Now drinking

They brought in "minimum unit pricing" for alcohol over here from the start of the year. Basically it means that alcohol can't be sold too cheap anymore. In theory a lot of alcohol was way above the minimum price so there shouldn't have been any price increases but a lot of places are putting the prices up across the board, so not just the cheap stuff has gone up.

However, it's not all bad, Lidl have this English ale stocked now, as it's fairly weak so it can be sold for a relatively cheap price. As a fan of English ales, anything that increases their availability is fine by me.
00026537.jpg

What's the approximate cost of a regular beer now?

It's only for off licences, pub prices are way above the minimum so should not be affected.

minimim_unit_pricing_bodyv5.png

Basically, your big brand lagers/stout, Heineken/Carlsberg/Budweiser/Guinness would be around 2 euro to 2.50 for a can in the off licence. But multipacks would be often available for dirt cheap, e.g. I bought a couple of trays of guinness before christmas @ €17 for 24 cans. That will never happen again.

Craft beer usually 4 small cans for €10. Good Czech/German lagers usually 4 or 5 1/2 litre bottles in and around 10 euro. So really none of that should be affected in theory as they would be above the minimum anyway.

Off-license is where you go to get your beer for home, I am guessing?

When I want to get a lot of beer for cheap, I go to Quebec, where I can get 500mL cans for about $1.80/can. So Canada now has cheaper beer than Europe. This is sad.

Founders Breakfast Stout

Ugh. Stuff gave me "the shits". Tastes ok but will avoid from now on. Reminds me of what happened after a night at parties where the keg beer was Milwaukee's Best.

Last edited:
My Old Speckled Hen keg ran out, so I've been slowly cleaning up the liquor a visitor left behind, mostly cognac and spiced rum.

Currently losing leftover holiday weight, so I’m limiting myself to my go-to lower calorie beer (126 cal / 12 oz):

805EC613107F4231B7AEEE7454C0A462.ashx

Back