioting even before the game was over and the game had to be cut short. Good riddance!

Back