New album: The Final Frontier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A german review I read says that Satellite 15 sounds something Voivod could've come up with, also, the band and Rod said they dig Voivod a lot. Also, on the scanned interview with Dave and H, the interviewer says he hears a lot of nods to Rush on some new songs. Man, Maiden+Rush+Voivod = a classic coming up?! It looks like that!!! :edmetal:

Jeffmetal said:
Also, on the scanned interview with Dave and H, the interviewer says he hears a lot of nods to Rush on some new songs. Man, Maiden+Rush+Voivod = a classic coming up?! It looks like that!!! :edmetal:

Do you mean JackKnife's scans?
Which sentence is that? I thought the interviewer only mentioned Rush when they talked about songwriting. The Rush members have certain roles in the process.

This part - "Parfois, on pense à Rush à la e'ccouté de certaines parties..." to which Adrian answers 'Oui, Oui...". On the review on the scans, the reviewer mentions Rush twice while describing some songs.

You mean how Rush approach the songwriting? If it's that you're talking about, it's mostly Alex coming up the songs parts, then Geddy writes some parts too, vocal lines, assembling and arranging the songs (he's the organizer) and Neil writing the lyrics, but always switching suggestions with Geddy about the correct matching of sylables and rhymes within the beat and the vocal lines.

JackKnife said:
I recall a Bruce interview during the promo of Somewhere In Time in which he said the new album would contain...9 tracks. He mentioned an acoustic tune he wrote and the band recorded. Today we know that he had at least 3 tracks available but none were released. The fact is that at least one of these songs was recorded and apparently mixed. Bruce explained the lyrics delt with a soldier in a submarine or something like that. I'm not sure at 100% of the title but I was amazed in 1990 when the band released No Prayer For The Dying because the title of the mysterious song was something like Run Silent Run Deep. I'm sorry but my memory is not as good as it used to be... :D
This story also suggests that the song was excluded at the very last moment. I've always been wondering why the hell it did not surface as a b-side for example.
I still have the interview somewhere. It's written in French however... :innocent:

I know it's a bit sketchy, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that some of the discarded Somewhere in Time material found its way onto the Balls to Picasso album. If I had to guess, I'd say Hell No would be one of them. Also, Winds of Change, which appears on the Balls to Picasso bonus disc, could fit the description of this acoustic song, plus he played it on the Tattooed Millionnaire tour, which means the song had been around since at least 1989.

Jeffmetal said:
Neil writing the lyrics, but always switching suggestions with Geddy about the correct matching of sylables and rhymes within the beat and the vocal lines.

Well, except on their two newest songs where they all just apparently said "fuck it, we're jamming as many words into this song whether it makes sense or not" :)

Crimson Mask said:
Well, except on their two newest songs where they all just apparently said "fuck it, we're jamming as many words into this song whether it makes sense or not" :)

Yeah, but they got 17 albums (18 next year) on a 36 years career, together.

Sweden Rock Magazine review -
Lightyears from the straight, simple songs that recently has opened Iron Maidens albums, like the wicker man or wildest dreams, Satellite 15 is an strange spacerock piece that resembles to Hawkwind, and brings you to mind of a drug intoxication, not until Bruce start to sing you can hear what band it is but it's still strange.

After the intro the later part of the track called the final frontier the song moves towards pretty pure chours driven heavy metal. About in the same vien as Brave New World.

El Dorado has a heavy 70-ies influenced guitar-riff, with a bass that could be taken from "Killers", and a powerfull chours. This is the kind of simple track that usually opens a Maiden album.

Mother of Mercy sounds like folkmusic to begin with. After a while drums and distorted gitarrs comes into the picture, but to be pretty epic, the song is also peculiary stripped down. And beutifull. Like many other songs on this album the lyrics tries to find an answer to questions about life, remedy and God.

It is also beautiful when Bruce in "Coming home" tell us about how it is to fly a airplain in a lyric that have more than just that meaning to it. The song has a groove that resembles of "Children of the Damned"...big and powerfull, good sing-along-potential.

Bruce is also involved in "the Alchemist" about the 16th century ocultist John Dee. It's the fastest song on the record so far. No real chorus and not one of the strongest songs on the album.

The dynamic duo Steve Harris and Adrian Smith are behind the making of "Isle of Avalon". The suggestive opening invoke very evident both "rime of the ancient mariner" and "Seventh son of a Seventh Son". Specially the former has lent it's long middle part, which is no doubt intentional. It's a progressive song that could have been on the "A matter of life and death" album.

"Starblind" signed Adrian, Steve and Bruce, has a patented Iron Maiden opening with bass and melodic guitars. The rest of the song flows in strange (time/beat) and has a disruped chorus. Dispite this the chours is effective and Bruce sound fantastic.

"The talisman", is a nine minute song that is quick, hard rock with beautifull melodies. The chours comes late, but is grandious and epic when it arrives.

"The man who would be king", is a quick piece with multiple time changes. The slow outro with an chours-like part brings your thoughts to "Afraid to shoot strangers".

There has been many long songs but none as long as the 11-minutes song "When the wild wind blows". This is a sad story in folktune and the only song solely written by Steve Harris. It does not have a chorus, instead it has three different melodies that succeed eachother. Yet it seems like the greatest moment of the album, in the same school as "Fear of the Dark", with some of the most gripping melodies Harris has ever composed. A worthy ending on a strong and creative album.

Re: Song Writing Credits on The Final Frontier

from what i've read they are pretty accurate.

The French article has the same credits. It all looks pretty reliable now.

i was refering to the reviews for example talisman looks a Janick tune

From the many pre-reviews we've seen, it's looking like the second half of the album is far stronger and more interesting than the first half.  Which is pretty good considering I really like El Dorado and what I've heard of The Final Frontier.

Maybe it would be a good idea to merge the different topics on this album into this one now? No need for threads like "Yay, another positive review of the album!" with five replies, is there?

Re: Oh my God...The Final Frontier sounds amazing!!

Oh man, that album gets more exciting with each interview and review I read.  Great find, thanks for posting that!

Another 2 reviews:

From Rock Hard magazine (JackKnife's scans. Thanx to djemaa for the translation):

As we all heard Satellite 15 and El Dorado, I will begin by Mother Of Mercy - On acoustic guitar, it deals with the guiltiness that can feel a few soldiers.
It goes "crescendo".
Bruce's singing is not evident and quite unusual.
It should suit perfectly to a live session but really surprising and really too much repetitive.

Coming Home - One of the best track on the album which begins like a Power Ballad. Bruce is singing really well on it. This track is quite progressive with a "false rythm" and a very epic way, but remains very melodic as well.
We can notice, once again, very unusual things from Iron Maiden, for example a very rock solo, almost like Hendrix used to play but also very close to Uli John Roth.
Really interesting.

The Alchemist - The fastest track from the beginning of the album, but more classical. It looks like Judas Priest or Helloween.
(Hard to translate here.....) It's like the three guitars are answering to each others. This track could be really good live and could have been the first single, especially because it's a shorter track.

Isle of Avalon - This song, with a very long intro, seems very long to begin but then it grows in power. There is kind of echo on Bruce's voice, almost magical.
In a few moments of the song, the guitars are a bit psychedelic, like if they were on a jam session (very uncommon for Maiden!)
A bit too long, this title, very progressive, like a Rush song, has a very catchy chorus and it stays in mind and is really interesting.

Starblind - Very soft intro with very cryptic lyrics with then a big riff.
Very unusual sound for the guitars, once again they answer to each other.
The second part is especially interesting with an epic final!

The Talisman - Acoustic guitar again, sounding from Middle Ages or sailor's chant.
It goes very strongly on a long intro.
This long piece sees the elements raging on a lost boat in deep sea.
Can be really strong live. We can't imagine this track followed by ROTAM!!!!!!!
Nevertheless, a bit too long but after a second listen of that song, that feeling disappears.
We can once again think about Rush on this title.

The Man Who Would Be King - A story about guiltiness after a murder for a very dark story of revenge which begins slowly, with a little bit of synthesizer.
The battle of the three guitars is once again terrific, but very unsual for Maiden.

When The Wild Wind Blows - A traditionnal song from Harris, almost 11 minutes which reminds us epic songs like "TLOTLDR" or "ATG". It begins on a cheerful ryhtm, almost bouncy, which is really paradoxical considering the subject of the song that is to say the power of the media, the audiovisual mirage : A couple built for themselves an anti-atomic shelter with food and prepaired themselves to the worst. But one day, we find that man and tha woman dead in the arms with empty bottle of poison next to them.
Too much conditioned by the power of the media who said it was the Apocalypse but it was only an earthquake!
Sound of wind blowing, rock solo never heard before in Maiden, unusual groove, this track is built on a terrific riff followed by a catchy and classical Maidenish final.
This song, despite her length is pretty pleasant to listen to wihtout looking at the time.

As usual, Steve Harris wrote the 10 titles letting Adrian Smith, already very present on AMOLAD, co-writing 6 songs.
Bruce Dickinson is only co-writing 4 texts, Janick Gers 2 and Dave Murray 1.
The article reminds us that Harris is the "boss" and has his veto on each songs.
The Final Frontier goes further in the experiment than AMOLAD did, no doubt about it. It's not a bad thing cause it shows that the band wants to evolve and is very brave.
A few songs could disconcert the fans but after many listens they will find in that album many satisfying elements.
Iron Maiden refuses to stagnate and accept with that album to unsettle the more faithful aficionados (die-hard fans).
Maybe we could regret that a few tracks are unnecessarily long!
With a few minutes less, they could have win much more impact and strength.
Nevertheless it is a very interesting (yes again!) album, if not a classical! And this is the most important in itself!

Music Radar - http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... 23#content

Sounds like we're in for some different things from Maiden.

Then again, lots of pre-reviews for A Matter of Life and Death said that album was different, and it really wasn't that different than what they had done before.

I do wish more of these reviewers gave their opinion on El Dorado as it's still the only full song we've all heard. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back