New Single - The Writing on the Wall

TROBB is epic...... «My sins are many, my guilt is too heavy...», it is actually one of the best first tastes of a new IM album ever, period. Still get goosebumps when I listen to it and so freakin heavy. Basically the only post-reunion single that has a similar structure to the new one (mid tempo, no bursts e.t.c) except that the new one gives me NPFTD vibes, kudos to the people that pinpointed this, and this is bad .....like extremely bad.

This far surpassed my expectations. Up there with ‘The Wicker Man’ as best first single of the reunion years.
It’s slightly ahead of ‘Breeg’ as I found it so unexpected. They’ve surprised me once again.
Surprised as well that so many are reserved about it.

Definitely sounded nothing like Maiden in those first few seconds till the bass kicked in and then the drums and it became unmistakable. Both because of the playing, but also because of the distinctive, ahem, sound they've once again accomplished with some of the finest drums they make on this planet. Guitars sounded pretty well layered and lush, and those solos, oh my. I'm glad they improved on that since TBOS was atrociously muddy.

I did notice the vocals and whatnot were very off in the video version but I'd never guessed it's a phase cancellation issue. Sounds way, way better on Apple Music. That's definitely gonna be an issue for first impressions since you can barely make out the lyrics as-is, let alone when they're mangled like that. Anyway, I like the song so far. It's different, it's not mindblowing, but it's alright. I like it better than Speed of Light already.

Yeah I like it. A slightly different vibe (some country undertones), yet a somber yet mellow song. And I'm sure it will grow on me even more. Maiden taking some more risks at their 60's and 70's. That alone is pretty amazing. This definitively made my interest on the new album grow exponentially (and Bruce sounds really good!). Well done! :ok:

The more I listen to it, the better it gets. I really didn't notice how good the second solo is the first few listens.

Reactions: jcv
I’m a big fan of this song. After 40 years that they can still come up with a song like this is amazing. It sounds fresh and inspired. Bruce is sounding great. I have high hopes for the album. I haven’t been this excited for a new Maiden album since my first new one “No Prayer for the Dying”

Great stuff overall....a surprise style with the western/eastern acoustic intro (short and 2 the point, nice) then a southern bluesy riff that forms the basis of the song....amazing chorus and imagery. Maiden surprise again and keep growing. Proud to be a Maiden fan since I was 10 years old. Now 44. Love it and really hyped about the album. Just hope the album cover isn't 'animation' style

TROBB is epic...... «My sins are many, my guilt is too heavy...», it is actually one of the best first tastes of a new IM album ever, period. Still get goosebumps when I listen to it and so freakin heavy. Basically the only post-reunion single that has a similar structure to the new one (mid tempo, no bursts e.t.c) except that the new one gives me NPFTD vibes, kudos to the people that pinpointed this, and this is bad .....like extremely bad.
This song is deeper than the entire NPFTD album.

Back