Official American Football Thread

Wasted CLV said:
Actually, I heard on 670 The Score that Ditka and Buddy Ryan are going to be on one of the radio programs. Together!

There have been quite a few stories about them two, Ditka essentially said he should have gotten along better with Ryan and blamed the differences on stuborness.  Good to see them bury the hatchet.

I agree!! That was a great team.

I'm sorry to say this, but I see Cutler blowing it down the road.

cornfedhick said:
I can't tell how good the Packers are.  Their defense is starting to look amazing -- a total of one touchdown conceded in the last two games combined.

And now it's 10 points allowed in the last 3 games - one of those a shutout against a team tied for the NFL's best record.

(Though I'll admit it should have been 13 points. Minnesota took their own field goal off the board with a holding penalty.)

Now the Pack gets the tough part of their schedule:
Next week at Atlanta. Yikes.
Dec 5, home vs San Fran. Pack ought to win that.
Dec 12 at Detroit. Pack ought to win, but Detroit is better than their record indicates.
Dec 19 at New England. Yikes again. Hoping the league moves this one to the Sunday Night game.
Dec 26, home vs Giants. A very tough game, but the Pack ought have a good chance at home.
Jan 2, home vs Chicago. If Chicago keeps winning, this could be a division championship. Effectively a playoff game, since the NFC North is unlikely to produce a wild card this year.

SinisterMinisterX said:
The Raiders do this every year. They look crazy good for 2 or 3 weeks, maybe 4 ... then collapse again.

Just like how the Chargers always go on a tear in the 2nd half of the season. And the Broncos collapse down the stretch, either missing playoffs they should have made or choking in the first round.

The first part of my prediction came true today. Three wins and they're back to normal now.

The second part - we'll find out tomorrow night.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
It sucks more than anything could ever suck to be a Vikes fan right now.
Apparently the owner thought the same thing and fired the coach, who was one of the more uninspiring sad sacks I've ever seen in a pro sports leadership position. 

SinisterMinisterX said:
And now it's 10 points allowed in the last 3 games - one of those a shutout against a team tied for the NFL's best record.

(Though I'll admit it should have been 13 points. Minnesota took their own field goal off the board with a holding penalty.)

Now the Pack gets the tough part of their schedule:
Next week at Atlanta. Yikes.
Dec 5, home vs San Fran. Pack ought to win that.
Dec 12 at Detroit. Pack ought to win, but Detroit is better than their record indicates.
Dec 19 at New England. Yikes again. Hoping the league moves this one to the Sunday Night game.
Dec 26, home vs Giants. A very tough game, but the Pack ought have a good chance at home.
Jan 2, home vs Chicago. If Chicago keeps winning, this could be a division championship. Effectively a playoff game, since the NFC North is unlikely to produce a wild card this year.

The first part of my prediction came true today. Three wins and they're back to normal now.

The second part - we'll find out tomorrow night.

And the Wild Cards won't come out of the NFC West, so the Eagles and Giants look to be playoff bound (obviously one as a wild card) and I can see both Atlanta and NO making it in (I don't think Tampa will survive down the stretch).  So, yeah, I agree that the North will only send the Division winner.  Ooohhhh, that'll be interesting!

KC has their destiny in their own hands!  Playing Oakland and Denver in KC, SD on the road.... win those three, and its the same as a done deal for the AFC West!

cornfedhick said:
Apparently the owner thought the same thing and fired the coach, who was one of the more uninspiring sad sacks I've ever seen in a pro sports leadership position.   

The Packers are the coach-killers! We crushed Dallas, and Wade Philips got fired. We crush Minnesota, and Childress got fired.

Mike Singletary better have his resume up to date. :bigsmile:
Wasted CLV said:
(I don't think Tampa will survive down the stretch)

Probably correct. Tampa has a tough remaining schedule. They still haven't beaten a team with a winning record, I think.

Eagles and Giants have easier schedules, but Washington can still play spoiler. (1 more Giants-Redskins game, and 2 Eagles-Redskins games yet to play.)

If Washington and Tampa both catch fire, Tampa could make the wild card. But that's a huge if.

Since you guys mostly talk about the NFC i am going to throw in my two cents about the AFC.

West

Kansas City (6-4) Has been a great story this year and would love to see them make the playoffs. As Wasted said they have destiny in there own hands.

Team Ranking      Rushing           Passing
Offense    9th      164.7 (1st)     197.7 (26th)
Defense   21st     104.1 (11th)   244.3 (24th)

Remaining schedule:
Nov 28 @Seattle  4:05pm
Dec 5 Denver  1:00pm
Dec 12 @San Diego  4:15pm
Dec 19 @St. Louis  1:00pm
Dec 26 Tennessee  1:00pm
Jan 2       Oakland 1:00pm

The 12/12 game @ SD will be there ticket to post season. Home against Ten. and Oak. are tough games but if there a playoff team they have to win these.

San Diego (5-5) The Chargers are back and are a scary team when playing well.

Team Ranking     Rushing            Passing
Offense 1st         111.7 (16th)    306.5 (1st)
Defense 1st         86.8 (3rd)       183.9 (1st)

Remaining schedule:
Nov 28 @Indianapolis 8:20pm
Dec 5 Oakland 4:05pm
Dec 12 Kansas City 4:15pm
Dec 16 San Francisco 8:20pm
Dec 26 @Cincinnati 8:20pm
Jan 2 @Denver 4:15pm

San Diego can only afford 1 more loss. I really believe it will be a 10 win minimum to make the playoffs in the AFC. Two very tough games @Indy and home against KC, I will also throw in @ Cincy and @Den in cold climates for a team notoriously poor in the cold.

Oakland (5-5) and Denver (3-7) are spoilers at this point and in the end only the winner of the West is post season bound.

South

Jacksonville (6-4) The Jags have been a bit of a surprise this year. QB Garrard has been playing well and RB MJD has always been good. Will there 27th Ranked Defense hold up in a tough stretch run?

Team Ranking      Rushing        Passing
Offense 20th     135.3 (6th)   200.3 (25th)
Defense 27th    112.2 (17th)     264.6 (27th)

Remaining Schedule:
Nov 28 @N.Y. Giants 1:00pm
Dec 5 @Tennessee 1:00pm
Dec 12 Oakland 1:00pm
Dec 19 @Indianapolis 1:00pm
Dec 26 Washington 1:00pm
Jan 2 @Houston 1:00pm

Indianapolis (6-4) The Colts go as far as Manning can take them. Key injuries to RB's and WR's have slowed the offense a bit.

Team Ranking      Rushing         Passing
Offense 4th       88.5 (26th)    299.6 (2nd)
Defense 20th     136.7 (28th      207.7 (8th)

Remaining Schedule:
Nov 28 San Diego 8:20pm
Dec 5  Dallas  4:15pm
Dec 9 @Tennessee 8:20pm
Dec 19 Jacksonville 1:00pm
Dec 26 @Oakland 4:05pm
Jan 2 Tennessee 1:00pm

Tennessee (5-5) Have to throw the Titans in the mix. They are only a game out of first and have 5 games left in the division.

Team Ranking  Rushing           Passing
Offense 26th   127.0 (8th)     184.7 (31st)
Defense 24th   103.5 (10th)   258.7 (25th)

Remaining Schedule:
Nov 28 @Houston 1:00pm
Dec 5 Jacksonville 1:00pm
Dec 9 Indianapolis 8:20pm
Dec 19 Houston 1:00pm
Dec 26 @Kansas City 1:00pm
Jan 2  @Indianapolis 1:00pm

Houston (4-6) This was the season they where going to take the next step and make the playoffs. Started out (3-1)

I have to go with Manning and the Colts in the South. To much experience and talent. The Jag's could really throw a wrench in that prediction if they can beat the Colts on 12/19. Otherwise they need to get to 10 wins to possibly be in the wild card mix. I can not see any way the Titans go 5-1 down the stretch but they will have their chance to play the spoiler role.

North

Baltimore (7-3) A tough and talented team with the experience to go with it.

Team Ranking    Rushing         Passing
Offense 12th     116.6 (12th)  231.6 (14th)
Defense 8th      101.8 (9th)    210.0 (10th)

Remaining Schedule:
Nov 28 Tampa Bay 4:15pm
Dec 5 Pittsburgh 8:20pm
Dec 13 @Houston 8:30pm
Dec 19 New Orleans 1:00pm
Dec 26 @Cleveland 1:00pm
Jan 2 Cincinnati 1:00pm

Pittsburgh (7-3) A playoff staple on their way again.

Team Ranking   Rushing         Passing
Offense 22nd    118.0 (10th) 207.3 (21st)
Defense 5th      63.0 (1st)     239.1 (21st)

Remaining Schedule:

Nov 28 @Buffalo 1:00pm
Dec 5 @Baltimore 8:20pm
Dec 12 Cincinnati 1:00pm
Dec 19 N.Y. Jets 4:15pm
Dec 23 Carolina 8:20pm
Jan 2 @Cleveland 1:00pm

Cleveland (2-8)
Moving in the right direction with a lot of young talent.
Cincinnati (2-8) Someone is losing their job over this fiasco. What happened to the Bengals this year?

Two top quality teams fighting for the division. A huge matchup looming. No matter what happens in that game i have both teams in the playoffs. I give the edge to the Ravens to win the division. Ravens are a more balanced team then the Steelers. Both teams will be tough to beat come the post season.

East

New York Jets (8-2)
As a Jets fan for 35 years these last 12 months have been some of my greatest. From an improbable playoff run last year, to an 8-2 record this year. The last 3 weeks have been an emotional rollercoaster and finding ways to win these games has been exciting. 3 very tough road games left. Defibrillator charged and ready!

Team Ranking      Rushing           Passing
Offense 8th          145.9 (4th)     220.0 (17th)
Defense 7th           90.3 (5th)     220.0 (15th)

Remaining Schedule

Nov 25 Cincinnati 8:20pm
Dec 6 @New England 8:30pm
Dec 12 Miami 4:15pm
Dec 19 @Pittsburgh 4:15pm
Dec 26 @Chicago 1:00pm
Jan 2    Buffalo 1:00pm

New England (8-2) Belichick, Brady and a long playoff tradition. Can the young secondary hold up come playoff time.

Team Ranking      Rushing       Passing
Offense 17th      112.8 (15th)  226.6 (16th)
Defense 30th      108.8 (15th)  289.6 (30th)

Remaining Schedule
Nov 25 @Detroit 12:30pm
Dec 6 N.Y. Jets 8:30pm
Dec 12 @Chicago 1:00pm
Dec 19 Green Bay 8:20pm
Dec 26 @Buffalo 1:00pm
Jan 2   Miami 1:00pm

Miami (5-5) QB injuries have doomed a team on the rise.
Buffalo (2-8) They really need the first draft pick. They desperately need a QB. "Luck" will not be on their side.

Looks like 12/6 will go a long way in deciding the division winner. Slight edge to the Jets who won the first match up. Both teams are playoff bound.

AFC playoff seed prediction
1. Baltimore
2. New York
3. Indianapolis
4. San Diego
5. New England
6. Pittsburgh
Honorable Mention... K.C., Jax

NFC playoff prediction
1. Atlanta
2. Philadelphia
3. Green Bay
4. St. Louis
5. New Orleans
6. Tampa Bay
Honorable Mention... Da Bears, N.Y., Sea.

I'm not sure that 10 wins is needed to win the division, though the Chargers will need 10 if the lose to KC again and lose the tie breaker.

bearfan said:
I'm not sure that 10 wins is needed to win the division, though the Chargers will need 10 if the lose to KC again and lose the tie breaker.

Its possible the winner of the West gets in @ 9-7 but SD is toast if they lose to KC. The first tie breaker is head to head and they lost the first match up.

Eagles and Giants have easier schedules, but Washington can still play spoiler. (1 more Giants-Redskins game, and 2 Eagles-Redskins games yet to play.)

Actually 1 more Redskins-Cowboys game - this rivalry could go either way, it's in Dallas and Romo should be back.

2 Against the Giants - this may be a split... if the Giants choke out the end of the season like they usually do.

We split the series and are done with the Eagles, thank goodness.

I still don't see Washington going better than 8-8, so the Eagles And Giants would be in; however, I'm not convinced that 3 teams CAN'T come out of the South this year. At least the Skins have the Vikings this week, at home. If we can't win that then it is definitely over.

John Clayton on ESPN.com:

Now, for the most part, we know the players from the non-players in terms of the playoffs and are starting to get an idea of how the playoff seedings will shake out.

For example, in the AFC, the leaders of the North and East are moving toward the top two seeds, while the South and West leaders are starting to look like No. 3 and No. 4 seeds.

In the NFC, the South and North have five teams at 7-3 or better, positioning their division champs to get top seeds. The Eagles are 7-3 too, but they could have a tougher time because they have three more divisional games left. As for the NFC West, someone has to win it, but all four teams lost on Sunday, three handing victories to the NFC South.

Whoa. I never even thought of that. I forgot the NFC South can only produce one top seed. GB could be in the home field race? Cool.

Whoa. I never even thought of that. I forgot the NFC South can only produce one top seed. GB could be in the home field race? Cool.

I think they stand an excellent chance of getting seeded no lower than 2.

I would not chalk Green Bay in as the division winner yet.  The Bears-Eagles game this week will go a long way to showing if the Bears are for real or not.  Chicago's Defense is playing great.

It can be a really bad opffense, but has been getting better the last 3 weeks as they started to run the ball more.  A decent offense, good Defense, and a re-juvinated Hester flipping field position either through returns or teams kicking short and away from him can be a winning combo.

Back