Nicko McBrain

My guess then is "maidenspeech" is their "clever" way of saying Morley wrote the words, "maidenheads" could mean anything but my guess is he took the photos as photography is his background.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Morley , I'm familiar with him from being on various tv programmes that discuss music history or "top 20 greatest moments" etc. style programmes. He always came across to me as being a sneering tosser.

Thanks, you are a star!

Maidenheads quite probably refers to the photos and Maidenspeech to the words, as srfc has pointed out.

Regarding Morley, I know him for the same reasons as srfc does (and have exactly the same opinion about him). I did not know he was born down the road!

Reading Steve’s racial comments that started this, I’d have to say they are pretty tame and rather mainstream from what I’d expect from a regular working class 25 year old at that time.

Not excusing them, but I’d be surprised if they reflected his views today. It was a different world in 1982.

Reading Steve’s racial comments that started this, I’d have to say they are pretty tame and rather mainstream from what I’d expect from a regular working class 25 year old at that time.

Not excusing them, but I’d be surprised if they reflected his views today. It was a different world in 1982.
Fair comment, but I honestly don't see racism here. He's hardly PC by today's standards but I don't see that he's racist. He's trying to speak honestly of what he's personally seen and experienced, and just not doing it very well. He seems to be trying to say that clashes of culture are not necessarily down to race/colour but the actual differences between the cultures involved, and that whether or not he got on with the black kids at school had nothing to do with the fact they were black, but rather it was down to personalities.

Obviously his background and lack of experience up to that point is going to colour his world view, but he seems to be already trying to see outside of it when he says that "there's good and bad in everyone" and that he's "got a fundamentally optimistic feeling about most human beings". "Racism" happens when someone is discriminating purely on race and ignoring everything else (and please remember that "discriminate" is not in itself a negative term, it just means a deliberate choosing of one person or thing instead of another). I don't see that happening here, in fact Steve seems to be trying to get away from that idea: only he's not expressing himself very well and is going round in circles.

But yes, I would also be surprised if this represented his views today. I'd actually be surprised if the kind of phantom fears he's agonising about here even register on his radar any more.

Obviously his background and lack of experience up to that point is going to colour his world view, but he seems to be already trying to see outside of it when he says that "there's good and bad in everyone" and that he's "got a fundamentally optimistic feeling about most human beings".

The comment about having a fundamentally optimistic feeling about most human beings is from Bruce...

The comment about having a fundamentally optimistic feeling about most human beings is from Bruce...
Okay fair enough (I suppose the fact they bothered to spell all that section correctly should have given it away :)). Point still stands though.

I'm reminded of something I once read about James May: "he's never going to make a very good bigot: he likes people too much" or something like that. I think the same can be said of Steve, Nicko and the rest of the band, for that matter. Okay so Steve may have been a bit more rough round the edges in his first youth but from what I can tell he's always been a generally decent human being. And that was what was always going to come out, in the end.

Like Bruce, I also have a fundamentally optimistic feeling about most human beings - I honestly believe that the additional question "did they intend any harm by this?" is always relevant and that prejudice/preconceived notions that are purely based on ignorance or faulty information can always be solved by better education. The real test is what does that person do when more reliable information becomes available to them - are they prepared to re-educate themselves? I don't think we can fault Steve on that.

Last edited:
That's pretty cool. And with them being based in England it's also easier, at least for me, to purchase some Nicko endorsed drum gear..Sonor, Paiste etc. I'm sure they'll stock some limited Nicko/Maiden exclusives sooner or later too...

Back