Nicko McBrain

Whoa. Firstly, thank @harrisdevot for scanning all that for us - I really appreciate it.

Okay, so what we have here is NME, having spent the last however many years confidently proclaiming that punk was the future and metal/heavy rock was dead and buried by 1970, have been proved spectacularly wrong and have been left with egg on their faces. (Michael Fish, anyone?) So they duly give it some page space (they can't get away with ignoring it anymore), but do so with the apparent intention of showing that everyone involved, musicians and fans alike, must all be mindless morons. This really shouldn't surprise us and there's absolutely no point wasting our energy being angry and pissed off about it now. After all, Maiden had the last laugh!

One thing I found especially touching was Steve emotional statement that "I know I won't be able to deliver this kind of performance forever ... in ten years time I won't be able to do this and I tell you I don't even want to think about that day. It's gonna be a sad day when that happens." That was in 1982. Thirty six years later ...
:)

Last edited:

Thanks a lot for those scans!

It seems that page 28 is missing though (I guess that is the page that included the bit you scanned for us previously).

Last edited:
Thanks for scanning that harrisdevot, I stopped reading after I got to the part were he quotes Steve as saying "i fahnd fings going on" and realised I'm only going to get angry if I read anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Corbijn, he's somewhat well known, it's a surprise then that the article reads like it was writing by a pretentious undergrad.

If that NME piece is anything to go by, he is a big piece of shit! :mad:

That does not make Steve's comments we previously discussed any more acceptable though.

I still do not dare to read this whole article, but I too am annoyed by the way Steve was phrased (like srfc). But I am very surprised that this was done by Anton Corbijn. He is a very famous photographer and video and film director. But what a crap way of asking questions. Very judgmental.

edit:
I'm still not convinced he did the interview. I've never heard of him doing interviews.
Perhaps @harrisdevot can check the precise credits of this issue/article.

Last edited:
Great interview. The three strikes / two yellow cards was something we never heard before. It may be relevant in Clive's case, maybe even with Di'Anno and Stratton.

I think Nicko's mercurial personality probably created a significant number of problems in the 80s; the formal warning probably only came after many of this things have happened...

A friend of mine used to work as local crew in Madrid during the 80s so he could save enough money to go to University. As a result of this job, he has a wealth of anecdotes about different big bands. Regarding Maiden, he told me that they were all nice in different ways (Bruce, for instance, was quieter than Steve when he met them; the local crew ended up playing a bit of football with some Maiden members) but Nicko had a bit of a short fuse. My friend still remembers quite vividly the massive bollocking Nicko gave to his drum tech in front of everyone back when they played in Madrid in 1986.

Side note, a mate of mine does local crew in Belfast. The last time Rihanna came to town a local runner was sent out to get her the biggest dildo they could find. No doubt RiR's do this is a crew wind up.
He did Maiden in 2011 and said the Maiden Machine was impressive, the most professional and well oiled crew he had seen to that point. He managed to get me a crew t shirt too. What a guy.

;) I guess I completely fucked up again. I'll check this out this evening.
Not necessarily - I read through the whole lot last night and thought I'd managed to follow it through okay. I might try printing the pages and sticking them together to check.

Actually I might just do that anyway :).

Back