Nicko McBrain

Interesting playback. Thanks for posting it. The drapes! :lol:

If I remember correctly Nicko did not play on the original version of the song, hence his less than flamboyant playing on that kit. :D

I don't think I've seen him behind a smaller kit. :)
Perhaps his first playback. I think he does the breaks very well though.

I don't think I've seen him behind a smaller kit. :)
Perhaps his first playback. I think he does the breaks very well though.

Trust were obviously not as worried as Maiden by his good looks so did not see the need to hide him behind a bigger kit! At least Nicko claims that is why his kit is so massive with Maiden. :lol:

I had a look for them years ago, I'm not sure if they were ever released on CD, I'd be interested in checking them out, obviously I'm aware of antisocial from the anthrax cover, but there used to be a track on youtube (maybe it's still there) called Les Brutes with nicko playing on it, I remember it being a good track

Trust were obviously not as worried as Maiden by his good looks so did not see the need to hide him behind a bigger kit! At least Nicko claims that is why his kit is so massive with Maiden. :lol:
Funnily enough, he did usually play with his big kit with Trust. I've forgotten when exactly he got the kit, but it was prior to him even joining Trust.

Funnily enough, he did usually play with his big kit with Trust. I've forgotten when exactly he got the kit, but it was prior to him even joining Trust.
If I remember correctly, Pat Travers bought one for him, but when Nicko was fired/left, Pat reclaimed that kit and that was the reason, why they weren't on good terms for many years.

Than, Nicko bought the same Sonor kit himself. If I remember correctly, he still has at least one bass drum from it.

If I remember correctly, Pat Travers bought one for him, but when Nicko was fired/left, Pat reclaimed that kit and that was the reason, why they weren't on good terms for many years.

That is correct, as far as I can remember, especially the bit about not being on good terms for a long time.

New Nicko interview - I haven't watched it, so I don't know if there are spoilers - be warned!

If it's spoiler-free, can someone let me know? I don't want to watch it if he gives anything away :(

I think this sad news hadn't arrived on Maidenfans yet, or at least I missed it.

Peter "Mars" Cowling died three months ago, on March 20th. He was 71 years old. I am not sure if Nicko has (literally) said it but I'm pretty sure Mars was the finest bassist he played with, next to Harris. Here they jam with Adrian on Nicko's 60th birthday:

Nicko played on two Pat Travers albums with Mars:
  • 1977 Makin' Magic
  • 1977 Putting It Straight
Expect more attention for this man when he comes on in the battle between bass players.

Last edited:
Back