New album: The Final Frontier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
just thought of another TFF SIT connection those are the only albums when the title track is the album opener and when the title track has something added to the title (e.g Satelite 15)

I am about to lose it with anticipation.  Yes I am beginning to see a SIT sort of thing going on here.  I cannot freaking wait anymore!!!  This is going to be epic!!  All I can do is blast  El Dorado!!!  Again!!

Prisoner Of Maiden said:
Yup this album sounds like it has alot of resemblances to SIT which i a great thing for me!

Well...maybe thematically....but SIT also was famous for the lush production and wall of reverb.  Sounds like Shirley is obssessed with the dry production sound of the last few records.

If this was true, don't you think that someone wouldn't have made an mp3 out of it? It would be all over the net. The link was posted on June 9. Of course it's bull.

Jed said:
Well...maybe thematically....but SIT also was famous for the lush production and wall of reverb.  Sounds like Shirley is obssessed with the dry production sound of the last few records.
      SIT is my fav as far as productiong goes. Kevin doesnt like reverb :(

hockeyguy666 said:
      SIT is my fav as far as productiong goes. Kevin doesnt like reverb :(

I here ya.  I love the 'surreal' quality it adds to SIT's sound...definitely gives it that sci-fi vibe. 

I like Kev and his work...but sometimes his production feels a little too claustrophobic to me.  It's as if he is focused on this mythical quest of trying to duplicate their live sound by keeping everthing as organic and dry as possible.  The irony is that the natural stage reverb is one reason why Maiden sounds massive live (most notably the guitars).

Gary Graff of Billboard.com recently spoke to IRON MAIDEN guitarist Dave Murray about "The Final Frontier", the band's forthcoming 15th studio LP which will be released in North America on August 17 (one day earlier internationally) via Universal Music Enterprises (UMe).

Speed and warmth are the hallmarks of "The Final Frontier," Iron Maiden's 15th studio album. The British metal sextet recorded at Compass Point Studios in the Bahamas -- returning to the spot where the group had previously recorded between 1983-86.

"We breezed through the album, really," guitarist Dave Murray tells Billboard.com. "We actually finished it in six weeks. We were getting down a track a day -- all playing together as a band, Bruce (Dickinson) singing, all in the same room, so there's a very live-in-the-studio feel to it. Once we finished a track we'd jump straight into doing some extra guitar bits. It was very quick for us."

Murray says the 10-track set, produced by Kevin Shirley, mixes "straight-ahead, uptempo rock songs with good grooves with some other tracks that are kind of longer and more complex." One, the politically-tinged "El Dorado," is currently available for fans to download. Another highlight is the album-closing "When the Wild Wind Blows," an 11-minute track that's one of the longest songs Iron Maiden has ever recorded. "The rhythm's a little bit different from what we've done before, and there's lots of melodies," Murray reports. "It's a big song. We learned it in sections just because it was such a complex arrangement, but it sounds quite natural (on the record)."

"The Final Frontier" is Iron Maiden's first set of new material since 2006's "A Matter of Life and Death," the group's longest gap ever between studio albums. But Murray says that thanks to other projects -- including 2009's platinum-selling, award-winning documentary "Flight 666" -- the group didn't feel the time pass. "There was still a lot of stuff coming out from the band, so it doesn't feel like four years," he says. "I guess time flies when you're having fun."

The Iron Maiden gang is getting its kicks again on the road, atypically touring before a new album's release. The group -- which wraps its North American trek on July 20 and kicks off in Europe 10 days later -- is playing "El Dorado" amongst established favorites such as "The Number of the Beast," "Hallowed Be Thy Name" and "Iron Maiden," but Murray says it's looking forward to bringing more of the new material to the stage in the future.

"It's summer so we just wanted to go out and enjoy ourselves and play a lot of old material are fans are going to know," he explains. "We'll definitely be out again -- We're not sure when, but we'll definitely be playing more songs from the new album. But at the moment it's nice because you're always planning ahead and what you're going to be doing in five years, and sometimes it's nice to just live in the moment."

http://www.billboard.com/news#/news/iro ... 1855.story

Hey man? Not gonna play moderator (as I'm not one and it's not my prerogative) but I suggest you spoiler that interview since it contains songs played on the tour - And name dropping gets you banned.

There's an icon saying "spoiler" when you press edit your post. Select it and put your post inbetween the spoiler tags.
Thanks for the interveiw though.

They released singles for over 30 years. I don't see any reason that they will not release a physical single, "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg" single sold very well and was on the top charts in many countries... there are 6 weeks until album's release, it enough time to release single before album comes out. 

That's true, but Maiden is the only of the great bands in the world that don't give a shit for singles and according to what's been said about the album, a hit single is something you won't find on The Final Frontier (no wonder El Dorado was made available, which I feel it's one of the lesser tracks in the album, even being an amazing song). Maiden is getting more and more stuck to its roots and what they're all about since day one.

If it's true, it's a quest for collectors who'll have to spend some good money to get El Dorado's promo cd.

It would be fun to get a single with a b-side. Hmmmm, I wonder what cover song would be on it. I know it won't happen, but I'd die to hear Child In Time covered.

i could see that i dont think maiden has coverd dp yet. and bruce is huge fan of Ian Gillan

Suicidehummer said:
Come on now, Bruce couldn't hit those notes these days....

He could if they didn't take the cover all that seriously, did it more for fun, and went all falsetto

Suicidehummer said:
Come on now, Bruce couldn't hit those notes these days....
I don't know about that. It's true that Bruce has lost a lot of his higher register, but his full voice is still very strong. I don't see why he couldn't pull off a more than respectable rendition of Highway Star or something. He certainly has more than enough voice for it, plus he can still do those types of screams as well. The screaming is hit or miss live, but the fact that there are still hits tells me that pulling it off in the studio would be very doable for him. I'd very much like to hear that.

Now the one I'd give my left testicle to hear Bruce sing would definitely be Child in Time. Probably too much to ask considering the unending hell he's put his voice through over the years, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back