New Single - The Writing on the Wall

Another nod to the lyrics. This was probably written in 2019 and we know what has happened since then...everything from political turmoil and covid, this is spot on.

I wonder if they consider including characters wearing masks in the videoclip. It would be a passage through the controversial realm that Maiden wisely avoids. On the other hand it would help to go viral.

As for the music itself: not an instant classic, but very good!! And that solo by Adrian? Wow!

And whoever came up with the marketing campaign deserves a raise! It worked great!

mix is problematic little bit - part at 03:03 sounds like something crashed on spotify. But Apple Music + playing it loud helps a lot. I'm very happy that this is again time for new Maiden. Shit, I still can't believe that it's here.

First solo is little bit growing on me. But I refuse to call it 'solo'. :)

I'm sure it was mentioned earlier but the official YouTube channel does also have an audio only video that's better quality:

For those of you like me who want to binge it but don't subscribe to the various music streaming services.

Last edited:
I wonder if they consider including characters wearing masks in the videoclip. It would be a passage through the controversial realm that Maiden wisely avoids. On the other hand it would help to go viral.

As for the music itself: not an instant classic, but very good!! And that solo by Adrian? Wow!

And whoever came up with the marketing campaign deserves a raise! It worked great!
It was a very professional marketing campaign so far indeed!

1) Chorus is not repeated excessively
2)Riffs are great
3)There are tempo shifts
4)The bridbe is fantastic
5) The solos are great

My only real concern is the mix and the production as always. IMO this is the best single post reunion. And it is mainly due to not involving Steve at all in the arrangement process! This song has a very Bruce-solo-material feel that I enjoy.

Funny thing is that the melodies sound too close to Steve/Jan writing style.

The vibe is similar to TMOS but this is much better!

Adrian (single coil neck pickup):
5:19
5:34
5:47

Janick:
5:27
5:37
5:40
5:50

It's quite easy to recognise Jan's vibrato, which is so different.

Also, the only drop D thing on this track seems to be the acoustic. Other guitars seem to be tuned standard. Maybe H is in drop D, but it doesn't sound like he is. But no multiple drop D guitars like on IESF.

I thought it sounded a little bit like Como Estais Amigos at 2:54

No, that's not it. I give up, I think I conflated the Wild Wind at 9:04 - misremembering the tempo - with No More Lies intro, probably.

Hey, whatever, Mother Russia it is.

Now I have to rewatch for possible racist teeth.

The big teeth reminds me of this from Father Ted.

maxresdefault.jpg

Back