Metallica

Also it explains why Metallica change their setlists, Maiden wouldn’t do that also for stage show logistics i.e. props timing and such things.

One could say the main reason Maiden don’t change their setlists is pure laziness, given that there are many songs without props in their shows. :D

I have done 2 or more Maiden shows every tour since 2006 and by the second one you get a feel of deja vu (no pun intended): same setlist, same choreography, same rants… There is sometimes some deviation from the script (the reaction to the power cut at Earls Court in 2006, Bruce joking with the people on a crane in Oslo in 2008), but that is the exception rather than the rule.

Another possibility is that they want to give exactly the same show to every punter and they’d rather present the same setlist than add some variation to the show.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Ok it’s laziness. Then the next question would be when this laziness started to be applied in their lives set-lists? We know by now that they started to be lazy with rehearsals in 90s during the recording of X Factor (heavy use of copy paste, no guitar harmonies)

Ok it’s laziness. Then the next question would be when this laziness started to be applied in their lives set-lists? We know by now that they started to be lazy with rehearsals in 90s during the recording of X Factor (heavy use of copy paste, no guitar harmonies)
I actually think it stems less from laziness and more from the demand for "set piece" moments during the live shows. If you change the songs, you can't have airplanes and flame throwers and cages and ropes and demons and blah blah blah built into the set.

I actually think it stems less from laziness and more from the demand for "set piece" moments during the live shows. If you change the songs, you can't have airplanes and flame throwers and cages and ropes and demons and blah blah blah built into the set.

Yes this is what I said in the first place but then the jury decided other wise :confused:

One could say the main reason Maiden don’t change their setlists is pure laziness, given that there are many songs without props in their shows. :D
Laziness it is.
Absolutely laziness. It must be very difficult to play Wrathchild or Sanctuary and including them in the setlist sometimes.
I understand it for Bruce and maybe Nicko, but sorry, Maiden’s songs just aren’t that hard to play and if they really wanted to they could rotate songs. But they don’t want to, and I get that, but still.

Why does this always descend into a vs thread?

Metallica are the biggest band in the world. They can afford to record and release every show. They have more than triple the number of road crew which means they have a full rehearsal studio built backstage for each gig (which is also fully recordable, see video). This also allows them flexibility to change setlists at short notice, having a bigger team to adjust the stage show.

I don't believe the reason that Maiden don't film every show or change their set every show is due to pure laziness as alleged above. After all, they play as many if not more tours and shows than Metallica do and without the advantage of private jets for each member. Metallica, on this tour have the luxury of 5-6 days off between venues.

Sure, it'd be nice that Maiden shows were a bit more spontaneous but I appreciate that they spend weeks rehearsing the fuck out of their setlist and go out and play it perfectly each night.

They don't make anywhere near the amount of fuck-ups that Kirk or Lars do for that reason.

Didn't mean for it to start something that could become an us vs. them. I simply thought it would be cool if Maiden could switch up their setlists like Metallica knowing that they can't/don't. And I'm perfectly cool with that.

As far as being "lazy" with their setlists they've operated this way since the early 80's so I guess they've always been "lazy". Whatever :rolleyes:

Just looking at that rehearsal room makes me realize how much better James looks nowadays out of rehab. He really didn't look good during that summer run in 2019.

There is sometimes some deviation from the script (the reaction to the power cut at Earls Court in 2006, Bruce joking with the people on a crane in Oslo in 2008), but that is the exception rather than the rule.

Guess I’m lucky then. Last summer was my first Maiden concert in 6+ years and the second in 14 and witnessed a major deviation from the script! :D

Ahh again poor Maiden cannot afford anything, only private jets, but more crew is too much money, or bigger stage production...

I’m pretty sure Hetfield has always played the rhythms on albums?

As others have said, not on some of the albums. And also, it's not an issue as much for me on a lot of the classic albums where the arrangements are more varied in general, the running order is to suit vinyl so again giving a bit of dynamics, and even in general there's a bit more colour added than on recent albums like the melody in the chorus of Sad But True

Just to be clear, nobody for me will be even close to Maiden, but I cant stand when sombody is trying to find excuse for their laziness towards fans in last decade.

They all proved that they can pleased fans in 00's with great tour sets, bunch of various releases. Now they are more focused on their side projects, beer and mobile game than Maiden. I can understand that money is there, but Steve is playing two sets this summer and Bruce is running around the world and performing differenet stuff on stage but they cant do some special TNOTB show for 40th birthday, oh c'mon...

They are on top, and they dont need to do anything they will sell tickets but as a fan I miss activity of 00's Maiden.

On the other hand, I did not like 00's Metallica, MTV Icon, St.Anger, Documentary but after Death Magentic I started to like them because of their amazing activity towards fan base.

Last edited:
or bigger stage production...
Just to be clear, nobody for me will be even close to Maiden, but I cant stand when sombody is trying to find excuse for their laziness towards fans in last decade.

They all proved that they can pleased fans in 00's with great tour sets, bunch of various releases. Now they are more focused on their side projects, beer and mobile game than Maiden. I can understand that money is there, but Steve is playing two sets this summer and Bruce is running around the world and performing differenet stuff on stage but they cant do some special TNOTB show for 40th birthday, oh c'mon...

They are on top, and they dont need to do anything they will sell tickets but as a fan I miss activity of 00's Maiden.
They don't need (even) a bigger stage production, especially in terms of the show they want to put on. They probably also didn't change songs between some shows due to the backdrops being done months in advance. Maiden's shows are special! I understand you and I agree, but Maiden have never been such a band that changes setlists often (since the beginning), do special anniversaries releases/tours and other bouns stuff - although they have the fanbase and the artworks(!) for all this. I think it's not strange that their side projects are more interesting to them (and I don't have in mind Bruce's spoken tour). Sure, they can be called ''lazy'' since 2003, but their management is far from bad! That's not serious. And ''lazy'' is a bit over the top given the amount of tours, live releases and albums since the Reunion. Their theatrical shows (especially for the last 2 tours) are also a reason. I just want they would change a bit more/or more regularly some songs between legs of a tour. That's it. Live albums are a cool bonus, I want video concerts the most. Special stuff would be great only if they have enough bonus material from all eras, although I'm always up for new artworks with Eddie.

Maiden's career will never be repeated!

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic. What Metallica are doing with their video releases and setlists is great. No wonder they are one of the most successful bands. But... they should definitely play the (last 3) songs with the NWOBHM harmonies live. :)

I thought you were talking about the (post album drop) music videos for the new album and was going to ask "What are you talking? They're predominantly shit?"

Master of Puppets is definitely their best produced album in the 80s.

The Black Album and Load are really well-produced, but I have never been able to connect with the material.
Its funny because MoP might have great songs but I simply can't listen to it because of the dry production (for lack of a better word). Even more funny, I think RtL's production is way better (which might sound ironic since its the same producer and done in the same studio!!).
When I want to listen to MoP (the song itself) I'd rather listen to the S&M version or any other live version than the studio one that sounds really powerless...

Back