Metallica

Probably wanted to up the pace a little bit out of the gate with a faster song in Slot #2. Wonder if they'll do the same with Night 2 and kick Ktulu back to the middle of the set.

Believe they do have a click in place for him and it was Greg Fidelman that might have suggested it from what I've heard. Also helps that they're not trying to play the songs at a faster-than-recorded pace as much.

I think it's an intro click to get tempos in the right range (similar to how Nicko has a visual click for starting at least some songs) since otherwise Lars's tempos are definitely not perfectly consistent, especially during fills.

I think it's an intro click to get tempos in the right range (similar to how Nicko has a visual click for starting at least some songs) since otherwise Lars's tempos are definitely not perfectly consistent, especially during fills.
There's a comparison I saw online of the band doing Sad But True recently (with click) compared to 15 years ago. The tempo of the song stayed the same in the recent clip while the band was noticeably faster at the end of the older performance.

It's a weird dynamic in the group. I've heard before that Lars plays to James rather than James playing to, y'know, the drummer.

There's a comparison I saw online of the band doing Sad But True recently (with click) compared to 15 years ago. The tempo of the song stayed the same in the recent clip while the band was noticeably faster at the end of the older performance.

It's a weird dynamic in the group. I've heard before that Lars plays to James rather than James playing to, y'know, the drummer.
I read where Lars guided and shaped James playing with his drumming up until Load, then he switched to drumming to the riff.

Did my first Metallica concert yesterday in Gothenburg, and... I'm not very impressed at all. I had low expectations and thats what they delivered.
This is a Maiden forum so of course we're biased, but Maiden seem to be on a completely other level of musicianship when doing live performance.

It felt Lars was out of sync in like every song. I'm a drummer myself, and maybe it was just something that other drummers notices. But it kinda ruined a large part of the experience. I'm not really for shitting on other musicians, but I still paid 100€ and it felt like seeing a twelve year old with an overgrown ego from playing Rock Band on Xbox, bashing the shit out of his drums with disregard to the music.
I can really imagine the rest of the band having quite a struggle keeping up with a drummer who cant keep his tempo
Also the drums was way too high in the mix, had to concentrate to hear Kirk.

In the middle Trujillo took the mic and introduced something that he and Kirk made up in the dressing room 15 min before show.
I expected something like a popular swedish folk song as a tribute to the location. But it was just some super wierd funk riff which felt really off.

Also, because of the round stage we spent like 50% of the show without seeing anyone playing. Which made cheering a bit wierd. Maybe we just picked a bad spot

Though, I must give it up for James. He was on fire and carried the show for my part.

Did my first Metallica concert yesterday in Gothenburg, and... I'm not very impressed at all. I had low expectations and thats what they delivered.
This is a Maiden forum so of course we're biased, but Maiden seem to be on a completely other level of musicianship when doing live performance.

It felt Lars was out of sync in like every song. I'm a drummer myself, and maybe it was just something that other drummers notices. But it kinda ruined a large part of the experience. I'm not really for shitting on other musicians, but I still paid 100€ and it felt like seeing a twelve year old with an overgrown ego from playing Rock Band on Xbox, bashing the shit out of his drums with disregard to the music.
I can really imagine the rest of the band having quite a struggle keeping up with a drummer who cant keep his tempo
Also the drums was way too high in the mix, had to concentrate to hear Kirk.

In the middle Trujillo took the mic and introduced something that he and Kirk made up in the dressing room 15 min before show.
I expected something like a popular swedish folk song as a tribute to the location. But it was just some super wierd funk riff which felt really off.

Also, because of the round stage we spent like 50% of the show without seeing anyone playing. Which made cheering a bit wierd. Maybe we just picked a bad spot

Though, I must give it up for James. He was on fire and carried the show for my part.
I'd really hoped they'd left the "Kirk/Rob Doodles" behind on the last tour as it was one of the lamest things I've ever seen, but apparently they have not.

Otherwise, yes, James is the heart, soul, and rhythmic leader of the band live. Lars is pointless.

Reactions: Jer
To my understanding, the Kirk/Rob doodle made its return yesterday. It wasn't done on any other gig this tour. This past weekend in Gothenburg I think they decided to cut some of the intro tapes out from some songs as they started to rely on them pretty heavy to give the band a break after 3-4 songs.

I think you went into with the wrong expectations. Lars is Lars. The fuckups in Master of Puppets were pretty hilarious though, I have never heard him mess up that song before. The stage was awesome. I was standoff-ish about it at first, but when I was there I was positively surprised by it. It would never have worked without the LEDs though, that's for sure. At the second show, we were let into the circle for the final 5 or so songs. That was epic.

I've seen 5 Metallica shows all in all; I'm a casual Metallica fan, but I find them equally as enjoyable as Maiden live. It's a shame that you didn't enjoy it, but take comfort in the fact that probably almost all did, and if you don't go in and expect or hope for a drummer that is not Lars, then you probably will too. It was a really good show and the crowd buzz afterwards was tangibly positive.

Last edited:
I haven't seen Metallica live since the Death Magnetic tour. They seem to be holding up pretty well judging by the few videos I've seen. Some minor quibbles are I could do without the overly large, sprawling stage and the Rob and Kirk doodles. And I'm sorry but I just cannot stand to watch Lars play, flicking that little lizard tongue of his every 3 seconds. It's just annoying and gross :lol:

Back